Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: If you could get an immediate impact player...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    ..and also, by trading this years 3rd round pick, the Steelers could move up from their 2nd round pick as high as the #30 overall pick this year. And that is how they can get another plug and play, immediate return player in Kevin Minter. One draft, and two immediate impact players. And with the amount of compensatory picks coming next year, these two trades wont hurt the future of the Steelers or adding depth.
    First of all, I just don't think this is realistic. You need other teams willing to trade with you too. I'd either stay put, or consider trading down with the intention of maybe getting a Kevin Minter at the end of the 1st round, IF someone down there has a willingness to move up. Even though your 1st pick in your mock has potential to be a great player, I just don't see the need for another OL in the first few rounds of this year's draft.

Trading down would really only net us an extra 3rd round pick probably, but the extra pick would allow us to fill another hole. WR, RB, etc.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Why not? It could be the back end of round two next year. And with the extra compensatory picks it makes up for some of that loss. Eric Fischer comes in on day one and stars. Makes the O-line very solid. At 17 I really dont see that happening with any player.
    Dub, I understand Fisher is a highly sought after OT in this year's draft, but here's my comments and question to you. The Steelers have drafted over the past few seasons the following players: Maurkice Pouncey, Marcus Gilbert, Michael Adams and David DeCastro all with premium picks (rounds 1 and 2). Is it prudent to add yet another premium pick and give up on a previous pick (Adams or Gilbert). The Steelers have invested heavily in offensive line talent and defensive line talent in the past couple years, IMO, it's time to invest in the players behind the defensive line due to age and contract (Harrison, Taylor, Clark, Polamalu).

It also appears that the Steelers will have what appeared to be a strength of the team become a weakness in the WR corps with the exodus of Wallace, the age of Cotchery, the injuries to Sanders and hopefully, AB becomes what the Steelers believe he would. A WR with a premium pick might not be a bad idea, but WR also seems to be a position that can be filled in later rounds because the college game has evolved into a passing game and the colleges are producing a lot of quality WRs, so maybe you wait on the WR.

OTOH, I'd like to see Minter in Black-and-Gold, but not sure how to go about making that happen, I think he'll be gone by 1.17.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Dub, I understand Fisher is a highly sought after OT in this year's draft, but here's my comments and question to you. The Steelers have drafted over the past few seasons the following players: Maurkice Pouncey, Marcus Gilbert, Michael Adams and David DeCastro all with premium picks (rounds 1 and 2). Is it prudent to add yet another premium pick and give up on a previous pick (Adams or Gilbert). The Steelers have invested heavily in offensive line talent and defensive line talent in the past couple years, IMO, it's time to invest in the players behind the defensive line due to age and contract (Harrison, Taylor, Clark, Polamalu).

It also appears that the Steelers will have what appeared to be a strength of the team become a weakness in the WR corps with the exodus of Wallace, the age of Cotchery, the injuries to Sanders and hopefully, AB becomes what the Steelers believe he would. A WR with a premium pick might not be a bad idea, but WR also seems to be a position that can be filled in later rounds because the college game has evolved into a passing game and the colleges are producing a lot of quality WRs, so maybe you wait on the WR.

OTOH, I'd like to see Minter in Black-and-Gold, but not sure how to go about making that happen, I think he'll be gone by 1.17.

Pappy
    I completely agree. People seem to think we've neglected the o-line. Like you said, the Steelers recently invested a lot of premium picks on our o-line. If we draft another o-lineman in the 1st round... let's say Warmack, our o-line would be:

LT: Gilbert (2nd rounder)
    LG: Warmack (1st rounder)
    C: Pouncey (1st rounder)
    RG: DeCastro (1st rounder)
    RT: Adams (2nd rounder)

Our linebackers (assuming Foote is back and starting) is:

Timmons (1st rounder)
    Foote (4th rounder)
    Woodley (2nd rounder)
    Harrison (UDFA), Worilds (2nd rounder)

We really a starting ILB. Foote is a stop gap player with minimal impact and slim to non playmaking ability.

We need safeties and we need CB depth.

If we were to choose an offensive position in the 1st round, my #1 choice would be Hopkins from Clemson.

The d-line has two 1st rounders. That hasn't been neglected either. I wish the Steelers would have drafted a 1st round NT and a 1st round DE instead of two first round DEs.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The d-line has two 1st rounders. That hasn't been neglected either. I wish the Steelers would have drafted a 1st round NT and a 1st round DE instead of two first round DEs.
    Ziggy Hood may yet end up being the first round NT...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Ziggy Hood may yet end up being the first round NT...
    At pick number 17 this year.....you can get an impact player but I do not believe an "immediate impact" player. Maybe, just maybe, Kevin Minter...but do you want to use the 17th pick on a player you probably could get at pick 28,29, or 30?

And I disagree about the difficulty of finding a trade partner. A team like San Diego has a lot of needs and a new general manager.

Here is the latest GBNREPORT.com 3 round mock that shows Eric Fischer going at pick #11 to San Diego.

[url]http://gbnreport.com/2013projection.html[/url]

Tennessee Chance Warmack
    OG
    Alabama
    San Diego Eric Fisher
    OT
    Central Michigan
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It would be good to get a Jarvis Jones. From what I've read, he could be a fantastic impact player for the Steelers. The last thing I would want is yet another OL guy in the first three rounds. I could see getting a TE, but with the teams needs I don't see OL being the place to invest at this point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I completely agree. People seem to think we've neglected the o-line. Like you said, the Steelers recently invested a lot of premium picks on our o-line. If we draft another o-lineman in the 1st round... let's say Warmack, our o-line would be:

LT: Gilbert (2nd rounder)
    LG: Warmack (1st rounder)
    RT: Adams (2nd rounder)
    I personally like this better..

LT: Fischer (1st rounder)
    LG: Beachum (7th rounder)
    RT: Adams (2nd rounder) and Gilbert (2nd rounder), battle it out in camp.

Our linebackers (assuming Foote is back and starting) is:

Timmons (1st rounder)
    Foote (4th rounder)
    Woodley (2nd rounder)
    Harrison (UDFA), Worilds (2nd rounder)

We really a starting ILB. Foote is a stop gap player with minimal impact and slim to non playmaking ability.
    Trade your 3rd round pick this year and it moves you up to the 30th overall pick in this draft and you select Kevin Minter.

We need safeties and we need CB depth.

If we were to choose an offensive position in the 1st round, my #1 choice would be Hopkins from Clemson.

I would rather this team get two immediate impact players than to worry about depth, but n knowing this team may have a total of 18-19 picks between the next two years should play a role in getting depth.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    It would be good to get a Jarvis Jones. From what I've read, he could be a fantastic impact player for the Steelers. The last thing I would want is yet another OL guy in the first three rounds. I could see getting a TE, but with the teams needs I don't see OL being the place to invest at this point.
    Never gonna happen. He is a top 3 pick if not the number 1 overall pick.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Never gonna happen. He is a top 3 pick if not the number 1 overall pick.
    I thought this was an "If you could..." thread and not necessarily based on reality.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Pappy
    I dont see that. I believe he goes from 25-32. As much as I love him he plays ILB which isnt a premium position in the NFL, plus there are two other ILB who may go before him (Ogletree and Te'o), and there are just too many splash players ahead of him in this draft.