Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger is our John Elway

Backup

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger is our John Elway

Here are John Elway's career statistics split between his first 10 seasons in the NFL and his last six...

1983-1992

2,375/4,339, 30,216 yards, 158 TD, 157 INT

54.7% completion
    212.8 yards per game
    7.0 yards per attempt

3.6% TD
    3.6% INT
    1.01 TD/INT ratio

331 sacks
    7.1% sack

73.8 rating

1993-1998

1,748/2,911, 21,259 yards, 142 TD, 69 INT

60.0% completion
    238.9 yards per game
    7.3 yards per attempt

4.9% TD
    2.4% INT
    2.06 TD/INT ratio

185 sacks
    6.0% sack

88.9 rating

And here's Elway's injury history...

1983: Injured during the fifth game, did not play the next four games

1984: Injured during the first game, active but did not start the next game

1986: Injured during the third game, started the next game

1987: Injured during the second game, did not play the next three games

1990: Injured during the eighth game, started the next game

1992: Injured during the 10th game, did not play the next four games

1994: Injured during the 13th game, did not play the next game; injured during the 15th game, did not play the next game

1995: Injured during the 10th game, started the next game

1998: Injured during the third game, did not play the next two games; injured during the ninth game, did not play the next game

John Elway had moments of greatness during his first 10 years in the NFL, but was not the most consistent QB in the NFL. He had plenty of good games with some great games embedded therein, but every now and then he'd have some bad games too, and his bad games were terrible. He also had a lengthy injury history, and people said he took too many sacks. Does this all sound familiar? It should.

If Bronco fans were like Steeler fans, then many of them would have started calling Elway "dumb" by 1990, claiming that he's not "cerebral" enough to ever be a great QB, and asking why he couldn't be more like Joe Montana, Dan Marino, Troy Aikman or Jim Kelly. Other fans would have lamented the decline of the Broncos by pointing to Elway's injury history, claiming that he was on the downside of his career, and that his best days were in the past. Some would even go so far as to suggest trading him away.

Of course, as we all know, Elway's best days were yet to come, and he became a better and more consistent QB during his last six seasons in the league than he was during his first 10 seasons. The Broncos gave him a stellar offensive line and an excellent running game, which brought out the best in him. Nobody tried to discredit him for having such a good supporting cast either, nor did anybody question his greatness despite a poor stat line when he finally won his first Super Bowl.

We're blessed to have our John Elway now. His name is Ben Roethlisberger, and he needs to be given more respect. If Elway and the Broncos weren't done by 1992, then Roethlisberger and the Steelers sure as hell aren't done now. And if Elway was a great QB, then goddamn it; Roethlisberger is a great QB too.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

so..... we need to find a Terrell Davis in this draft to carry the team? I agree...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    so..... we need to find a Terrell Davis in this draft to carry the team? I agree...
    Was thinking the same exact thing. Need the OL and RB and stud pass catching TE (Heath is very good...just mean he is currently injured and may miss some season).
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Was thinking the same exact thing. Need the OL and RB and stud pass catching TE (Heath is very good...just mean he is currently injured and may miss some season).

I'd be totally OK if three of our first four picks were for "OL and RB and stud pass catching TE." That is exactly what we need.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I'd be totally OK if three of our first four picks were for "OL and RB and stud pass catching TE." That is exactly what we need.
    Agreed......
    @_Hellgrammite

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    +1...We need to build the offense...but it would be nice to fit in a pass rusher somewhere in the mix...

Rookie

User Info Menu

i couldnt agree more,the people who piss and moan about Ben,will roo the day he retires!!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

So does that mean that Ben will be our GM 15 years from now, and convince Andrew Luck to spend his late-30's quarterbacking our team?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    So does that mean that Ben will be our GM 15 years from now, and convince Andrew Luck to spend his late-30's quarterbacking our team?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

This article sums up our thoughts on Ben, give the man the tools to work his trade.
    [url]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/02/[/url]...

Read the article Ben Motivated bt Flacco.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-09-2013 at 11:31 PM.