Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ta'amu Working on Plea Deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Ta'amu Working on Plea Deal

Hopefully this gets resolved and he has an opportunity to be in the mix next year:

[URL]http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/lawyer-working-plea-deal-steelers-taamu/nWCts/[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Hopefully this gets resolved and he has an opportunity to be in the mix next year:

[URL]http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/lawyer-working-plea-deal-steelers-taamu/nWCts/[/URL]
    From a football standpoint, yea, I hope they can resolve it in some fashion that is a win-win for everyone including those injured during the chase. On the other hand, I'm not certain that he deserves a second chance after that rampage through Pittsburgh. If they were to part ways with him I wouldn't be sad in the least. If a deal is reached and he remains a Steeler he will have a lot to prove to many.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree Pap. I'm tired of famous people or sports figures getting mulligans, while the rest of us just wait to be their next victims. Justice should be blind.

If there is a way within the ideas of justice (which are often lost in the "justice system") then great. If not, adios. Enjoy Bubba.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    From a football standpoint, yea, I hope they can resolve it in some fashion that is a win-win for everyone including those injured during the chase. On the other hand, I'm not certain that he deserves a second chance after that rampage through Pittsburgh. If they were to part ways with him I wouldn't be sad in the least. If a deal is reached and he remains a Steeler he will have a lot to prove to many.

Pappy
    If the Steelers wanted to part ways with him they would have already done it. The fact that they didn't indicates to me that there may be things we edon't know about that are effecting the Steelers desire to stick with this kid. The easy thing would just be to cut ties with him.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I agree Pap. I'm tired of famous people or sports figures getting mulligans, while the rest of us just wait to be their next victims. Justice should be blind.

If there is a way within the ideas of justice (which are often lost in the "justice system") then great. If not, adios. Enjoy Bubba.
    Justice has NEVER been blind. It has nothing to do with these guys being athletes. There are numerous factors that effect the outcome of these case which is why judges are human beings. If justice was blind you would just plug the offense into the compouter and get a sentence out the other end.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Justice has NEVER been blind. It has nothing to do with these guys being athletes. There are numerous factors that effect the outcome of these case which is why judges are human beings. If justice was blind you would just plug the offense into the compouter and get a sentence out the other end.
    Nothing to do with them being athletes? Tell that to Ray-ray's two jailbird buddies.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Lol... i live in Charlotte and most of the crimes are committed by repeat offenders. The guy didnt kill anyone or hold a family hostage.

Starter

User Info Menu

... and I think Ta'amu WOULD be Bubba.

But I don't want that to happen. I am hoping he can turn it around. Even if it's his third chance.

Has he been in trouble with the law before this incident?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    Nothing to do with them being athletes? Tell that to Ray-ray's two jailbird buddies.
    Last I knew those two buddies were never convicted. They got off scott free. They didn't even have to plea to anything, as Ray actually did.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Last I knew those two buddies were never convicted. They got off scott free. They didn't even have to plea to anything, as Ray actually did.
    You would be correct
    [URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2000/06/13/sports/pro-football-lewis-s-friends-acquitted.html?ref=reginaldoakley[/URL]
    . PRO FOOTBALLPRO FOOTBALL; Lewis's Friends Acquitted
    Published: June 13, 2000

ATLANTA, June 12— Two friends and former co-defendants of the football player Ray Lewis were acquitted of murder and assault charges today in the stabbings of two men after a post-Super Bowl party.

The jury deliberated less than five hours before returning the verdicts in the trial of Joseph Sweeting and Reginald Oakley.

The verdicts came just hours after Lewis practiced with the Baltimore Ravens for the first time since pleading guilty to a misdemeanor charge and testifying for the prosecution in the murder case.

Oakley hugged his lawyer, Bruce Harvey, who pumped his fist in exuberance when the verdicts were announced. Sweeting leaned over and put his head on the defense table.

Sweeting, Oakley and Lewis were charged with murder, felony murder and aggravated assault in the Jan. 31 deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar, who were stabbed outside the party in Atlanta's Buckhead district.

Lewis, a linebacker who was the National Football League's top tackler last season, reached a plea agreement with District Attorney Paul Howard last week. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor obstruction-of-justice charge, testified against Oakley and Sweeting, and will serve a year of probation, but no jail time.

The Ravens' minicamp in Owings Mills, Md., was finished by the time the verdicts came down, and Lewis was unavailable for comment. The Ravens said they would have no comment on the acquittals.

Sweeting, a longtime friend of Lewis's from Miami, was charged with Lollar's death. Oakley, an acquaintance of Lewis's from Baltimore, was charged with Baker's death.

Both faced life in prison if convicted, but the jury found them innocent on all counts.

''We are deeply, deeply disappointed in the verdict,'' Howard said.

Baker and Lollar were stabbed during a street fight that erupted around 4 a.m. as the nightclubs in the Buckhead district were closing after the Super Bowl, which was held in Atlanta.

In closing arguments, the district attorney conceded that no witness saw Sweeting or Oakley stab anyone. Instead, Howard insisted there was enough circumstantial evidence to warrant a murder conviction.

Howard plans to review the case and may bring charges against other people who were in Lewis's limousine. But those are not likely to be murder charges

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.