Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34

Thread: Shawn's Mock filled with homerism

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Well yeah I get it, he does a lot for that defense but come on, as big and as dominate as he is physically do you not want to see more than 4 splash plays in the opponents backfield all year? Do you not think that from the year before he had a down year? And that more was expected out of him? Very pedestrian like numbers for him.
    Even Casey Hampton in his prime didn't produce a lot of splash plays for us...

    With guys like that, I just watch the tape...

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Well yeah I get it, he does a lot for that defense but come on, as big and as dominate as he is physically do you not want to see more than 4 splash plays in the opponents backfield all year? Do you not think that from the year before he had a down year? And that more was expected out of him? Very pedestrian like numbers for him.
    Yeah, I have been watching him since he was a freshman...I know what he does play to play...as I keep my eyes on him. He is a freak...dominates...gets push on two guys at a time...makes plays on the edge...drops back into coverage on some plays. Honestly I don't remember the Buckeyes ever having a guy this athletic at that size on the DL. His numbers dropped because he was getting keyed in on...more and more teams having to put two guys on him. Sometimes numbers don't tell the whole story.

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Even Casey Hampton in his prime didn't produce a lot of splash plays for us...

    With guys like that, I just watch the tape...
    Two different schemes. On a 3-4 you need the NT to be able to take on two blocks since there are only 3 down linemen. Ohio States runs 4-3 one-gap under or over. And with that you need the interior linemen to make plays. There were times when they would run a nickle over where Hankins was a 3-technique and occupied two blockers, however that isnt their base. And in their base he is shaded over a gap. Often times this past year he took plays off and never really created much of a pass rush. For Casey Hampton that's fine but not for Jonathan Hankins out of Ohio States 4-3.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

    1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Two different schemes. On a 3-4 you need the NT to be able to take on two blocks since there are only 3 down linemen. Ohio States runs 4-3 one-gap under or over. And with that you need the interior linemen to make plays. There were times when they would run a nickle over where Hankins was a 3-technique and occupied two blockers, however that isnt their base. And in their base he is shaded over a gap. Often times this past year he took plays off and never really created much of a pass rush. For Casey Hampton that's fine but not for Jonathan Hankins out of Ohio States 4-3.
    But, Ohio State doesn't run a simple one-gap 4-3...the best description of their D is a hybrid 4-3/3-4...the Buckeyes will often walk their weak side DE (Leo) off the line and slide their D Linemen into the traditional 3-4 techniques...they have done so for years...

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,049
    Did I not read the Ohio State defense was close to Dick Lebeau's? That is one reason Heyward was picked? Or was I dreaming?

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    Did I not read the Ohio State defense was close to Dick Lebeau's? That is one reason Heyward was picked? Or was I dreaming?
    Slap is correct. The Buckeyes play both 4-3 and 3-4.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Slap is correct. The Buckeyes play both 4-3 and 3-4.
    This is why guys like Mike Kudla, Doug Worthington, Thaddeus Gibson, Cameron Heyward and Brian Rolle have been brought in...a lot of what the Buckeye defenders are asked to do is similar to what Steeler defenders are asked to do...

  8. #18
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    I really like Joseph Randle at running back. I could see an OL, TE, RB, and/or WR combination in the first four rounds. I think the offense is going to get a lot of picks this year.

    I'm not saying it will be these positions exactly, but I think offense could be 3 out of the first 4 rounds in some form or fashion.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Slap is correct. The Buckeyes play both 4-3 and 3-4.
    I didn't argue that. But again their base defense is a 4-3 one gap over or under. What they do in sub-packages has nothing to do with anything (in regards to this discussion).

    And again neither the 4-3 or 3-4 Ohio State ran has anything to do with Jonathan Hankins down year. He had a down year...period. And you throwing around the dominate word really didnt translate to making plays.

    I think he is an All-World talent but I am concerned about him taking plays off and his mediocre performance this year.
    Last edited by Dee Dub; 02-07-2013 at 01:48 PM.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

    1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I didn't argue that. But again their base defense is a 4-3 one gap over or under. What they do in sub-packages has nothing to do with anything (in regards to this discussion).

    And again neither the 4-3 or 3-4 Ohio State ran has anything to do with Jonathan Jenkins down year. He had a down year...period. And you throwing around the dominate word really didnt translate to making plays.

    I think he is an All-World talent but I am concerned about him taking plays off and his mediocre performance this year.
    And because you say he had a down year by looking at a stat sheet means little to me. He was actually better this year, but I watched teams try to take him out of the game. And the only guys I see saying he took plays off are guys that are not Buckeye fans...guys who didn't watch him in but a few games.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •