Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers hire Danny Smith Special Teams Coach

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Wasn't wanted by anyone else all those years? We requested an interview with him a few years back when he ultimately hired Al Everest, but the Skins blocked us from interviewing him back then. They didn't block us from interviewing him now.

Never promoted from within? The special teams coach is a coordinator. Offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator, special teams coordinator. The only possible promotion from a coordinator position would be head coach.

He was kept from one coaching regime to another in Washington (twice) simply because he is a good special teams coordinator (just like Dick LeBeau was kept from the Cowher to Tomlin coaching regime because he is a good defensive coordinator).
    okay, i can see you are in love with this hire. i expect our special teams will be much much improved.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Question....Did Tomlin say after firing Al Everest that he would personally have a hand in special teams this past season? I can't remember if I read an article in a paper that he said that, or just heard on a board or from someone else that he said it.
    i think i heard he was gonna unleash hell on the special teams

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    okay, i can see you are in love with this hire. i expect our special teams will be much much improved.
    Not in love with the hire per se. Don't know enough about him yet. We'll have to wait and see. The proof is in the pudding. I was just saying that there must be something there for him to stick with a team twice through head coaching changes (where typically an entire staff is sent packing unless there is someone like Dick LeBeau there). Personally, I tend to prefer younger, enthusiatic guys than 59 year olds to come in and coach special teams (since they are typically dealing with the youngest players on the roster all the time, so it might be better for the rooks to have someone that they might be able to relate to a little better), but I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt for the time being. This is also the second time that we approached the Skins about this guy, so there must be something there that the Steelers really like, I would imagine.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Not in love with the hire per se. Don't know enough about him yet. We'll have to wait and see. The proof is in the pudding. I was just saying that there must be something there for him to stick with a team twice through head coaching changes (where typically an entire staff is sent packing unless there is someone like Dick LeBeau there). Personally, I tend to prefer younger, enthusiatic guys than 59 year olds to come in and coach special teams (since they are typically dealing with the youngest players on the roster all the time, so it might be better for the rooks to have someone that they might be able to relate to a little better), but I'm giving this one the benefit of the doubt for the time being. This is also the second time that we approached the Skins about this guy, so there must be something there that the Steelers really like, I would imagine.

good response. i agree with you wholeheartedly witht he age thing but maybe he's a young 59, like DL is a young 100 and whatever he is...

Legend

User Info Menu

2012 -16
    2011 -22
    2010 -26
    2009 -27
    2008 -18
    2007 -16
    2006 -11
    2005 -5
    2004 -26
    this was with the redskins (18th rank average)
    ------------------------------------------

2003 -24
    2002- 20
    2001 -28
    this was with the bills (24th rank average)

not sure where this poster got his info but it doesnt look like an impressive resume.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't really know enough about Smith other than what I read or heard, it appears he's an average coach, nothing to rave about or nothing real bad about his coaching.
    I'll wish him good luck and hope he can improve our special teams but its not all on the coach either, our players have to want to and execute something they were lacking in. Dumb penalties hurt us too on returns that negated good field position and in some cases TD's that were called back on account of undisciplined play.

Hope it works.

Legend

User Info Menu

2012 -16
    2011 -22
    2010 -26
    2009 -27
    2008 -18
    2007 -16
    2006 -11
    2005 -5
    2004 -26

2003 -24
    2002- 20
    2001 -28

not sure where this poster got his info but it doesnt look like an impressive resume.
    What does this measure?

Legend

User Info Menu

Looking at the Redskins message boards...the fans don't seem too sad to see Smith leave.

Hope I'm wrong, but this hire seems to have mediocrity written all over it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Looking at the Redskins message boards...the fans don't seem too sad to see Smith leave.

Hope I'm wrong, but this hire seems to have mediocrity written all over it.
    A lot of fans on this message board wouldn't be sad to see LeBeau leave...

In general, I don't trust message boards...Especially if the fan base isn't as knowledgable as the Steelers'...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

2012 -16
    2011 -22
    2010 -26
    2009 -27
    2008 -18
    2007 -16
    2006 -11
    2005 -5
    2004 -26

2003 -24
    2002- 20
    2001 -28

So he's the Bruce Arians of special teams ? Maybe the new surroundings with help him to do better ?