Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difference makers we could draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Difference makers we could draft

I know some of you hate Bleacher Report, but they offer some interesting choices
    for Pgh's draft.

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1502600-steelers-mock-draft-instant-contributors-pittsburgh-can-find-in-every-round/page/2[/url]

Dion Jordan has freak athletic ability. But guess what? We have to go through the freaking transformation of having to switch his positions AND he needs surgery that he will have after the combine. So, he is somewhat of a risk, but at 6-6, 250, he has freakish long arms and speed for his size. He has a huge upside. I guess I'd be willing to take the risk.

In the 2nd round, if could get Phillip Thomas, I'd be all over that too. The guy is a ball hawk and would be a much needed boost in our backfield.

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1502600-steelers-mock-draft-instant-contributors-pittsburgh-can-find-in-every-round/page/3[/url]

If we could pick up Joe Randle in the 3rd, I'd take him. He is a bit on the small side, but that doesn't mean he can't ball. He has great instincts and a nice burst. Anything to improve our crap 3.7 aypc would help. I think this kid could start immediately.

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1502600-steelers-mock-draft-instant-contributors-pittsburgh-can-find-in-every-round/page/4[/url]

They have us going with QB Matt Scott, AZ, but in all honesty, we have too many needs to take a QB in the 4th. I definitely want a young QB on the roster, but in the 4th round, I'd rather see them go WR (assuming they go OLB, S and RB in the first 3 rounds). Da'Rick Rogers could be ideal. 6-3, 210, who can fly. Not afraid of contact, fights for the ball. He would give us that big, fast target who can jack Ds up. Has character and hippie lettuce concerns, but I say roll the dice.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How is a 4th round backup QB a difference maker?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    How is a 4th round backup QB a difference maker?
    I agree which is why I said I would go WR that round. But the argument could be made that
    since it is pretty much a GIVEN that Ben will miss time, that a legit back up QB could make
    a difference. But I still say pick up a later round QB or an undrafted free agent. But if we got
    a stud OLB, S and RB, I would take it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Would any defensive player be allowed to be a difference maker in 2013? Highly unlikely given that even Troy was not allowed to do too much as a rookie.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Would any defensive player be allowed to be a difference maker in 2013? Highly unlikely given that even Troy was not allowed to do too much as a rookie.
    They may not have a choice.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

History says no. Reality may say yes. I hope so. Way too sick of the Steelers taking too long to get players on the field. This isn't 1980 any more. Do you hear me Dick and Tomlin?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It's tough for a rookie to get a starting position when you have great players in front of him, but this year a rookie may have a shot depending on the position.
    Running back is one that comes to mind, our backs are average so a good prospect could get the job if he performs in practice, remember Maurkice Pouncey won a starting position as he beat out the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    It's tough for a rookie to get a starting position when you have great players in front of him, but this year a rookie may have a shot depending on the position.
    Running back is one that comes to mind, our backs are average so a good prospect could get the job if he performs in practice, remember Maurkice Pouncey won a starting position as he beat out the competition.
    This is definitely a season where rookies might make the field. If either Harrison, Hampton, etc. might not be back, a rookie definitely could see playing time, and at RB, for sure. There are several backs who can be nabbed in the 3rd or 4th who could be better than anything we have left.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think only one that would be there at pick 17. Kevin Minter. But the problem is you could get Kevin Minter between picks 25-32 this year. Dion Jordan wont see much of the field in 2013. I also think Desmond Trufant has a chance to come right in an start...maybe. Regardless of Scheme. But he too should be taken no sooner than the 25th pick.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I think only one that would be there at pick 17. Kevin Minter. But the problem is you could get Kevin Minter between picks 25-32 this year. Dion Jordan wont see much of the field in 2013. I also think Desmond Trufant has a chance to come right in an start...maybe. Regardless of Scheme. But he too should be taken no sooner than the 25th pick.
    I mostly agree with you about Minter. Would be good to trade back 6 or 7 spots and drafting him. He is a true leader on the field and would be Potsie 2.0. Would have the chance to start game 1.

Dion Jordan is athletic, but I am beginning to think he is not a fit in the 3-4. He finished the season at 220lbs. He is excellent in coverage and he can rush the passer. He has a lot of potential, but the may be better in the 4-3 at SLB.

Trufant is too old at 24 to take in the first. When is the last time the Steelers drafted someone that old in the first?

I would replace Trufant with Xavier Rhodes in the first. He could play safety or corner and we know how Tomlin loves FSU.
    Here comes the BOOM!