Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Difference makers we could draft

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that if Spence doesn't get hurt last year then he would have had an opportunity to make a difference. I could see a first rounder able to make an impact this season at NT, RILB, RCB (assuming that Lewis leaves), and maybe LDE. For many years we had the lethal combination of grade A starters at almost every position - A. Smith, Casey, Troy, Ike, Harrison, Farrior etc. with several solid system players - Foote, Clark etc., and a unique system that no college or pro teams were running. That made it difficult for a rook to crack the starting lineup. Now we have a weaker unit as a whole, combined with positions becoming available, and a system that is not as unique as it once was.

    A first rounder will have a chance to start at any position other than OLB or SS.
    A lot of colleges now run 3-4s. I am so sick of this coaching staff being so gad damn arrogant about their OLBs and their system. THIS JUST IN: It ain't that special or fantastic. A talented rookie could play OLB season 1. It's brain surgery, no matter how hard you try to pretend that it is. If you have a rookie who can rush the QB, but him in there and let him do that. They make this more complicated than it needs to be, without getting any benefit out of doing so. They act like Dick and his system should be worshiped like they are holy or something. Madness and stupidity.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    A lot of colleges now run 3-4s. I am so sick of this coaching staff being so gad damn arrogant about their OLBs and their system. THIS JUST IN: It ain't that special or fantastic. A talented rookie could play OLB season 1. It's brain surgery, no matter how hard you try to pretend that it is. If you have a rookie who can rush the QB, but him in there and let him do that. They make this more complicated than it needs to be, without getting any benefit out of doing so. They act like Dick and his system should be worshiped like they are holy or something. Madness and stupidity.
    Or, perhaps, they know what they are doing and want to put their young players in a position to succeed instead of fail...

  3. #13
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I think only one that would be there at pick 17. Kevin Minter. But the problem is you could get Kevin Minter between picks 25-32 this year. Dion Jordan wont see much of the field in 2013. I also think Desmond Trufant has a chance to come right in an start...maybe. Regardless of Scheme. But he too should be taken no sooner than the 25th pick.
    I mostly agree with you about Minter. Would be good to trade back 6 or 7 spots and drafting him. He is a true leader on the field and would be Potsie 2.0. Would have the chance to start game 1.

    Dion Jordan is athletic, but I am beginning to think he is not a fit in the 3-4. He finished the season at 220lbs. He is excellent in coverage and he can rush the passer. He has a lot of potential, but the may be better in the 4-3 at SLB.

    Trufant is too old at 24 to take in the first. When is the last time the Steelers drafted someone that old in the first?

    I would replace Trufant with Xavier Rhodes in the first. He could play safety or corner and we know how Tomlin loves FSU.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  4. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,367
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Or, perhaps, they know what they are doing and want to put their young players in a position to succeed instead of fail...
    Hmmm. Interesting, i kind of agree but I think we need to let some young guys learn through failure. Whats the point of drafting these guys if we are sooo scared of them failing? I think the league is changing. Teams no longer put a QB on the sideline for 3 years to groom them. I can understand positions where our playmakers are already in place but we need to get these kids feet wet earlier because our vets dont have the legs to keep up with these young guys.

    Simplify the D and turn these guys loose. The league had too many 3-4's to think we can confuse QB's into mistakes like we used to. Athleticism trumps scheme IMO and our tricks are limiting our players natural instincts.

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Manti Te'o could start year one. Before one bad game and it going public he had a gigantic trick played on him he was a top ten pick, potentially top 5. Pairing him up with Timmons in the center of our 3-4 is still very appealing to me. Gotta get the DL eating blocks though.
    @_Hellgrammite

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Hmmm. Interesting, i kind of agree but I think we need to let some young guys learn through failure. Whats the point of drafting these guys if we are sooo scared of them failing? I think the league is changing. Teams no longer put a QB on the sideline for 3 years to groom them. I can understand positions where our playmakers are already in place but we need to get these kids feet wet earlier because our vets dont have the legs to keep up with these young guys.

    Simplify the D and turn these guys loose. The league had too many 3-4's to think we can confuse QB's into mistakes like we used to. Athleticism trumps scheme IMO and our tricks are limiting our players natural instincts.
    Teams that suck can plug in rookies and let them learn on the job...now that the Steelers finished 8-8 instead of 12-4, I think they will be open to doing that...

  7. #17
    The best value difference maker could be the guy in the 4th round of my mock. First round talent with a 2 cent head...but if he could find some maturity...can be a #1 in this league.
    2014 NFL Draft
    1) ​Darqueze Dennard-DB MSU
    2) Jordan Matthews-WR Vandy
    3) Chris Borland-ILB Wisconsin
    4) Caraun Reid, DT Princeton
    5) De'Anthony Thomas-RB Oregon
    5b) Ryan Carrethers-NT Arkansas State
    6) Jeff Janis-WR Saginow Valley State
    6b) Seantrel Henderson, OT MIami
    7) Colt Lyerla -TE Oregon

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •