Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shawn's Mock filled with homerism

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I like your draft Shawn esp. first 4 picks.

It would instantly upgrade the Steelers roster IMO.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I didn't argue that. But again their base defense is a 4-3 one gap over or under. What they do in sub-packages has nothing to do with anything (in regards to this discussion).
    And, again, you are missing the point...

It isn't a sub-package...the 4-3/3-4 hybrid IS the base defense...the entire point is to duplicate the effect of a sub-package without having to substitute any players...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Round 1- Johnathan Hankins-tOSU-NT 6 foot 3 320 pounds, Huge, strong, crazy quick feet, fast for a big guy. He commands double teams and has enough athletic ability to chase running backs sideline to sideline like a linebacker. He can even drop into coverage. This guy is just an athletic freak of nature and one of the best DT’s in tOSU history. He is a man amongst boys game changer and well worth pick 17.

Round 2- Joseph Randle-RB Okie State, 6 foot 200 pounds, I watched a lot of film on this years running backs. I don’t believe we can go another season without a playmaker in the backfield. After watching much lack luster film, I came across Joseph Randle and loved the way this guy ran the ball. I believe him to be the most complete back in the draft. While a bit lanky, he runs with authority, speed, vision and is a force in the passing game. He has break away ability and ability to run between the tackles. I am really excited about this guy.

Round 3- TJ McDonald-SS-USC, this safety was a first round talent last season and made the mistake of coming out in a year with a much stronger safety class. The safeties are deep this year and we should be able to get a quality starter in rounds 2-4. TJ is a complete safety, solid tackler, solid in coverage playing against the best talent in the nation.

Round 4- Da'Rick Rogers-WR-Tenn Tech-6 foot 3-Ben gets his big WR. Ok, I know what you are thinking, the guy is a trouble maker, “druggie” or whatever. I say this guy is a legit first round talent, who loves the game of football and plays with passion. If he get his head on straight he has the ability to be a force in the NFL. While he isn’t blazing fast, but he has very soft hands, knows how to use his frame, and runs hard for YAC. He reminds me a lot of Kenny Britt.

Round 5-Zach Boren-ILB-tOSU-Not sure I have been this excited about an inside linebacker in a long time. From a talent perspective I believe Boren should be a second rounder. He played full back his entire career until an injury gave him an opportunity to try out at ILB. He was an instant force in an unfamiliar position. The guy is a beast, able to take on OLmen, sort through trash with ease, has terrific vision and a nose for the ball. The guy is a playmaker and a traditional thumper…a perfect complement to Timmons.

Round 6-Robert Alford-DB SE Louisiana-5 foot 11 185 pounds of pure athleticism. Quick, nifty, ball hawk…instant help in the return game. I suspect he will run 4.3-4.4 at the combines.

Round 7- Jake Stoneburner-TE-tOSU-As an OSU homer you knew my first mock would be heavy on the Buckeyes. With that said, Stoneburner is one of my favorite players. While I don’t believe him to ever have been used to his ability…never quite shown what he is capable of doing…he has hands speed and height. His blocking is adequate. He could be an x-factor in the passing game…slim him down and he could play wideout. He is certainly worth a shot in round seven
    Hankins-on this surface, this appears to be a luxury pick as NTs don't play as much as they used to (in today's passing NFL), and we have some guys who can play the position. However, I like it as Hankins could be a Vince Wolfork type. He would collapse the pocket even in nickel situation.

Randle-I like this pick as well. Randle is a bit under-sized (6', 200 lbs) for an insider runner. But, he is VERY explosive and is a great pass receiver (he could even play WR). I do not think he is an every down back. But, he can get 15-20 touches and be very effective.

McDonald-This is the only pick that I don't like. I thought McDonald was abused at times in coverage this season. I don't think he will be a good "back half" NFL safety.

Rogers-In the fourth?! That would be a huge steal. I don't give a crap about the character concerns if we get this player here. This guy has 1st round talent. Mike who?

Boren-I love your description. I did not get to see enough of Boren in coverage to have an opinion on his overall game.

Alford-after the Senior Bowl, I think he is a 4th rounder at worst. But, I like the pick very much.

Stoneburner-he always looks awkward to me when I watch OSU. But, he is effective. I've noticed that one of his best assets is his ability to read a zone and settle into the seams and holes. He seems like a smart player.

Good job, Shawn!
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And because you say he had a down year by looking at a stat sheet means little to me. He was actually better this year, but I watched teams try to take him out of the game. And the only guys I see saying he took plays off are guys that are not Buckeye fans...guys who didn't watch him in but a few games.
    For me and the 17th overall pick, I need more splash plays than 4 all year. But that is just me. And I saw nearly every one of Ohio States games last year. Before this year I was all over Hankins. But I saw some things this year that concern me. One is he seemed fatigued and often took plays off. If you watch him he tends to wear down as the game goes on. At least mores so this past year than two years ago.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm going to ask some of you something that I do when I'm grading out someone at their position "versus" the draft board for a given year.

If Phil Taylor or Dan Williams was in this draft, where do you grade Hankins? That is part of my thinking process.

I'm a PSU homer. PSU doesn't have even "good" OL and I was not impressed with Hankins against them. He fits the Steelers 1st round mold of an underclassman but I think #17 is very high. JMO

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I'm going to ask some of you something that I do when I'm grading out someone at their position "versus" the draft board for a given year.

If Phil Taylor or Dan Williams was in this draft, where do you grade Hankins? That is part of my thinking process.

I'm a PSU homer. PSU doesn't have even "good" OL and I was not impressed with Hankins against them. He fits the Steelers 1st round mold of an underclassman but I think #17 is very high. JMO
    You can compare him to John Jenkins as well, very similar type players. Where do you have Jenkins?

I put Jenkins and Hankins behind Taylor and in front of Williams.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    For me and the 17th overall pick, I need more splash plays than 4 all year. But that is just me. And I saw nearly every one of Ohio States games last year. Before this year I was all over Hankins. But I saw some things this year that concern me. One is he seemed fatigued and often took plays off. If you watch him he tends to wear down as the game goes on. At least mores so this past year than two years ago.
    And I think that opinion is reasonable. The Steelers may agree with you. But for me, I think an anchor to a 3-4 D is well worth the 17. He won't make any highlight reels...nor will he be asked to make "splash plays". I do think there is some worth to the opinion of his stamina. With all of that said, he is a guy who can get push...disrupt lanes...and allow the linebackers to look all world. And for me, that is worth the price of admission.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And I think that opinion is reasonable. The Steelers may agree with you. But for me, I think an anchor to a 3-4 D is well worth the 17. He won't make any highlight reels...nor will he be asked to make "splash plays". I do think there is some worth to the opinion of his stamina. With all of that said, he is a guy who can get push...disrupt lanes...and allow the linebackers to look all world. And for me, that is worth the price of admission.
    I'm ok with a 3-4 NT at 17. Just want one who I feel is worthy of the pick. Before I had no concerns about Hankins. But after this past season I now have some. I dont think that at 17 with those questions that is what is best for the Steelers. If you are dominate, then I am going to expect to see some dominance. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if they traded back and got him, but at 17...I dont know if that is a good fit.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

I like Hankins, but #17 is even earlier than where the Steelers picked Casey...

Now, with the proliferation of 3-4 defenses, a team may have to pay a premium to draft a premium position like NT...

Legend

User Info Menu

Round 1- Johnathan Hankins-tOSU-NT 6 foot 3 320 pounds, Huge, strong, crazy quick feet, fast for a big guy. He commands double teams and has enough athletic ability to chase running backs sideline to sideline like a linebacker. He can even drop into coverage. This guy is just an athletic freak of nature and one of the best DT’s in tOSU history. He is a man amongst boys game changer and well worth pick 17.

Nice Shawn. McShay's latest mock also has Hankins to the Steelers at 17.