Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: If you could get an immediate impact player...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As Ovi stated he could make an immediate impact and solidify our O-line.
    Just look at the Ravens how their O-line played against one of the best front seven's in football, Flacco was sacked only once and had the time to make plays.
    I don't care how many O-linemen we drafted. if you have a chance to get the next Alan Fanaca that would be hard to turn down, but knowing the Steelers that's probably what they will do, and draft another position.

Ask yourself this. Lets say Ansa & Womack is there when we pick who would you choose?
    Immediate impact? Womack all day!

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Womack doesn't fit the new scheme, it's a wasted pick...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    As Ovi stated he could make an immediate impact and solidify our O-line.
    Just look at the Ravens how their O-line played against one of the best front seven's in football, Flacco was sacked only once and had the time to make plays.
    I don't care how many O-linemen we drafted. if you have a chance to get the next Alan Fanaca that would be hard to turn down, but knowing the Steelers that's probably what they will do, and draft another position.

Ask yourself this. Lets say Ansa & Womack is there when we pick who would you choose?
    Immediate impact? Womack all day!
    Flacco was sacked once because he moved around, checked down and he has some big WR's.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't care what scheme we are running, our run game is putrid, he'll road grade for the backs plus he can pass block pretty damn good.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I don't care what scheme we are running, our run game is putrid, he'll road grade for the backs plus he can pass block pretty damn good.
    I understand that you don't care. But, the coaches probably do. That being the case, if he doesn't fit, it's a wasted pick...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You hear the name because our OL is responsible for protecting the most valuable asset on the team and it isn't good enough to do that yet. Offense is more important than defense in the NFL now.

Why would you want to use a #1 pick on a supposed "defensive playmaker" who will stand on the sideline and watch for one to two seasons? Draft Warmack and he is in the starting lineup Game #1!
    If it is not good enough with two #1's (one of which is already perennial All-Pro), and two #2's spent in the last three years, then what was the point of spending all those picks on those guys? If we do end up picking Warmack, I doubt anyone could cite a team who has ever invested as heavily in a unit as we would have, just in the interior o-line (i.e. three first-round picks?).

OTOH, a guy who could step right in and bring energy, and recklessness (i.e. the way Polamalu used to) to a unit STARVING for it at this point, would help the team much more than one more stud lineman. A guy like Te'o (not Te'o, but a guy with his on-field track record), a guy like Honey Badger (maybe not him, but on-the-field wherever the guy was, the ball would pop out). That's what we need.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    If it is not good enough with two #1's (one of which is already perennial All-Pro), and two #2's spent in the last three years, then what was the point of spending all those picks on those guys? If we do end up picking Warmack, I doubt anyone could cite a team who has ever invested as heavily in a unit as we would have, just in the interior o-line (i.e. three first-round picks?).

OTOH, a guy who could step right in and bring energy, and recklessness (i.e. the way Polamalu used to) to a unit STARVING for it at this point, would help the team much more than one more stud lineman. A guy like Te'o (not Te'o, but a guy with his on-field track record), a guy like Honey Badger (maybe not him, but on-the-field wherever the guy was, the ball would pop out). That's what we need.

Can't bring "and recklessness (i.e. the way Polamalu used to) to a unit STARVING for it at this point" when you are4 standing on the sideline watching because you have not mastered the defense according to the "professor." Troy wasn't allowed to play so what makes you think LeBeau will start another rookie to get playmaking capabilities imeediately? He won't! There is zero indication in his history that he would do this.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What is the new "scheme" he can't fit into? We aren't talking about a defensive player who the Coordinator requires two years of training to fit into "his scheme."
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What is the new "scheme" he can't fit into? We aren't talking about a defensive player who the Coordinator requires two years of training to fit into "his scheme."
    Blocking schemes....

If the new OL coach wants to use more athletic linemen, they may decide that a road grader like Womack wouldn't fit... s

It's not rocket surgery...

Rookie

User Info Menu

I understand that some people com plain about getting plaers acclimated to the defensive system...the Steelers can take the luxury of time because, for the most part, they haven sucked...teams that suck require players who make immediate impacts...

Now that the Steelers finished 8-8, the door may open to do that...