Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Outlook From Today Forward: Ben vs. Joe

Backup

User Info Menu

Comparing offenses to offenses, Ben Roethlisberger has had the worst supporting cast on offense of any top-tier QB in the NFL for the last five seasons. If you disagree with this statement, then you are wrong.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Joe Flacco and it ain't even close for me. Flacco has a much better arm, better brain, better leader and unquestionably the MVP along with Ray Lewis during their superbowl run. It obvious that Flacco has worked hard to become the quarterback that he is. Ben, to the contraire.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Comparing offenses to offenses, Ben Roethlisberger has had the worst supporting cast on offense of any top-tier QB in the NFL for the last five seasons. If you disagree with this statement, then you are wrong.
    nice try... 2 years ago we had the "most deadly WR corps in the league" a few drops and brain farts and all of a sudden they are the worst. Our OL hasn't been great but I think part of it is Ben and Mendenhall making them look bad.

2008 Ben can't get the offense moving... we can't score TD's. He gets "re-injured" in the Redskins game and Lefty comes in and marches the same offense down the field with ease. He takes what the D gives and respects the rush. After the game we find out Ben hasn't been practicing with the first team for the last few weeks because he was injured. After Tomlin says the QB who practices will start Ben starts practicing and the offense looks much better.

2011... Mendenhall can't find any holes because the OL can't block. However, when Redman and Dwyer get in games the OL looks magically delicious and holes open up as these slower, straight forward RB's gain 4 to 5 yards a pop. Once Mendenhall returns the OL goes back to boo boo the fool mode.

What's crazy is anytime we get on a role or start tearing it up on offense we have the best of this that and a third.. but when we lose all of a sudden all of our players STINK.

Neither is true IMO and I think we have much better talent at WR, RB (not TE) than the Pats... Our WR's can match up with just about any WR core in the league when utilized correctly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    Joe Flacco and it ain't even close for me. Flacco has a much better arm, better brain, better leader and unquestionably the MVP along with Ray Lewis during their superbowl run. It obvious that Flacco has worked hard to become the quarterback that he is. Ben, to the contraire.
    True.. but one has to wonder how hard Flacco, Rogers, Ryan, etc would have worked if they won their first 13 starts and had 2 SB rings in the first 4 years of their career.

I can't blame Ben THAT much for being a little lazy or thinking he could just show up and win because he had the best rookie season I've ever seen from a QB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    True.. but one has to wonder how hard Flacco, Rogers, Ryan, etc would have worked if they won their first 13 starts and had 2 SB rings in the first 4 years of their career.

I can't blame Ben THAT much for being a little lazy or thinking he could just show up and win because he had the best rookie season I've ever seen from a QB.
    You are correct, Dizz. I do attribute much of Ben's apathy and lethargy to having so much success early on in his career.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No one has mentioned the complacency, the hubris, that tends to creep in when one achieves success. Ben got it (a big head) when he "made it", and he lost his share of Chiclets on the windshield of a car because of it. Once anyone "makes it", he has to fight the sense of complacency that will come from it. It's an example of why (e.g.) giving public school teachers a guaranteed job (tenure) is not a good thing.

At this point in Ben's career, he's got something now to prove. He blew a couple games at the end that either: a) are a harbinger of where he is at as a player, or b) will light a fire under a guy who still has the ability. IMO, it's b. I think Flacco is a solid player though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

As I said in another thread, Ben needs to buy into Haleys system 100% in all aspects and lead by example. Stop being a crybaby over Arians cause he isn't coming back and put the work in. Quit throwing the little barbs out in the media about the system and go to work.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm hoping Ben can win a couple more Super Bowls...I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    As I said in another thread, Ben needs to buy into Haleys system 100% in all aspects and lead by example. Stop being a crybaby over Arians cause he isn't coming back and put the work in. Quit throwing the little barbs out in the media about the system and go to work.
    I agree. All the revisionist fans look back and complain, based on late-season failures. What they ignore is how efficient the O was before Ben got hurt. We didn't have to suffer through 8 sack games (because Ben had to hold the ball so long)... Ben got the ball out faster, and while not as flashy, the O was steadier.

Another thing Steeler fans totally seem to ignore is how... for this decade, all I hear is how we need to get Heath Miller the ball more. In Haley's offense, Heath was way more productive than previous years. Yet they don't appreciate that fact--that's what they've been asking for all these years!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben getting injured, missing games, and playing injured, the past two seasons is the biggest reason we lost to Tebow and this year didn't even make the playoffs.
    @_Hellgrammite