Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matt Millers 7rd mock

Legend

User Info Menu

Bouchette posted that piece a while ago, but I have a hard time believing that the Steelers will go into the season with that line. I would like to see Starks return and battle it out with Adams and Gilbert. If he leaves, I think a developmental rookie for depth at OT is a need, but not a premium pick.

I think Beachum is best suited for a Trai Essex role. I doubt they go into the season with him as the only option at LG. I think either Foster or Colon will return. Maybe Colon takes a pay cut. I doubt he could find the salary he has with the Steelers on the open market. I suspect that Foster will end up in AZ. If they both leave, then I think a midround guard becomes a need.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Did everyone forget about Legursky?
    With Malecki playing backup at guard, they also would have Legursky if he signs to play guard and center.
    Maybe the Steelers are thinking if one of their tackles go down they could use Beachum as backup to tackle and let either Legursky or Malecki take beachum's place if injury occurs.

They also have Joe Long a Tackle on either the future reserves or practice squad and guard Justin Cheadle. They may go with what they have if Foster,Colon, and Starks leaves, and not even draft a o-lineman.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Bouchette posted that piece a while ago, but I have a hard time believing that the Steelers will go into the season with that line. I would like to see Starks return and battle it out with Adams and Gilbert. If he leaves, I think a developmental rookie for depth at OT is a need, but not a premium pick.

I think Beachum is best suited for a Trai Essex role. I doubt they go into the season with him as the only option at LG. I think either Foster or Colon will return. Maybe Colon takes a pay cut. I doubt he could find the salary he has with the Steelers on the open market. I suspect that Foster will end up in AZ. If they both leave, then I think a midround guard becomes a need.
    It's less than a month old and was written after the season in 2013. It's about as up to date as it can be right now. And he didn't say (nor did I) that no draft picks could be used on o-lineman, but if the Steelers think they have a starting line, then logic dictates they are most likely not spending an early round pick (1 or 2, possibly even 3) on one as there is not a need for a starter while there are some serious needs at other positons. Certainly they will look for additional back-ups in later rounds.

Legend

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, WalterFootball has us taking a 3-4 DE in round 2 in their most recent mock:

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia

Boom. Jarvis Jones drops to No. 17 overall in this mock. I had Jones going No. 2 overall a few updates ago, but check out Charlie's rumor mill entry on why Jones is expected to slide.

I believe dumb groupthink will cause Jones to fall on Draft Day. General managers will be petrified of his spinal issue. But, as smart teams like the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, etc. often do, they'll snatch up a plummeting draft prospect and laugh at all of the dumb organizations constantly picking in the top 10 as they field yet another Pro Bowler.

Jones isn't just the best player available; he fills a big need as well. James Harrison may not be back next year. He'll be due $6.6 million as a 35-year-old who is having trouble staying healthy. The Steelers may spend an early pick on a rush linebacker.

48. Pittsburgh Steelers: Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU

The Steelers need some help on the defensive line. Cameron Heyward and especially Ziggy Hood have been disappointments. Meanwhile, Brett Keisel, 35 in September, is entering his contract year.

79. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida

Rashard Mendenhall won't be back next year and Jonathan Dwyer isn't viewed as a starter per reports, so the Steelers will need to find a new running back.

112. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma

The Steelers never shy away from a play-maker if one provides good value. The butterfingered Mike Wallace could be gone this offseason.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php[/URL]
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For what it's worth, WalterFootball has us taking a 3-4 DE in round 2 in their most recent mock:

17. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jarvis Jones, DE/OLB, Georgia

Boom. Jarvis Jones drops to No. 17 overall in this mock. I had Jones going No. 2 overall a few updates ago, but check out Charlie's rumor mill entry on why Jones is expected to slide.

I believe dumb groupthink will cause Jones to fall on Draft Day. General managers will be petrified of his spinal issue. But, as smart teams like the Steelers, Giants, Ravens, etc. often do, they'll snatch up a plummeting draft prospect and laugh at all of the dumb organizations constantly picking in the top 10 as they field yet another Pro Bowler.

Jones isn't just the best player available; he fills a big need as well. James Harrison may not be back next year. He'll be due $6.6 million as a 35-year-old who is having trouble staying healthy. The Steelers may spend an early pick on a rush linebacker.

48. Pittsburgh Steelers: Margus Hunt, DE/DT, SMU

The Steelers need some help on the defensive line. Cameron Heyward and especially Ziggy Hood have been disappointments. Meanwhile, Brett Keisel, 35 in September, is entering his contract year.

79. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Gillislee, RB, Florida

Rashard Mendenhall won't be back next year and Jonathan Dwyer isn't viewed as a starter per reports, so the Steelers will need to find a new running back.

112. Pittsburgh Steelers: Kenny Stills, WR, Oklahoma

The Steelers never shy away from a play-maker if one provides good value. The butterfingered Mike Wallace could be gone this offseason.

[URL]http://walterfootball.com/draft2013.php[/URL]
    Hunt and Jones would certainly help our pass rush.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Did everyone forget about Legursky?
    With Malecki playing backup at guard, they also would have Legursky if he signs to play guard and center.
    Maybe the Steelers are thinking if one of their tackles go down they could use Beachum as backup to tackle and let either Legursky or Malecki take beachum's place if injury occurs.

They also have Joe Long a Tackle on either the future reserves or practice squad and guard Justin Cheadle. They may go with what they have if Foster,Colon, and Starks leaves, and not even draft a o-lineman.
    We haven't forgotten about Legursky, unfortunately it is all too fresh a memory how bad he was at Guard this past season
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    It's less than a month old and was written after the season in 2013. It's about as up to date as it can be right now. And he didn't say (nor did I) that no draft picks could be used on o-lineman, but if the Steelers think they have a starting line, then logic dictates they are most likely not spending an early round pick (1 or 2, possibly even 3) on one as there is not a need for a starter while there are some serious needs at other positons. Certainly they will look for additional back-ups in later rounds.
    I didn't mean to be critical, but I'm pretty sure that the article does predate the hiring of the new offensive line coach. I'd imagine that he would have some input on the players.

There is some split of opinion between the writers. I'm pretty sure that I've seen some speculation that Colon will return because cutting him saves little.

In any event, I agree with you that I do not think the Steelers will use an early pick on the offensive line.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Hunt and Jones would certainly help our pass rush.

Isn't Hunt like 26?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We haven't forgotten about Legursky, unfortunately it is all too fresh a memory how bad he was at Guard this past season
    I hope that we'll be able to forget about Legursky. He is adequate at center but awful at OG. From what I saw of Malecki in the preseason, he is very mobile but not great at the point of attack, and by not great, I mean awful.

I'm hopeful that the Steelers find a new backup OG/OC, either a low level veteran signing or a late draft pick/UDFA.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I hope that we'll be able to forget about Legursky. He is adequate at center but awful at OG. From what I saw of Malecki in the preseason, he is very mobile but not great at the point of attack, and by not great, I mean awful.

I'm hopeful that the Steelers find a new backup OG/OC, either a low level veteran signing or a late draft pick/UDFA.
    Or draft Barrett Jones from Alabama in Round 2 who can play OT, G and C