Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wallace turned down 10 million a year

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I agree chadman. I'm willing to give rogers a bit of a pass on his TN days. He looked to me like a kid who was crying for discipline, but who had maybe the worst coach in tenn history in derek dooley. I mean this guy was clueless. From everything I heard rogers was a pretty good student and was basically an immature kid, but not a real trouble maker. IIRC, he was a 5 star prospect when he came out of georgia.

he was very impressive at TN his sophmore year, especially after justin hunter was hurt early in that year vs. UF and TN had nobody on the other side. He still'produced in a big way against excellent competetion while teams tried to take him away. I agree that he may be a real star. I would take him in the 3rd if we don't draft a WR earlier.
    Chadman would go so far as to take him in the 2nd to secure him. If the Steelers feel the same way is debateable... but if it were chadman... that'd be the WR he'd want.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Haley did a great job of nullifying Wallace's effectiveness....
    How many drops did Wallace have? How many plays did he quit on, or give less than maximum effort?
    Blame Haley all you want, but throw in the holdout, and it's clear to me that Wallace did as much or more to limit Wallace's effectiveness than Haley did.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    How many drops did Wallace have? How many plays did he quit on, or give less than maximum effort?
    Blame Haley all you want, but throw in the holdout, and it's clear to me that Wallace did as much or more to limit Wallace's effectiveness than Haley did.
    Understand all that. And for that, Wallace is to blame. But the Haley offense did not take advantage of the abilities Wallace brings to the game. Here's the thing- name another team that will use the deep threat WR as a short crossing route WR.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I bet on some of the routes were Heath got the reception Wallace was running a longer route. Same goes for when other players caught the pass. Did Ben throw to the open man on that play? Or one he knew would catch the ball?

We do not see every route and player on TV. Just because we seen Wallace run some different routes in Haleys offence does not mean the go routes for Wallace were all gone. Wallace did take a nice crossing route to the house in the giants game. I also remember that Leftwich did chuck a few deep when he played.

I am not so sure it was the Haley offense that made Wallace ineffective. I think it was more on Ben (shoulder maybe) and Wallace not playing to 100% more then the offense scheme. Wallace did last to the 3rd round for some reason.

We will all see what Wallace is made of on another team making big the big bucks.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Good riddins.... good luck chump!

Legend

User Info Menu

Mocks are just a bunch of guys wishing they were GM's. Don't put too much stock in them.

That said- one thing to not overlook IF the Steelers go Defense in Round 1 is simply age. The age of the Offense, as a whole, is quite young. This can't be said on Defense. The Steelers don't draft 'starters' necessarily in the Draft- they select 'future starters'. Like it or not- the Steelers are committed to young players along the OL, at WR & at RB. Drafting more young players for these spots is almost like giving up on the ones they are developing. Where as on Defense, there are no young safeties of note, Keisel, Harrison, Taylor, Foote, Hampton... there's a lot of age there. Long term, it makes more sense for the Defense to get the prime young player this season.
    While the receivers are young and the offense is young there is room for a receiver to come in and get playing time if he comes to camp ready to work, both mentally and physically. Patterson, Allen or Rogers appear to be receivers that could get playing time immediately from Haley if they prove they're ready for the NFL mentally more than physically.

On the other hand, I believe the Steelers will draft a defensive player in round one, but wouldn't be surprised by WR or RB.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Understand all that. And for that, Wallace is to blame. But the Haley offense did not take advantage of the abilities Wallace brings to the game. Here's the thing- name another team that will use the deep threat WR as a short crossing route WR.
    It worked ok against the Giants. When you have a guy with flat out speed, there is nothing wrong with getting him the ball short and putting him in a position to use the speed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    It worked ok against the Giants. When you have a guy with flat out speed, there is nothing wrong with getting him the ball short and putting him in a position to use the speed.
    $$$$ Wallace's problem is he want to get the ball downfield where he worries less about contact because he is past the defenders. He doesn't embrace getting the ball across the middle and getting YAC, but you are right because that is exactly what the great ones do.

As far as taking advanatage of Wallace's "abilities", people are missing the pont that the focus was on Ben's abilities and the key to that was keeping him upright and on the field. We had great success when we did that and when he went out injured we saw how much less this team is without. So given the choice between Ben's health and throwing bombs to Wallace someone would be a fool not to choose the former.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

$$$$ Wallace's problem is he want to get the ball downfield where he worries less about contact because he is past the defenders. He doesn't embrace getting the ball across the middle and getting YAC, but you are right because that is exactly what the great ones do.
    Wallace's 235 career catches were not all bombs downfield. This misconception that he doesn't want to catch anything other than a deep pass is simply recycled to suit an argument that he'll be easily replaced. The argument was not that he can't, or won't catch passes across the middle, but that hÃ*s best weapon in his arsenal is that he can get deep & make plays downfield- something Haley did not utilise as much as he could have.

As far as taking advanatage of Wallace's "abilities", people are missing the pont that the focus was on Ben's abilities and the key to that was keeping him upright and on the field. We had great success when we did that and when he went out injured we saw how much less this team is without.
    One would think that the idea of being a successful OC would incorporate utilising all his tools to the best of their ability, not just focussing on 1. And on that- the idea that Haley's offense keeps Ben healthy & on the field more- Ben missed 3 games in 2012. Want to know when was the last time he missed more than 3 games? 2010- when he missed 4 due to suspension.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't know why Keenan Allen is being ranked as the #1 WR in this draft when it seems clear to me that Hopkins from Clemson dwarfed his #s.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.