Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: In the SB history are there any other QB to....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    The perfectly-thrown pass that enabled the toes...

And the only reason Holmes sprinted down the sideline was because Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie bit on Roethlisberger's pump fake to Mewelde Moore in the right flat, leaving a gaping hole in the secondary for Holmes to run through. Face it; Holmes' two big plays on that drive were set up by Roethlisberger.

By the way, Jim Plunkett, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien are Super Bowl MVPs, and Brett Favre is not. I guess Favre sucks, huh? Oh, and if Peyton Manning deserves the MVP award with a 65% completion rate, 6.8 YPA, one TD pass, two turnovers and an 81.8 rating in Super Bowl XLI despite Dominic Rhodes having over five YPC and a TD run, then Roethlisberger sure as **** deserved it with a 70% completion rate, 8.5 YPA, one TD pass, one turnover and a 93.2 rating despite all 58 yards and both YPC provided by the running game in Super Bowl XLIII.

Maybe the award is overrated anyway, considering fans get to vote like they do for the Pro Bowl.
    I did not say Ben sucked or any other QB sucks for not being named SB MVP.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Yeah... i wondered where that came from.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't think Flacco should have got the MVP. I think Jacoby Jones was the MVP for the Ravens. A case could be made for Boldin also. In some super bowls there is a very clear winner and others it could go to a few different guys. Is it really that big of an award if there is not a clear cut stand out player?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SS Laser View Post
    I don't think Flacco should have got the MVP. I think Jacoby Jones was the MVP for the Ravens. A case could be made for Boldin also. In some super bowls there is a very clear winner and others it could go to a few different guys. Is it really that big of an award if there is not a clear cut stand out player?
    Anytime a QB throws 3 TDs and over 200 yards in one half he will win MVP

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    ben's pump fake brought francisco up on the play then he slipped as he tried getting back in position when holmes caught the pass
    My mistake; I thought it was Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Either way, Roethlisberger is the reason the hole that Santonio Holmes ran through existed. Had the ball just been thrown to Holmes with no pump fake to Mewelde Moore, then Holmes would have only had a 10-yard catch since the defenders would have stayed in place.

Anybody who claims, or even implies, that Holmes "did all the work" on that drive either lacks knowledge or memory of how the plays transpired, or has an agenda against Roethlisberger. Steve Young even gave Roethlisberger credit for the big catch and run, and was the person who pointed out how the pump fake manipulated the defense in the first place.

Well I'm making a case as for why Roethlisberger should have been the Super Bowl XLIII MVP anyway, because he put Santonio Holmes in a position to succeed.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 02-05-2013 at 05:58 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    IMHO, Ben still plays like Kaepernick. Waits til a guy is wide open and then guns it. I don't see Ben attempting Flacco's throws even with Boldin or Fitz or AJ or whomever.
    I disagree with the opinion that Ben waits for a receiver to be open to throw the ball and I know that seems to be the general consensus from those that sit in their family rooms and watch football games. You don't complete 63% of your passes in the NFL waiting for a receiver to be open and then throwing the football, you'll also more than likely have a much interception rate than Ben has. What looks like Ben waiting for a receiver to be open is him getting through the reads and not finding an available option and then he starts to improvise the play and it looks like he's waiting and at that time he probably is looking for an open receiver. You have about 3 to 3.5 seconds to determine if any of your primary targets are going to be open after that you're looking for any available body.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    My mistake; I thought it was Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie. Either way, Roethlisberger is the reason the hole that Santonio Holmes ran through existed. Had the ball just been thrown to Holmes with no pump fake to Mewelde Moore, then Holmes would have only had a 10-yard catch since the defenders would have stayed in place.

Anybody who claims, or even implies, that Holmes "did all the work" on that drive either lacks knowledge or memory of how the plays transpired, or has an agenda against Roethlisberger. Steve Young even gave Roethlisberger credit for the big catch and run, and was the person who pointed out how the pump fake manipulated the defense in the first place.

Well I'm making a case as for why Roethlisberger should have been the Super Bowl XLIII MVP anyway, because he put Santonio Holmes in a position to succeed.
    Ben's pump fake was due to a big Arizona DL hand up in his face and was a decent amount of time before any DB bit and fell. The DB was closing on Holmes after Holmes found a void and sat down in it, then after the catch spun out in a big C and cut it up field causing the slip. He very well may of had a huge gain even if the DB doesn't fall down.

On the drive Holmes had two other huge first down catches on 3rd down. And then caps the drive off with the best catch in Superbowl history. I'm not saying Ben didn't have a great performance on the drive, but what Holmes did makes him the MVP of the game. Go educate yourself and rewatch the drive.
    @_Hellgrammite

Backup

User Info Menu

Ben's pump fake was due to a big Arizona DL hand up in his face...
    Where?

The image above is the precise moment of the pump fake. You can see the ball and Roethlisberger's arm at the PIT 46-yard line, and absolutely nobody between him and Mewelde Moore. Furthermore, I don't see any defenders particularly close to Roethlisberger, let alone any hands up. Quit lying to me.

Go educate yourself and rewatch the drive.
    Where do you think I got the still image from?

By the way, the ball was caught at the ARZ 35-yard line, which means that the pass was intermediate, and not some dump-off near the line of scrimmage in which all the yardage was after the catch.
    Last edited by DBR96A; 02-05-2013 at 11:58 AM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben uses his pump fake to get DB's to hesitate... so yeah, the hesitation could cause a DB to run harder to close on the WR (who was running back towards the QB) but c'mon... his pump fake doesn't make DB's slip or miss tackles once the WR catches the ball. If Ben has a pump fake that can make guys fall over and miss tackles we would have 9 rings by now.

The pump fake makes it easier to complete passes... but it doesn't knock guys over or send shock waves on the field.

Legend

User Info Menu

17 second mark...

When Holmes is about to catch the ball at the 35 the DB is at the 30... he isn't falling over due to the pump fake, he fell over because Holmes broke outside. Ben was great on the last drive but he doesn't have the power to make a guy fall like you claim.