Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: How much better are the Ravens than Pgh?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    I think the difference between the steelers and the ravens this past season was Leadership, Purpose and Resolve. Say what you want about Ray Lewis but he is the "straw that stirs the drink" for the ravens. Never has that been more evident than how that team has risen up to carry Ray out as a champion. The ravens played all season with hunger and deternination. We didn't! Our team played most of the season with no passion, pride or purpose. I also point to the raven victory as the best moment in our season when we did display some passion, pride and purpose.
    I can agree with this. They found a "why" to their playing this year that meant the difference. This is on-field/locker room type of leadership that needs to be there regardless of the coaches. The Steelers are in a leadership transition right now and are finding out who their leaders are.

Legend

User Info Menu

Is it Ben? It felt like all of Pittsburgh was behind Charlie Batch and that was our high point this year...

Did our FO make Ben a lame duck? He should be the team leader but it feels like the FO stripped him this year.

..and to make matters worse Arians won coach of the year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Is it Ben? It felt like all of Pittsburgh was behind Charlie Batch and that was our high point this year...

Did our FO make Ben a lame duck? He should be the team leader but it feels like the FO stripped him this year.

..and to make matters worse Arians won coach of the year.
    what makes it worse is the way the FO treated BA. Tomlin told him he'd be back. Then they said he retired. Then it came out that they kicked him to the curb. Not one of their shining moments.

There may be something to the idea that the team wanted to show themselves to be bigger than Ben that they undermined his leadership and ended up hamstringing the whole O in the process.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens are better... we match up well with the Ravens but they are slightly better than we are. When you look closely at the Ravens, they were extremely lucky or made the key play to extend their run while we found ways to shoot ourselves in the foot.

vs KC: They should have lost this game. Worst call I've every seen on a pick play where the DB blew up the WR and still got the call which brought back a TD.
    vs SD: 4 and freaking 29... and they throw short and convert. We looked like azzz vs SD AT HOME.
    vs Colts: Ray Rice has 2 huge fumbles... so they plug in the rookie RB and he gains 100 yards. Impressive.
    vs Denver: The ST's give up 2 TD's.. Ravens are done. Miracle 72 yard bomb by Flacco. It's their year.
    vs Pats: Completely destroyed them in the 2nd half on their field and Flacco outplays Brady for the second year in a row.

The Ravens look like we used to look a few years ago I just think they beat us when it comes to replacing vets.
    the regular season game VS the pats was also questionable with the winning FG

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    what makes it worse is the way the FO treated BA. Tomlin told him he'd be back. Then they said he retired. Then it came out that they kicked him to the curb. Not one of their shining moments.

There may be something to the idea that the team wanted to show themselves to be bigger than Ben that they undermined his leadership and ended up hamstringing the whole O in the process.
    This is an interesting comment. The big question is: why did the team feel they needed to do such a thing? If all was well with the Offense, then would they not leave well enough along?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm sorry Sugar but I can't buy anything remotely like this thought process happening. The organization wants to win. That is how they make their money. When you win you put butts in seats, sell more in concessions/merchandise, and draw more fans to away games. All this leads to more money in their pockets.

No way do they go out of their way just to tick off franchise QB because they want to show him who is boss. They only do it if they figure the change will help them win more games in the long run. I'm sure they think Ben will eventually embrace this offense and it will lead to more victories.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I'm sorry Sugar but I can't buy anything remotely like this thought process happening. The organization wants to win. That is how they make their money. When you win you put butts in seats, sell more in concessions/merchandise, and draw more fans to away games. All this leads to more money in their pockets.

No way do they go out of their way just to tick off franchise QB because they want to show him who is boss. They only do it if they figure the change will help them win more games in the long run. I'm sure they think Ben will eventually embrace this offense and it will lead to more victories.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post

Tell that to Ben because it sure seems like he feels this way and I've seen my boss go against sound logic just to prove he is the boss. I'm sure he thinks he is right but sometimes it's a power trip and the way they handled BA's firing smelled personal to me.

..and with Ben's past I'm sure they have gone out of their way to remind him who is in charge.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-04-2013 at 04:25 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tell that to Ben because it sure seems like he feels this way and I've seen my boss go against sound logic just to prove he is the boss. I'm sure he thinks he is right but sometimes it's a power trip and the way they handled BA's firing smelled personal to me.

..and with Ben's past I'm sure they have gone out of their way to remind him who is in charge.
    I don't know if that's how it happened or not, but the facts of the case seem to indicate something similar. It reminds me of "Private Parts" when Stern is brought to WNBC to get them ratings and they don't like his character so they put a boss over him to try and "break" him. Again, I don't know what they did/did not do in that regard, but it looks to me like they undermined Ben at a time when the team needed to have some leadership.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben is the most importnat player on our team. We can't win without him. Jerking him around would be stupid on the part of the front office. I think Arians was forced out because Art II overstepped his bounds and tried to push "Old fashioned" Steelers football a little too much. He needs to be like his Dad and stay out of things like that.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"