Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AP Coach of Year..

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    How can you say that when he took Indy to the play offs under the circumstances. He was still the guy controlling the offense and doubling as HC. Perhaps he was successful because he wasn't encumbered by antiquated perceptions and influence from team ownership on what "Colts football" should be?
    Or, perhaps he had a QB who was able to take the pounding that his offense requires and not be injured for any length of time...

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben seems to have always been right and the fans seem to have always been wrong about BA.
    Gotta blame someone for the way Ben plays

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Not a great OC, but did a great job this year as substitute HC....

He deserves it...
    Yup, good for him. I did not care for him as the Steelers OC, but he did an amazing job this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben seems to have always been right and the fans seem to have always been wrong about BA.
    I believe that Luck was the most hit QB in the league this year. When you are trying to preserve an investment like the Steelers are with Ben, that is not what you're looking for.

Perhaps BA had to leave because he was too stubborn and refused to adapt and call shorter pass routes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not to dismiss what BA did, but it helped that the Colts played one of the weakest schedules in the league. Against winning teams, they were less than 0.500. If that had happened to the Steelers under him, people (including me) would be calling for his head. BTW, was BA also OC for the Colts, or does someone else get the credit for the O?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Not to dismiss what BA did, but it helped that the Colts played one of the weakest schedules in the league. Against winning teams, they were less than 0.500. If that had happened to the Steelers under him, people (including me) would be calling for his head. BTW, was BA also OC for the Colts, or does someone else get the credit for the O?
    People called for his head regardless... the Colts werent supposed to make the playoffs. He did an amazing job.

At least they beat the teams they were supposed to beat.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-03-2013 at 12:01 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

People will call for the OC's head unless you win the bowl...and even then some will.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I know it's not politically correct to mention this, but the illness of the head coach actually made it easier for BA to win. With the players so motivated from the illness, he had a group that was ready to run through any brick wall. I find it likely that BA being head coach without such a scenario will make it more difficult to succeed. We will find out next year. Not saying I have a problem with him getting coach of the year, but I wouldn't have a problem with Jim Harbaugh or Pete Carrol winning it as well. One coach who was less deserving than any other to win it? Mike Tomlin.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

B.A. deserved to win that award period. The Colts won two games the prior year, then made the playoffs this year with an average defense.
    Andrew Luck had something to do with that too, he's going to be a great one if they get him some O-line help.

Legend

User Info Menu

Surprised no one's asked, what would have happened to the Steelers if we got rid of Tomlin and made BA head coach?