Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 54

Thread: How much better are the Ravens than Pgh?

  1. #31
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    The Steelers matched up well vs. the Ravens this season...hey, the Rams matched up well with the 49ers, too.
    Does anyone here think the Rams were nearly as good a team as the Niners this year?

    Maybe next year the Steelers will be better than the Ravens. I sure hope so. But this season, if you go by their records, and where they ended up? Not that close.
    Excellent point. How did the Rams stay right with the 9ers? We were very close to being the Raven's quality - but injuries were the main thing; I mean, let's be serious, the injuries were relentless. Old team

  2. #32
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    How is it then that CHARLIE BATCH beat the Ravens?

    Given how superior their oline and run game are they should crush us every time.

    We can compete with them using aging backup QBs. THAT does not seem like better coaching to me.
    In one of our only bright spots, the Steelers rose up that day. I bitch a lot about this season, but that day was awesome. Pgh had a resolve. I will never forget the Charlie-Ben embrace.

  3. #33
    Starter
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    In one of our only bright spots, the Steelers rose up that day. I bitch a lot about this season, but that day was awesome. Pgh had a resolve. I will never forget the Charlie-Ben embrace.
    yes sir.. that was the highlight of the season.. after all the well deserves CRAP everyone gave him.. OLD MAN BATCH, going out on top.. and redeemed himself!
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg
    http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

  4. #34
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    If you could describe the Steelers season what term would you pick?

    Here's mine..... Jekyll And Hyde


    They lay an egg against SanDiego let alone in OUR house, then against all odds trap the Rats.

  5. #35
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    7,059
    The difference between a 7-9 team and a 12-4 team is miniscule in the NFL. Obviously, a team that is 12-4 is "better" than a 7-9 team based on record and performance. My guess is that the 7-9 team was unable to make a handful or two of plays in a crucial moment of 3 or 4 games that cost them the season. The 12-4 team made those plays or didn't allow the other team to make them. Are the Ravens better? Not really, they played better in crucial moments. Are the Steelers better? Not really, they played poorly in crucial moments of crucial games.

    Did one team have more injuries? Probably not, but the Ravens didn't have to play a game without Joe Flacco and the Steelers played three without Ben. The Steelers played 9 games without Troy and Ed Reed played the entire year.

    The Ravens aren't better, they played better at the right time and that's a credit to them and a discredit to the Steelers inability to do the same.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Every so often we lose to Cleveland or Cinci... doesnt mean they are better that year.
    Dizz, my point was not that we are the better team. I acknowledged they are better in my post just before the one you responded to.
    I was responding to the contention that their coach is their edge.

    We played basically even with them not once but TWICE. With backup QBs. That is no one game fluke.

    They have better talent than we have when we have a HEALTHY QB, we have no business playing them even twice with ancient backup.

    You yourself mentioned how we have Flacco "figured out". That is in a sense attributing the victory directly to coaching. It sure aint talent.

    Harbaugh did a great job, but if we swapped coaches, does anyone think we are in the SB due to Harbaugh, while the Ravens don't make the playoffs due to Tomlin?
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 02-01-2013 at 01:40 PM.

  7. #37
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The difference between a 7-9 team and a 12-4 team is miniscule in the NFL. Obviously, a team that is 12-4 is "better" than a 7-9 team based on record and performance. My guess is that the 7-9 team was unable to make a handful or two of plays in a crucial moment of 3 or 4 games that cost them the season. The 12-4 team made those plays or didn't allow the other team to make them. Are the Ravens better? Not really, they played better in crucial moments. Are the Steelers better? Not really, they played poorly in crucial moments of crucial games.

    Did one team have more injuries? Probably not, but the Ravens didn't have to play a game without Joe Flacco and the Steelers played three without Ben. The Steelers played 9 games without Troy and Ed Reed played the entire year.

    The Ravens aren't better, they played better at the right time and that's a credit to them and a discredit to the Steelers inability to do the same.

    Pappy
    I understand your points, but, bottom line, the Ravens are better in 2013. Not only did they find a way to win the div., but it is what they did AFTER in the play offs that proves they were superior. Let's see we did make the play offs with the team the way it was in 2012. Do you see us beating Indy (maybe) and then Denver and Pats on the road? I hardly see any chance of that. But Balt. pulled it off, and quite impressively, if we are being honest. The way they shut down Manning and Brady in the 2nd half of those games was quite impressive. Sure, they needed a deep bomb with 40 ticks left in Denver to get it to OT, but they did it. That's all that matters.

  8. #38
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Life View Post
    Agree with the first part of your answer, not so much with the second. The bounces didn't go our way this year while they certainly did for the Ravens. As for your comparison of the QBs...I couldn't disagree more - Flacco is not better than Ben except for staying injury-free. What he is, is that he's the streakiest QB in the league as evidenced by both his good play in the post-season & the fact he was at the helm during a late-season swoon that almost had the Ravens miss the playoffs. That doesn't even take into account that Flacco put up four of the worst QB ratings this season - hardly elite, but he's in the big game & the media will be eager to crown him elite if they win. Also, don't discount the fact that Flacco benefits from having Ray Rice which forces defenses to play honest - what did the Steelers have this year in that department? Lastly, despite how the season ended, remember that Ben was being hailed as a MVP candidate whereas Flacco is second-fiddle on his own team to the aforementioned Rice.
    Read what I said again. THIS SEASON, Flacco made the plays he needed to for the Ravens to win games. Ben did not. THIS SEASON Flacco>Ben. You might dispute it. But throwing two critical INTs to end the season is not the definition of "clutch".

    Never said Flacco was a better QB overall than Ben, because his is not.

  9. #39
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Dizz, my point was not that we are the better team. I acknowledged they are better in my post just before the one you responded to.
    I was responding to the contention that their coach is their edge.

    We played basically even with them not once but TWICE. With backup QBs. That is no one game fluke.

    They have better talent than we have when we have a HEALTHY QB, we have no business playing them even twice with ancient backup.

    You yourself mentioned how we have Flacco "figured out". That is in a sense attributing the victory directly to coaching. It sure aint talent.

    Harbaugh did a great job, but if we swapped coaches, does anyone think we are in the SB due to Harbaugh, while the Ravens don't make the playoffs due to Tomlin?
    I actually think the Harbaughs are better coaches that Tomlin. I disagree about how close we play the Ravens without Ben... its a rivalry and a division opponent. They had injuries as well..

  10. #40
    I think the difference between the steelers and the ravens this past season was Leadership, Purpose and Resolve. Say what you want about Ray Lewis but he is the "straw that stirs the drink" for the ravens. Never has that been more evident than how that team has risen up to carry Ray out as a champion. The ravens played all season with hunger and deternination. We didn't! Our team played most of the season with no passion, pride or purpose. I also point to the raven victory as the best moment in our season when we did display some passion, pride and purpose.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •