Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Why teams shouldn't pick RBs in first round of the draft (new from SteelCityStats)

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think it is safe to say that Lacy is probably better than Dwyer and he is definitely better than Redman and Batch.
    I don't. Lacy hasn't played a down in the NFL...

    Change the word "probably" to "potentially" and I agree...

  2. #12
    Barring he has some type of character issue that no one knows about, Eddie Lacy will be a first round draft choice.














  3. #13
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPrnpAK4n5Y

    Eddie Lacy highlights. Don't play around the kids. Profanity laden soundtrack.














  4. #14
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,556
    There are a few RBs that would be worthy of a 1st round pick.
    I think they're a dime a dozen myself, but guys like Adrian Peterson don't come around everyday.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,458
    I would say, Yes...You could find highly productive or even Pro Bowl caliber RBs later in the draft. You could say that about every position but it seems RB is one that gets the attention because of the touches. I would say it is very rare where a RB clearly warrants that high 1st round grade where he seperates himself from everyone else. That "special" guy coming out where you could see he is a game changer. The speed of the game in the jump is a big equilizer for RBs. That is where being a football player first makes those mid-late round picks have production at this level. There is no meter at the combine that measures "football player". When you put the ball in his hands 20-30 times a game at this level, the football players come to the top & the "athletes" may struggle.

    RBs are one of those skill positions where a player can be highly productive in the NFL because of intangibles & non-measurables. It is also difficult at times to project what you see on tape because of whom they played for meaning talent around them, system, depth etc. at the college level. You can find that RB with average measurables that may have unique vision, the ability to be a one cut decisive runner, runs downhill with a good pad level, ability to break tackles & not go down on first contact, and has great balance & feet. A real workhorse who is durable. Not a home run hitter but a chain mover and can get you big chunks. Those are the guys you can find throughout the draft. They can be a "feature" back and make DC gameplan to stop them. I don't think that "risk reward" factor balances out enough for RBs drafted high. Personally, I don't like any RB this year in the top 50.



  6. #16
    The Lacy highlights shows him executing "spin" moves. That should move him out of consideration since Steeler Nation dislikes Spindenhall. What I've seen of Lacy, I think I would rather resign Mendenhall. Mendenhall has been a basically productive player, and he's faster. He's been out for a year so he should be able to rehab and get ready for a few more seasons. So he was mad and stayed home for a game, which he wouldn't have dressed or played in anyway. I don't think that warrants the death penalty. If he is contrite, he's forgiven. I'm easy. I don't trust Dwyer or Redman to be a lead back next year and if they don't draft a back in the top 2-3 rds, you don't know what you'll get. The FA crop of RBs is not that enticing.

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I would say, Yes...You could find highly productive or even Pro Bowl caliber RBs later in the draft. You could say that about every position but it seems RB is one that gets the attention because of the touches. I would say it is very rare where a RB clearly warrants that high 1st round grade where he seperates himself from everyone else. That "special" guy coming out where you could see he is a game changer. The speed of the game in the jump is a big equilizer for RBs. That is where being a football player first makes those mid-late round picks have production at this level. There is no meter at the combine that measures "football player". When you put the ball in his hands 20-30 times a game at this level, the football players come to the top & the "athletes" may struggle.

    RBs are one of those skill positions where a player can be highly productive in the NFL because of intangibles & non-measurables. It is also difficult at times to project what you see on tape because of whom they played for meaning talent around them, system, depth etc. at the college level. You can find that RB with average measurables that may have unique vision, the ability to be a one cut decisive runner, runs downhill with a good pad level, ability to break tackles & not go down on first contact, and has great balance & feet. A real workhorse who is durable. Not a home run hitter but a chain mover and can get you big chunks. Those are the guys you can find throughout the draft. They can be a "feature" back and make DC gameplan to stop them. I don't think that "risk reward" factor balances out enough for RBs drafted high. Personally, I don't like any RB this year in the top 50.
    In other words.... Emmett Smith type. Lame measurables, but ridiculously consistent.

  8. #18
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    While Chadman agrees with your statement- 2nd & 3rd round RB's are often better 'value' RB's, statistics don't back up that 2nd & 3rd round RB's are better than 1st round RB's. The 12 of 20 RB's not selected in the 1st round are spread throught 6 other rounds... the simple maths equation says that's 10% success from each remaining round.

    Not disagreeing that there is better value in the 2nd/3rd round, just being nit-picky about stats.
    You can make this argument for any position on the field, if you wanted to. Should we not take QBs until the 6th round since that is where Tom Brady was taken?

    Were Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson, Chris Johnson, Jon Stewart, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Stephen Jackson, Larry Johnson, Willis McGayhee, LT, Duce McAllister, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander, Edge James. Ricky Williams, Fred Taylor, Eddie George, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, Bettis, Robert Smith, Hearst, Emmitt Smith, et al not worthy of taking in the first round?

    Also, the article mentions that taking Lacy at 17 over all is too high. I haven't seen ANYONE assert that Lacy go in the 1st round. Everyone has him listed as a 2nd round pick. There have been a ton of top RBs taken in the 2nd round, including Ray Rice, Mo Jo, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Clinton Portis, Travis Henry, Tiki Barber, Corey Dillon, Mike Alstott, Charlie Garner, etc.

  9. #19
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,422
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    You can make this argument for any position on the field, if you wanted to. Should we not take QBs until the 6th round since that is where Tom Brady was taken?

    Were Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, David Wilson, Chris Johnson, Jon Stewart, Adrian Peterson, Marshawn Lynch, Stephen Jackson, Larry Johnson, Willis McGayhee, LT, Duce McAllister, Jamal Lewis, Shaun Alexander, Edge James. Ricky Williams, Fred Taylor, Eddie George, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders, Bettis, Robert Smith, Hearst, Emmitt Smith, et al not worthy of taking in the first round?

    Also, the article mentions that taking Lacy at 17 over all is too high. I haven't seen ANYONE assert that Lacy go in the 1st round. Everyone has him listed as a 2nd round pick. There have been a ton of top RBs taken in the 2nd round, including Ray Rice, Mo Jo, LeSean McCoy, Matt Forte, Clinton Portis, Travis Henry, Tiki Barber, Corey Dillon, Mike Alstott, Charlie Garner, etc.
    Not sure if we are arguing the same thing. The article suggests that it's not worth taking a RB in the 1st round because only 8 out of the top 20 RB's in 2012 are 1st round guys. Chadman pointed out that is 40% of the top 20 RB's coming from 1 round, while 60% is spread among the remaining 6 rounds.

    Simple maths will show that no other round is as successful in 2012 than the 1st round for RB's, because no other single round of the draft can produce 40% of the top 20 RB's.

    That doesn't mean you can't find players in Round 7 that will be successful- but stats prove that it's definately harder.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  10. #20
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    The article suggests that it's not worth taking a RB in the 1st round because only 8 out of the top 20 RB's in 2012 are 1st round guys. Chadman pointed out that is 40% of the top 20 RB's coming from 1 round, while 60% is spread among the remaining 6 rounds.

    Simple maths will show that no other round is as successful in 2012 than the 1st round for RB's, because no other single round of the draft can produce 40% of the top 20 RB's.

    That doesn't mean you can't find players in Round 7 that will be successful- but stats prove that it's definately harder.
    What you say is true, however it's not the point. The point is that there is not much drop off between the first through third round running backs (see the confidence interval chart), especially when you remove AP's stats. Shame on the franchise that reaches and overspends on a position where there is so much fungibility. Unless you can guarantee you're going to turn a back into Peterson, you should wait until the 2nd round to grab a back...and he'd better be good at receiving also.

    You can't just look at the 8/20 fact, albeit it's tempting to. I can counterpoint it with these (which are qualitative in nature - not quantitative because I can't prove they're significant):
    - 4 of the top 10 RBs (in terms of rushing yards) are on losing teams, including the team with the first overall pick this draft
    - all 4 of the conference championship game teams (ATL, BAL, SF, NE) have starting RBs that are from the 2nd round or higher in the draft.
    - Ray Rice is the highest drafted player of those 4 teams and he was 55th overall (almost 3rd round)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •