Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We Must Hit It Big In The Draft or 8-8 seasons will become common.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We Must Hit It Big In The Draft or 8-8 seasons will become common.

I know the FO will do everything possible to improve the team, Rooney came out public and said this season is unacceptable and changes will be made.
    He also said we better have the players to replace the ones that won't be here.

With the cap situation and few dollars to sign FA's its imperative we do well in the draft in order to improve as a team, even with that, the reality is we don't have enough quality players to step up and play at a high level.

You can't lose Harrison, Mendy, Wallace, three of your O-lineman, and expect to compete for a championship. Oh, we'll be competitive but I thinks its going to take at least two great draft years to get back to be a playoff team.
    If we lose Colon, Starks, and Foster who in the hell is going to play on that o-lin e if someone gets injured?

Who do we have that can take James Harrison's place?

We'll need another receiver but who will be as good as Wallace right away?

I didn't even mention RB, or the possibility of Foote leaving so as you can see they have their work cut out for them.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I want to hit it big and I too think it is important but you are exaggerating the importance of it as well as ignoring the biggest factor in this teams success as well as why it went 8-8.

Their star QB needs to be healthy. Plan and simple. If they draft a great player in this draft yet isn't a factor until 2014 yet Ben stays healthy this team will be on the over-side of 8-8. And way over it.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Im not ignoring the injuries, I took that into consideration but thats with our current team. I'm talking about the projections of losing the above players even with a healthy Ben.

Quote:

Their star QB needs to be healthy. Plan and simple. If they draft a great player in this draft yet isn't a factor until 2014 yet Ben stays healthy this team will be on the over-side of 8-8. And way over it.

Considering the players we will lose, saying we will be way over 8-8 next season is exaggerating the facts the Steelers have to deal with.

Legend

User Info Menu

Probably more important than 'who they draft in 2013' is 'who they drafted leading up to 2013'.

Guys like Worilds, McLendon, Sanders, Redman, Dwyer & Cortez Allen are the keys to success or failure in 2013 in many ways. They'll be the ones asked to fill the holes opened up on the roster- not the 2013 rookies.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

8-8 seasons will only be common if Ben continues to miss 3 games and play hurt the rest of the season. Make the OL better and you will preclude that from happening. Fail to do that and get use to being average because there is no alternative to Ben.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    8-8 seasons will only be common if Ben continues to miss 3 games and play hurt the rest of the season. Make the OL better and you will preclude that from happening. Fail to do that and get use to being average because there is no alternative to Ben.
    For the millionth time, you can't assume that if they draft another 1st round OL, that BB won't get hurt. Let's not forget that the past 2 TWO years that BB got hurt, it was all on him. Had every opportunity to get rid of the ball but instead tried to make a play and got hurt. Injuries happen.

Go back and look at the video of the KC game where got hurt.. It was 3rd down and 4. He had Miller on 1 on 1 coverage and could've made a 1st down if he threw to him, but never looked his way, and then down he went...All on him.
    Last edited by pfelix73; 02-05-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Im not ignoring the injuries, I took that into consideration but thats with our current team. I'm talking about the projections of losing the above players even with a healthy Ben.

Quote:

Considering the players we will lose, saying we will be way over 8-8 next season is exaggerating the facts the Steelers have to deal with.
    This Organization will not lose any significant player that they need or that they don't already have a viable replacement for. This is the Pittsburgh Steelers...not sure if you have ever heard of them?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Probably more important than 'who they draft in 2013' is 'who they drafted leading up to 2013'.

Guys like Worilds, McLendon, Sanders, Redman, Dwyer & Cortez Allen are the keys to success or failure in 2013 in many ways. They'll be the ones asked to fill the holes opened up on the roster- not the 2013 rookies.
    I think we can add Adams and Gilbert to that list. I don't think we'll bring Starks back next year. With cash in short supply, I think the team will roll with our highly drafted tackles.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers don't necessarily need a home run, but they cannot strike out. If Mendenhall and Mundy leave, the Steelers will have no players left from the NFL draft. That hurts. They drafted a RB, a big WR and a pass rusher in the first three picks; those remain areas of need today. The 2009 draft was more successful, but if Wallace and Lewis both leave, the Steelers are left with only Ziggy Hood. The 2009 UDFAs produced Foster and Redman, but Foster is no given to return, either.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Everyone thought we "Hit it Big" in last year's draft.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.