Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If Harrison cut.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If Harrison is cut, look for the whole defense to suffer. Look at the numbers that Timmons in particular posted with and without Harrison in the lineup.
    Agreed, can't lose a guy like Harrison without serious consequences. But, he is old, fighting injuries and expensive. We all know where this is going.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Harrison is cut...I agree with Philly that the defense suffers to what degree we won't know until it happens. However, looking back at last year the defense started slowly (Harrison not on the field), improved slightly during the middle portion of the season (Harrison playing himself into shape) and at the end of the year the defense was playing as well as any defense in the league (Harrison was getting leverage on OTs, pressure on the quarterback and making plays in the run game). IMO, another couple weeks and Harrison would have been getting sacks and making disruptive plays like the James Harrison we all know and love.

I hope the Steelers find a way to keep him for two more years and in particular next year, he's healthy and will come into camp healthy and hopefully, very salty from this past season.

The Steelers need his presence on defense for at least one more year to give someone, anyone a chance to do what he does.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

March 12, 2013:

In case anyone is wondering, that date is where the Steelers must be in Salary Cap Compliance. With only about 5 weeks to go the Steelers must be working hard to figure out who they keep and sign, restructure or receive pay cuts.
    Omar Khan has his work cut out for him.

Out of all the players we might lose, my hope is we can keep James Harrison at least for next season. He was coming on at the end of the season and could be 100% for the new season.
    I could be wrong but I have a feeling James will be back even under these difficult circumstances with the cap.

Legend

User Info Menu

harrision is damaged goods and wont warrant big money of he hits the open market.
    old, often injured and targeted by goodell wont draw lots of teams willing to give 7+

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    March 12, 2013:

In case anyone is wondering, that date is where the Steelers must be in Salary Cap Compliance. With only about 5 weeks to go the Steelers must be working hard to figure out who they keep and sign, restructure or receive pay cuts.
    Omar Khan has his work cut out for him.

Out of all the players we might lose, my hope is we can keep James Harrison at least for next season. He was coming on at the end of the season and could be 100% for the new season.
    I could be wrong but I have a feeling James will be back even under these difficult circumstances with the cap.
    That will largely be up to James Harrison. He will likely have a chance to stay with the Steelers. He won't make as much money but if he cares about retiring as a Steeler I think he will have that opportunity.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    harrision is damaged goods and wont warrant big money of he hits the open market.
    old, often injured and targeted by goodell wont draw lots of teams willing to give 7+
    I think that the Goodell factor will keep other teams away. It is tough when you go out and spend big money on a FA who has to play by different rules than everyone else.

Here is a conversation that I had with a friend while watching the Super Bowl. It happened right after the second last play by SF when they threw short to Crabtree and he was hit H2H and dropped the ball short. I still don't know why this has hardly been brought up as it was way more flaggable than the next play in the EZ.

Me: That should have been a flag. If that was Harrison the flag hits the ground before the ball does and he is suspended for 5 games next season.

Friend: That is because Harrison is dirty.

Me: The only reason why you think he is dirty is because every hit like that is flagged and fined and replayed over and over.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Disagree. Harrison started the year coming off knee surgery. He played very well by seasons end and probably has a couple more good years left. I can see the Ravens, for one, not caring about the idea of a Goodell target. I'm sure there are others. The man is a beast and will get paid if he chooses to go that route. Hopefully, he wants to remain a Steeler. I wouldn't blame him though if he chose to follow the cash for what little remaining time he has left.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Disagree. Harrison started the year coming off knee surgery. He played very well by seasons end and probably has a couple more good years left. I can see the Ravens, for one, not caring about the idea of a Goodell target. I'm sure there are others. The man is a beast and will get paid if he chooses to go that route. Hopefully, he wants to remain a Steeler. I wouldn't blame him though if he chose to follow the cash for what little remaining time he has left.
    I also think that the fact that the Ravens cut James after sending him to Europe still matters to him...I don't think he would sign with the Ravens simply because of the way he was treated...he seems to be that type of person to me...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    From what I understand, the Ravens are in salary cap he11 too. In fact, the sports pundits this morning were discussing the Ravens ditching Boldin (if that happens, then Flacco sucks again...) I wouldn't expect them to expend a large chunk for James.