Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Better Outlook From Today Forward: Ben vs. Joe

Rookie

User Info Menu

Better Outlook From Today Forward: Ben vs. Joe

Who will be more successful with their team moving forward from today? Although it pains me to say it, I think Joe Flacco, for several reasons:

1) Has played every game in his 5 year career - bodes well for the immediate future
    2) Plays behind a much better offensive line - will help with #1
    3) Benefits from a D that is highly skilled at taking the ball away - increased offensive opportunities
    4) Plays with a stud RB - despite his playoff fumbling problems, Ray Rice is better than anyone we have, by far
    5) His special teams units are always a threat to score. 'Nuff said about that one. We have no one dynamic on special teams, especially not Antonio "Field the punt at the 9 yard line" Brown
    6) Has a better coach - I know Tomlin's been to two SBs, but it's feast or famine with him. He lacks consistency. I believe Harbaugh, while unlikeable, is a much tougher coach and a better in-game decision maker.
    7) Plays with young, athletic corners who help get the D off the field on third down

Lastly, he benefits from a D that can pressure the QB

Those are the immediate reasons that come to mind. If I had to pick Ben or Joe from this day forward, I'd have to go with Joe.

What do you think?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mostly depends on the players around them....OL, WR, TE, RB....looking at this years teams, the Ravens had more....next year could be a different story.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB13 View Post
    Who will be more successful with their team moving forward from today? Although it pains me to say it, I think Joe Flacco, for several reasons:

1) Has played every game in his 5 year career - bodes well for the immediate future
    3) Benefits from a D that is highly skilled at taking the ball away - increased offensive opportunities
    4) Plays with a stud RB - despite his playoff fumbling problems, Ray Rice is better than anyone we have, by far
    5) His special teams units are always a threat to score. 'Nuff said about that one. We have no one dynamic on special teams, especially not Antonio "Field the punt at the 9 yard line" Brown
    6) Has a better coach - I know Tomlin's been to two SBs, but it's feast or famine with him. He lacks consistency. I believe Harbaugh, while unlikeable, is a much tougher coach and a better in-game decision maker.
    7) Plays with young, athletic corners who help get the D off the field on third down

Those are the immediate reasons that come to mind. If I had to pick Ben or Joe from this day forward, I'd have to go with Joe.

What do you think?
    Today forward? I would go with Joe. He's proven he is clutch. He's a bigger version of Eli Manning and he never misses games. Plus he's never had character questions.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Today forward? I would go with Joe. He's proven he is clutch. He's a bigger version of Eli Manning and he never misses games. Plus he's never had character questions.
    He never misses games because the O-line up front helps in that matter....Warmack could help Ben.

As of now Flacco has the upper hand, but Ben is still the better overall QB.

Give Ben a o-line, and a feature back like Baltimore enjoys and you will see Ben dominate at his position, he never had that dominate O-line, never.....draft Warmack!

The Steelers will never see another Super Bowl averaging 21 points a game fix the O-line damn it!
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-04-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    He never misses games because the O-line up front helps in that matter....
    Our QB perfromance is result of the number of games our O-Line misses...

Legend

User Info Menu

Flacco has the ability to heave the ball up - and he does have a strong arm - and his big, strong receivers fight for it and come down with it. He could easily have had three or four picks throughout the playoffs and he is a playoff choker. He heaves one up to Jones yesterday that is underthrown but he is standing all alone and can come back for it and fall down. DB blew the coverage so a should've been incompletion is a 56 yard TD.

I posted recently that this is the new wave. Receivers are given so much leeway against DBs, and the D is penalized heavily for every misstep. Get a strong WR with good body control and just let him play jump ball. More on the WR than the QB.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JB13 View Post

What do you think?
    I thought the question was Ben or Joe? Not the oline, defense, running back, special teams and coach?

I take Ben STILL, hands down. Flacco still folds under pressure. The things you list, if Ben had better protection, a stud running back, receivers that can take the ball from the defender? No brainer. Ben.

Legend

User Info Menu

All these excuses for Flacco's success aren't going to help us win the division. So he has big WR's and takes advantage of it. Wow... how unfair is that? He could of had a few picks. Wow... how many did he have in the playoffs? Oh, that's right.. ZERO!!!

Stop making excuses for his success and realize this kid is legit. We were wrong. Well, I thought he would be a problem but even I didn't think he would be this good. I hope our FO respects Flacco more than the fans because all this lying isn't working.

Legend

User Info Menu

Give Flacco credit, he played well (sometimes great) in the playoffs and SB. But he was mediocre for most of the season. It's not as if the Ravens were unstoppable this year. Heck, mid way though, there were real questions about JF being able to get them to the next level. They don't get a few bounces and they are 8-8 this year, maybe 7-9. Having a bruising, bully defense, and big, physical receivers you can just chuck it up to and they go get it, helps out a ton as well.

I'd agree with Feltdizz that the Steelers need to respect the situation (he can play well and he has a good team around him, especially WR's that take advantage of today's rules) and have to find a way t o beat them, but I still wouldn't call him elite. Good and got hot, but I'd still take at least 6 guys over him and possibly a couple of more after we see what he and they do next season. Could change.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The biggest reason why you are right, with JF being the better QB, moving forward, aren't all the factors mentioned, but, instead are JF and BB themselves. Bonehead Ben doesn't get hurt only due to a spotty OL, but due to BB himself. JF had defenders all around him last night, but he doesn't try to play "gun slinger" as BB is fond of saying about himself. He avoided contact, moved around and got rid of the ball. BB would take excessive amount of time to get someone wide open in a backyard football mode. JF isn't a moron. He is measured, cerebral, thoughtful and grounded. Do you think JF would ever find himself skipping out on huge bar bills and trying to score hummers in public bathrooms? BB is a knucklehead. And while bragging about being a "gunslinger" he hasn't been clutch in years. JF now is. And the post season proved it. BB may already be used up, and he has squandered much of his career by being a moron. The team does not even respect him. His sideline speeches are phony.