Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 48

Thread: Wallace turned down 10 million a year

  1. #31
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    3,969
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Big Rob is probably close to the mark- every report BEFORE this one says that the deal Wallace turned down was very similar to the one Brown signed.

    Chadman is very concerned that a WR group of Brown, Sanders & Cotchery isn't going to give Ben enough to work with. Any rookie brought in will sit no higher than 3rd on the depth chart, and chances are they will be less effective than Wallace was in 2012. Whichever way you look at it- the WR's will not be a 'better' group in 2013, and on top of this- we have no reliable ground game.
    Chadman, you may be right especially considering that Heath Miller may not be back at all next season, or if he is, he'll be recovering.

    However, don't underestimate a rookie WR's (or TE's) potential impact. It is one of the easiest positions for rookies to make an impact at. If one shows great promise, he will see the field, and they will find playing time for him. Cotchery is not unreplaceable and Sanders is often hurt.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Understand all that. And for that, Wallace is to blame. But the Haley offense did not take advantage of the abilities Wallace brings to the game. Here's the thing- name another team that will use the deep threat WR as a short crossing route WR.
    In 2012, Torrey Smith of the SB Champion Ravens (How I hate writing that!) totaled 49 receptions...24 of those were thrown 1-10 yards from the line of scrimmage...half of his receptions...

    It's more common than you seem to believe...

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    However, don't underestimate a rookie WR's (or TE's) potential impact. It is one of the easiest positions for rookies to make an impact at. If one shows great promise, he will see the field, and they will find playing time for him. Cotchery is not unreplaceable and Sanders is often hurt.
    I've always thought the opposite of WR. None of the first round WRs drafted this year had big numbers, though a few came on toward the end of the year. The Steelers last 2 first round WRs, Plax and Santonio, were awful as rookies (though Holmes did finish his rookie year well).

  4. #34
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    cordarelle patterson may lack top end speed, but I never saw anyone catch him on the football field.

    I suspect he will put up some outstanding #s at the combine.
    +1

    The guys is silky smooth... I would be hype if we got him.


  5. #35
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,442
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    +1

    The guys is silky smooth... I would be hype if we got him.

    Love what I see he does with the ball after he catches it. Doesn't go down on first hit like Wallace. However, is it me or the video but does it seem to anyone lese that he catches the ball with his body a lot? Sort of like Wallace does.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  6. #36
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,338
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't know why Keenan Allen is being ranked as the #1 WR in this draft when it seems clear to me that Hopkins from Clemson dwarfed his #s.
    Allen is a more impressive physical speciman than Hopkins. The difference in numbers is more likely due to the fact that Hopkins had a legit QB in Tajh Boyd throwing to him, while Allen had his sucky brother Zach Maynard as Cal's QB. Plus, Allen missed the final 3 games of the season with a knee injury. I like Hopkins, but he is more known for his route-running and hands, while Allen is a combination of size, speed, and quickness. I suspect that there may be some coaches who prefer what Hopkins brings to the table, but Allen probably has more scouts drooling.

  7. #37
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,299
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Love what I see he does with the ball after he catches it. Doesn't go down on first hit like Wallace. However, is it me or the video but does it seem to anyone lese that he catches the ball with his body a lot? Sort of like Wallace does.
    Nah... he has good hands (college hands)..

    his route running is questionable though...

  8. #38
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,059
    In the video he made a lot of catches with his body, the majority of them either shielding a defender or simply ensuring that he makes the catch because he was so wide open. When he needed to use his hands to make a catch he did. His vision of the field seems very good he found a lot extra yards avoiding defenders by running to open areas of the field and he looked very fluid in the open field at top speed making cuts. Punt returner and kick returner, he could have an immediate impact and upgrade Steeler special teams right away. I can't speak to his route running in that video he seemed wide open a lot, so that is either good route running or very poor defending. When he was covered (very few times) he battled for the ball. The other thing I liked was he flipped the ball to the ref and then only did some minor celebrating, that's a good sign, IMO.

    The Steelers would do well to get him in Black and Gold for next year to begin to fill the void left by Wallace.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  9. #39
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,442
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    In the video he made a lot of catches with his body, the majority of them either shielding a defender or simply ensuring that he makes the catch because he was so wide open. When he needed to use his hands to make a catch he did. His vision of the field seems very good he found a lot extra yards avoiding defenders by running to open areas of the field and he looked very fluid in the open field at top speed making cuts. Punt returner and kick returner, he could have an immediate impact and upgrade Steeler special teams right away. I can't speak to his route running in that video he seemed wide open a lot, so that is either good route running or very poor defending. When he was covered (very few times) he battled for the ball. The other thing I liked was he flipped the ball to the ref and then only did some minor celebrating, that's a good sign, IMO.

    The Steelers would do well to get him in Black and Gold for next year to begin to fill the void left by Wallace.

    Pappy
    Probably not so much bad defending as "defending scared" because they were afraid of the big play. He would thrive in practice against LeBeau's defense who play the same way.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Probably not so much bad defending as "defending scared" because they were afraid of the big play. He would thrive in practice against LeBeau's defense who play the same way.
    First in yards against the pass. Seventh in fewest passing TDs. First in average against. Sixth in completion percentage against.

    They need more interceptions, but your criticisms of the pass defense and the secondary seem to be lacking in basis.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •