Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 56

Thread: In the SB history are there any other QB to....

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,925
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Which Steeler receiver makes the three sideline catches Boldin makes? I don't think any, Boldin has been a security blanket for a quarterback that played great football during the playoffs, combine that with Boldin just completely dominating defensive backs during the playoffs and you have a good combination. Joe could make risky throws and the deep one down the sideline while on the run was extremely risky, but he knew Boldin would at least make sure it isn't intercepted.

    The Steelers don't have a WR that is remotely capable of making a play like that, let alone 2 or three per game. I won't be too sad to see Wallace go and hopefully, 1.17 or 2.48 brings a physical receiver or a TE that can get down field like Vernon Davis to the Steelers to compliment Brown. The Steeler receivers need Ben to be perfect with his throws to be successful; he won't always be perfect as we know.

    Pappy
    This is a great point. The Steelers really need a WR who can fight for a ball and win the battle consistently, even if they are not open.

  2. #22
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This is a great point. The Steelers really need a WR who can fight for a ball and win the battle consistently, even if they are not open.
    Or a pass catching TE. I would sign Plaxico, then draft a TE early. Once Heath comes back you can pick and choose out of the 3 big bodied players.
    @_Hellgrammite

  3. #23
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,339
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    This is a great point. The Steelers really need a WR who can fight for a ball and win the battle consistently, even if they are not open.
    yep... but until we do, how about putting the WR's we have in a better position to use their speed?

  4. #24
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    yep... but until we do, how about putting the WR's we have in a better position to use their speed?
    Depends how you want to look at it....some would argue Haley's offense wasn't good for speed receivers but I think it is....they can use their speed the same...beat defenders in a footrace....only difference being they have the ball in their hands 5 or 10 yds from the LOS instead of 30 yds downfield. Sanders/Brown have the type of speed that if they make one DB miss on the tackle they are off to the races.

    I'll take a high percentage attack where they get the ball in their hands more often, then one where your offense sucks unless you can connect on a 30 yard bomb.
    @_Hellgrammite

  5. #25
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Depends how you want to look at it....some would argue Haley's offense wasn't good for speed receivers but I think it is....they can use their speed the same...beat defenders in a footrace....only difference being they have the ball in their hands 5 or 10 yds from the LOS instead of 30 yds downfield. Sanders/Brown have the type of speed that if they make one DB miss on the tackle they are off to the races.

    I'll take a high percentage attack where they get the ball in their hands more often, then one where your offense sucks unless you can connect on a 30 yard bomb.
    not me.. I think they are more dangerous when they are behind the DB's when catching the ball in the 15 to 20 yard range. Too many drops, fumbles and short arms... These guys are small and easily injured...

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    the toes...
    The perfectly-thrown pass that enabled the toes...


    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Holmes deserved that. Only reason we were on the 5 for Ben to throw the pass that Holmes amazingly caught on his tip-toes, was due to Holmes catching a 10 yd pass and sprinting down the sideline for a huge gain to put us at the 5.
    And the only reason Holmes sprinted down the sideline was because Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie bit on Roethlisberger's pump fake to Mewelde Moore in the right flat, leaving a gaping hole in the secondary for Holmes to run through. Face it; Holmes' two big plays on that drive were set up by Roethlisberger.

    By the way, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien are Super Bowl MVPs, and Brett Favre is not. I guess Favre sucks, huh? Oh, and if Peyton Manning deserves the MVP award with a 65% completion rate, 6.8 YPA, one TD pass, two turnovers and an 81.8 rating in Super Bowl XLI despite Dominic Rhodes having over five YPC and a TD run, then Roethlisberger sure as **** deserved it with a 70% completion rate, 8.5 YPA, one TD pass, one turnover and a 93.2 rating despite all 58 yards and both YPC provided by the running game in Super Bowl XLIII.

    Maybe the award is overrated anyway, considering fans get to vote like they do for the Pro Bowl.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 02-04-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

  7. #27
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    the whole "we don't get there without him" doesn't make sense to me... you can say that about every QB in the SB who won the MVP.

    Ben is a great QB but IMO he has to have an MVP performance in the SB to get the award. The run up to it in 2005 or his rookie season doesn't serve any purpose when talking about the SB MVP.

    It's not that serious IMO...

    I was responding to Steel10 question,



    Win two and no MVP award? Even Flacco can win one, do we Steeler fans have Ben overrated.






    Originally Posted by supersteeler
    No, I don't think Steelers fans overrate Ben, what they will do is call him out when he's playing poorly. In the Seattle SB Ben didn't play well, but he played well against the Cards and decent against GB. The thing is without him we don't even get to the SB, its what he did to get us there.

    Ben isn't the best QB out there, but no one can question is toughness. He won 15 games as a rookie, the youngest QB to win a SB, but more than the numbers he's the toughest QB to play the game.
    Overrated? Nah, he just wants to win SB's. Since He's been our QB only three QB's have won multiple SB's, Brady, Eli Manning, an Ben. He helped the Steelers GET to three SB'S so again he isn't overrated in our eyes, we call it like it is....Ben's a champion!

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Holmes deserved that. Only reason we were on the 5 for Ben to throw the pass that Holmes amazingly caught on his tip-toes, was due to Holmes catching a 10 yd pass and sprinting down the sideline for a huge gain to put us at the 5.

    The only playoff game I can recall where Ben was lights out was the one we played at Denver where he was untouchable.

    Flacco's receivers made him look terrific last night though. Boldin was a beast. Flacco underthrew Jones on the one TD only for Jones to smartly get up after the DB stupidly jumped over him and ran by him.. He had a lucky bomb down the sideline that he lofted after facing pressure and Boldin went up and took it away from a defensive back when he was behind the defensive back and had to catch it over the DB's head. Boldin had the nice leaping TD catch. I don't see our WR crew making a few of those big catches.

    ben's pump fake brought francisco up on the play then he slipped as he tried getting back in position when holmes caught the pass

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I was responding to Steel10 question,



    Win two and no MVP award? Even Flacco can win one, do we Steeler fans have Ben overrated.


    Again, Bradshaw wasn't awarded a SB MVP until his 3rd victory...

  10. #30
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Again, Bradshaw wasn't awarded a SB MVP until his 3rd victory...
    Again, Ben is not overrated. I'm well aware of Bradshaw and his MVP award, what I'm trying to convey is Ben is a winner.
    Maybe not in the numbers or awards but he got us to three SB's so no he's not overrated.


    Let me put it this way, give Ben an O-line and a back that can run to balance this offense and Ben could get his awards, but he's not worried about his stats he wants championships!!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •