Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 48

Thread: Wallace turned down 10 million a year

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089

    Wallace turned down 10 million a year

    Report: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from the Steelers
    February 3, 2013
    by Paul Jackiewicz
    February 3, 2013

    According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, it looks like the Steelers and wide receiver Mike Wallace will part ways with one another this offseason after he turned down a five-year $10 million contract offer last year.

    They gave him their best offer last year, reportedly averaging $10 million annually over five years, and he turned it down. They stopped negotiating with Wallace once camp started and he did not show up, and quickly turned their attention to (Antonio) Brown. He signed a five-year contract for $42.5 million that included an $8.5 million signing bonus.

    Itís pretty shocking that Wallace turned down such a generous offer. I would love to know how much money heís looking for. I canít imagine Wallace getting over $10 million per year deal from any team.

  2. #2
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,161
    If accurate, Wallace just proved he was a douche for turning this down. He may have cost himself millions because I can't see a team stupid enough to give him that or more after this past season.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If accurate, Wallace just proved he was a douche for turning this down. He may have cost himself millions because I can't see a team stupid enough to give him that or more after this past season.
    Arizona... put him on the other side of Fitzgerald and it could be scary... and he may even take less just to reunite with BA... just sayin....
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,160
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Arizona... put him on the other side of Fitzgerald and it could be scary... and he may even take less just to reunite with BA... just sayin....
    they drafted a WR in the 1st round last year

  5. #5
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Arizona... put him on the other side of Fitzgerald and it could be scary... and he may even take less just to reunite with BA... just sayin....
    The Packers are losing Jennings & Driver, the Patriots could lose Welker & there is talk they will release Brandon Lloyd, Miami are after a #1 WR for Tannehill, the Lions are after a WR to put at #2.... there will be no shortage of options for Wallace.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  6. #6
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Report: Mike Wallace turned down $10 million a yr deal from the Steelers
    February 3, 2013
    by Paul Jackiewicz
    February 3, 2013

    According to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, it looks like the Steelers and wide receiver Mike Wallace will part ways with one another this offseason after he turned down a five-year $10 million contract offer last year.

    They gave him their best offer last year, reportedly averaging $10 million annually over five years, and he turned it down. They stopped negotiating with Wallace once camp started and he did not show up, and quickly turned their attention to (Antonio) Brown. He signed a five-year contract for $42.5 million that included an $8.5 million signing bonus.

    Itís pretty shocking that Wallace turned down such a generous offer. I would love to know how much money heís looking for. I canít imagine Wallace getting over $10 million per year deal from any team.
    The per year average doesn't mean much in the NFL. It is the amount that is guaranteed that matters. I would say it didn't differ a lot from what Brown was offered.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotlanta
    Posts
    1,990
    Here's the article by Bouchette for those interested:

    http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-of-it-673215/

  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407
    Big Rob is probably close to the mark- every report BEFORE this one says that the deal Wallace turned down was very similar to the one Brown signed.

    Chadman is very concerned that a WR group of Brown, Sanders & Cotchery isn't going to give Ben enough to work with. Any rookie brought in will sit no higher than 3rd on the depth chart, and chances are they will be less effective than Wallace was in 2012. Whichever way you look at it- the WR's will not be a 'better' group in 2013, and on top of this- we have no reliable ground game.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Big Rob is probably close to the mark- every report BEFORE this one says that the deal Wallace turned down was very similar to the one Brown signed.

    Chadman is very concerned that a WR group of Brown, Sanders & Cotchery isn't going to give Ben enough to work with. Any rookie brought in will sit no higher than 3rd on the depth chart, and chances are they will be less effective than Wallace was in 2012. Whichever way you look at it- the WR's will not be a 'better' group in 2013, and on top of this- we have no reliable ground game.
    As a thought we should think outside the box and look at a top TE as a receiver and not as a TE who is somehow less than getting a WR. That strategy has worked well for the Pats and other teams like the 49ers who are using TEs more effectively as weapons and not extra OTs.

    If Wallace leaves we should view that as needing to replace 64 receptions not needing a fast WR. I think Brown is plenty fast enough. We can do that a number of ways with TEs, RBs, etc. Don't need to have a Wallace clone to make that happen. It's not like Wallace proved himself impossible for the opponents to take out of a game the past season and a half.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #10
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    As a thought we should think outside the box and look at a top TE as a receiver and not as a TE who is somehow less than getting a WR. That strategy has worked well for the Pats and other teams like the 49ers who are using TEs more effectively as weapons and not extra OTs.

    If Wallace leaves we should view that as needing to replace 64 receptions not needing a fast WR. I think Brown is plenty fast enough. We can do that a number of ways with TEs, RBs, etc. Don't need to have a Wallace clone to make that happen. It's not like Wallace proved himself impossible for the opponents to take out of a game the past season and a half.
    Haley did a great job of nullifying Wallace's effectiveness....
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •