Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 56

Thread: In the SB history are there any other QB to....

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler Steelhere10's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    man from Sudan
    Posts
    1,757
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    the whole "we don't get there without him" doesn't make sense to me... you can say that about every QB in the SB who won the MVP.

    Ben is a great QB but IMO he has to have an MVP performance in the SB to get the award. The run up to it in 2005 or his rookie season doesn't serve any purpose when talking about the SB MVP.

    It's not that serious IMO...
    But does it matter when it comes to the Hall of Fame, Or is he even worthy?

  2. #12
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    As has been stated, Ben could/should have won it in the Cards SB. I still don't understand how a receiver wins the MVP if he doesn't have a qb throwing him MVP-worthy passes.
    Holmes deserved that. Only reason we were on the 5 for Ben to throw the pass that Holmes amazingly caught on his tip-toes, was due to Holmes catching a 10 yd pass and sprinting down the sideline for a huge gain to put us at the 5.

    The only playoff game I can recall where Ben was lights out was the one we played at Denver where he was untouchable.

    Flacco's receivers made him look terrific last night though. Boldin was a beast. Flacco underthrew Jones on the one TD only for Jones to smartly get up after the DB stupidly jumped over him and ran by him.. He had a lucky bomb down the sideline that he lofted after facing pressure and Boldin went up and took it away from a defensive back when he was behind the defensive back and had to catch it over the DB's head. Boldin had the nice leaping TD catch. I don't see our WR crew making a few of those big catches.
    @_Hellgrammite

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    the whole "we don't get there without him" doesn't make sense to me... you can say that about every QB in the SB who won the MVP.

    Ben is a great QB but IMO he has to have an MVP performance in the SB to get the award. The run up to it in 2005 or his rookie season doesn't serve any purpose when talking about the SB MVP.

    It's not that serious IMO...
    I agree. Ben played amazing football during that playoff run in 2005 but should not have been the SB MVP. There is a better argument for the AZ Super Bowl since he had to put 2 passes in the end zone for Holmes on that last drive, but that could have gone either way.

  4. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    But does it matter when it comes to the Hall of Fame, Or is he even worthy?
    I think he is worthy of HOF

    I'm talking strictly about SB MVP

  5. #15
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Holmes deserved that. Only reason we were on the 5 for Ben to throw the pass that Holmes amazingly caught on his tip-toes, was due to Holmes catching a 10 yd pass and sprinting down the sideline for a huge gain to put us at the 5.

    The only playoff game I can recall where Ben was lights out was the one we played at Denver where he was untouchable.

    Flacco's receivers made him look terrific last night though. Boldin was a beast. Flacco underthrew Jones on the one TD only for Jones to smartly get up after the DB stupidly jumped over him and ran by him.. He had a lucky bomb down the sideline that he lofted after facing pressure and Boldin went up and took it away from a defensive back when he was behind the defensive back and had to catch it over the DB's head. Boldin had the nice leaping TD catch. I don't see our WR crew making a few of those big catches.
    nah.... I think it goes both ways. Flacco knows he has WR's who can go up and get it so he can throw those types of passes... some QB's are too scared to throw those passes for fear of an INT.

  6. #16
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,059
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nah.... I think it goes both ways. Flacco knows he has WR's who can go up and get it so he can throw those types of passes... some QB's are too scared to throw those passes for fear of an INT.
    Which Steeler receiver makes the three sideline catches Boldin makes? I don't think any, Boldin has been a security blanket for a quarterback that played great football during the playoffs, combine that with Boldin just completely dominating defensive backs during the playoffs and you have a good combination. Joe could make risky throws and the deep one down the sideline while on the run was extremely risky, but he knew Boldin would at least make sure it isn't intercepted.

    The Steelers don't have a WR that is remotely capable of making a play like that, let alone 2 or three per game. I won't be too sad to see Wallace go and hopefully, 1.17 or 2.48 brings a physical receiver or a TE that can get down field like Vernon Davis to the Steelers to compliment Brown. The Steeler receivers need Ben to be perfect with his throws to be successful; he won't always be perfect as we know.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    exactly pap...how many times did we see wallace stand there and watch the DB intercept a pass?
    @_Hellgrammite

  8. #18
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,340
    Flacco is taking advantage of the weapons he has at WR. Its pretty simple IMO.

  9. #19
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Which Steeler receiver makes the three sideline catches Boldin makes? I don't think any, Boldin has been a security blanket for a quarterback that played great football during the playoffs, combine that with Boldin just completely dominating defensive backs during the playoffs and you have a good combination. Joe could make risky throws and the deep one down the sideline while on the run was extremely risky, but he knew Boldin would at least make sure it isn't intercepted.

    The Steelers don't have a WR that is remotely capable of making a play like that, let alone 2 or three per game. I won't be too sad to see Wallace go and hopefully, 1.17 or 2.48 brings a physical receiver or a TE that can get down field like Vernon Davis to the Steelers to compliment Brown. The Steeler receivers need Ben to be perfect with his throws to be successful; he won't always be perfect as we know.

    Pappy
    IMHO, Ben still plays like Kaepernick. Waits til a guy is wide open and then guns it. I don't see Ben attempting Flacco's throws even with Boldin or Fitz or AJ or whomever.

  10. #20
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Ben doesn't have Kaepernick's speed anymore. Not close to it. And I am unsure if he has the arm to put the zip on the throws anymore due to the partially torn rotator cuff or whatever it was he came into the season with. No idea why he wouldn't of had that repaired early in the offseason and rehabbed it hard when his career is about throwing a football.
    @_Hellgrammite

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •