Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much better are the Ravens than Pgh?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

How much better are the Ravens than Pgh?

Consider:

- We went 1-1 against them.
    - We barely lost to them with a back up QB who literally could not throw.
    - We beat them with a 38-year-old, 3rd-string QB.

That being said, at the time we played them, both times, they were in a slump. Didn't they lose like 4 out of 5 in that stretch? They lost to Wash (play off team), Denver (play off team) and Cinci (play off team).

I think, when it comes down to it, Ray Lewis' retirement announcement did what it was designed to do: It inspired them to really give lights out effort. Keisel said he thinks it was similar to the 2005 season with the team playing for Bettis.

Bottom line: Balt. and Pgh's D are pretty equal. Their receivers were a tad better than Pgh's this year (with Wallace's lack of effort and bad attitude spoiling the team) and they definitely had a better rushing game, with Ray Rice and their OL being better than anything we could field. (Balt. 11th over all in rushing with a 4.3 apc and Pgh being 26th, 3.7 apc - LAME).

Right now, Flacco is playing better then Ben did at season's end, no doubt. But over all, I'd say the QB spot is about even.

However, even though it seems we aren't that far from being as good as Balt. our team is going to have a lot more losses with our players than they will. It seems likely that we will be looking up to them next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is a fine line for this stuff in the NFL.
    the Ravens were looking pretty average mid season and then started hitting stride toward the end just in time.
    I think the team has stepped up at the time we stepped down.
    They also overcame some big injuries and Flacco is playing well.
    They're better but not by much.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens are in the Super Bowl...Steelers are at home watching. 'Nuff said.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What he ^^ said. But, I agree that talent-wise the teams are close, and that bears out in the head to head games. They had the mojo this year, we didnt.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you take the time to go back and look, the Ravens entire post-season came down to just a few plays during the season. If SD can figure out how to stop a RB on 4th & 29, if Dallas could figure out how to kick of field goal at the buzzer, if KC can figure out how to stop a 3rd & 15...

I know, a lot of 'ifs', but the Ravens games were very much like the Steelers... many coming down to just a few clutch plays. The more you look, the more you would agree that at clutch time THIS SEASON, Flacco>Ben.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    If you take the time to go back and look, the Ravens entire post-season came down to just a few plays during the season. If SD can figure out how to stop a RB on 4th & 29, if Dallas could figure out how to kick of field goal at the buzzer, if KC can figure out how to stop a 3rd & 15...

I know, a lot of 'ifs', but the Ravens games were very much like the Steelers... many coming down to just a few clutch plays. The more you look, the more you would agree that at clutch time THIS SEASON, Flacco>Ben.
    Agree with the first part of your answer, not so much with the second. The bounces didn't go our way this year while they certainly did for the Ravens. As for your comparison of the QBs...I couldn't disagree more - Flacco is not better than Ben except for staying injury-free. What he is, is that he's the streakiest QB in the league as evidenced by both his good play in the post-season & the fact he was at the helm during a late-season swoon that almost had the Ravens miss the playoffs. That doesn't even take into account that Flacco put up four of the worst QB ratings this season - hardly elite, but he's in the big game & the media will be eager to crown him elite if they win. Also, don't discount the fact that Flacco benefits from having Ray Rice which forces defenses to play honest - what did the Steelers have this year in that department? Lastly, despite how the season ended, remember that Ben was being hailed as a MVP candidate whereas Flacco is second-fiddle on his own team to the aforementioned Rice.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Rookie

User Info Menu

The Ravens are just more fortunate this year...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

On paper you could say both teams are close, but we lost to Tenn, Oakland,San Diego, Cleveland, struggled against KC. We lost 5 of eight by three points but good teams find a way to win those close games and we didn't.
    We are what the record says, an 8-8 team, the Ravens are 13-6 as of now.

I would say they are much better. They are superior in the run game, their O-line is better, and this year their receiver corps outplayed ours.
    On defense I would say their Defensive line is better so if you put it all together the reality is they are the superior team THIS year.
    They defeated three top QB's in the game, Luck, Manning, Brady against all odds, so there is no doubt who the better team is between us and them.

I'm not going to sugarcoat the difference in these teams. They made it to the AFC title game two years in a row, thats not luck, thats a good team. Just look back to the first game of the 2011 season when they dominated the game on both sides of the ball in Baltimore, then came here playing a stronger Steelers team that year and found a way to win at the end.

Legend

User Info Menu

Look at it by position:

QB-Steelers
    RB-Ravens
    OL-Ravens
    WR-Even
    TE-Steelers

DL-Ravens
    LB-Even
    DB-Even

Special Teams-Ravens

Right now I would say the Ravens are better which is why they are in the Super Bowl
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens are better... we match up well with the Ravens but they are slightly better than we are. When you look closely at the Ravens, they were extremely lucky or made the key play to extend their run while we found ways to shoot ourselves in the foot.

vs KC: They should have lost this game. Worst call I've every seen on a pick play where the DB blew up the WR and still got the call which brought back a TD.
    vs SD: 4 and freaking 29... and they throw short and convert. We looked like azzz vs SD AT HOME.
    vs Colts: Ray Rice has 2 huge fumbles... so they plug in the rookie RB and he gains 100 yards. Impressive.
    vs Denver: The ST's give up 2 TD's.. Ravens are done. Miracle 72 yard bomb by Flacco. It's their year.
    vs Pats: Completely destroyed them in the 2nd half on their field and Flacco outplays Brady for the second year in a row.

The Ravens look like we used to look a few years ago I just think they beat us when it comes to replacing vets.