Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Walterfootball.com's latest mock has JARVIS JONES falling to the Steelers!

Legend

User Info Menu

Reckon that there will be a few sad faces when the Steelers don't draft an OLB early.

they have Harrison's replacement on the roster already.

The OLB Chadman is watching with interest is Nebraska's Eric Martin...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Reckon that there will be a few sad faces when the Steelers don't draft an OLB early.

they have Harrison's replacement on the roster already.

The OLB Chadman is watching with interest is Nebraska's Eric Martin...
    I take it you mean Worilds? I still dont feel comfortable with that plan for some reason. Mostly because he hasn't played enough for me to have an opinion. Then again, both of our OLB's were pretty quiet/invisible this year, especially Wood.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Harrison is cut, would it make any sense to move Woodley to ROLB and put Worilds at LOLB? Worilds seemed to struggle on the right side, but look pretty darn good on the left when filling in for Woodley.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    If Harrison is cut, would it make any sense to move Woodley to ROLB and put Worilds at LOLB? Worilds seemed to struggle on the right side, but look pretty darn good on the left when filling in for Woodley.
    I'm not certain of this, but I think to some degree Worilds appeared to struggle because he isn't James Harrison. Some fans don't realize how stinkin good James has been for the past 6 or 7 years and that's why other players look out of sorts playing his position. My hope is that the Steelers and James can work something out, before he retires I'd personally like to make sure that he's done. The last 3 or 4 games of the year he was playing in close to beast mode again. It would be great just to be able to make sure the tank is empty before he hangs them up.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I'm not certain of this, but I think to some degree Worilds appeared to struggle because he isn't James Harrison. Some fans don't realize how stinkin good James has been for the past 6 or 7 years and that's why other players look out of sorts playing his position. My hope is that the Steelers and James can work something out, before he retires I'd personally like to make sure that he's done. The last 3 or 4 games of the year he was playing in close to beast mode again. It would be great just to be able to make sure the tank is empty before he hangs them up.

Pappy
    I was thinking this too. I'd hate to see him playing like a monster for the Redskins or something because the FO cut him loose too soon.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    I take it you mean Worilds? I still dont feel comfortable with that plan for some reason. Mostly because he hasn't played enough for me to have an opinion. Then again, both of our OLB's were pretty quiet/invisible this year, especially Wood.
    IMO Worilds was a better player than both Harrison and Woodley this past season. The stats support hat given the playing time Worilds got.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

Very interesting.

No doubt OLB is on the long list now of possible 1st rd picks. But, not likely to be the 1st rd option. Your draft which would bring in a load of quality players suggests the same.

But since the board is analyzing this position I took a look at how TS acquired the successful OLB's since the Cowher era 1992.

1992 -- Gregg Lloyd and Jerrold Williams

Lloyd was a 6th rd pick drafted as a LB 1987
    Williams was a 4th rd pick drafted as a LB in 1989

1993 -- Kevin Greene FA

1996 -- Jason Gildon and Chad Brown

Chad Brown 2nd rd pick in 1993 drafted as an ILB
    Jason Gildon 3rd rd pick in 1994 drafted as a LB

1998 -- Gildon and Carlos Emmons

Emmons 7th rd pick in 1996 drafted as a LB

2000 -- Gildon and Joey Porter

Porter 3rd rd pick in 1999 drafted as a LB [Both Gildon and Haggans were listed as OLB with DE as 2nd option on nflds. Does anyone know what Defensive system Colorado St used then? I did find a vid from then but all it showed was them jumping on the QB's but from where they came ????

Haggans 5th rd drafted as a LB then replaced Gildon and that brings it up to now.

Harrison was a UDFA and Woodley was drafted as a LB so was Worilds.

Unfortunately, this is not telling me what I was looking for. Woodley however was listed on his nfldraftscout profile as a DE first and OLB second. Worilds was listed as a OLB 1st and DE 2nd.
    The others except for Chad Brown who was an ILB 1st were all listed as LB. They were all too far back to find out whether or not they did any DE stuff.

But it does seem that more than likely players who were primarily LB's have been more successful at being 3-4 OLB's than DE's. Then again maybe Kevin Greene was also DE type. And Harrison I think was always a LB of one type or other. Greene was drafted in 85 by the Rams as a LB but I do think he did play as a rush DE for them. Not sure. Does anyone remember?

But actually then there have been some players who were excellent 3-4 OLB's who played at each position in college. So it must be an individual thing. But anyway TS have not been digging these guys up lately.

Not to complicate the issue even more, but there was another highly regarded mock that had TS taking Vaccaro the Texas Safety at 17. Hey, you can't rule out DB SS FS CB in rd 1. If there is another Polamalu there or Rod Woodson. Oh well, there will be threads on this possibility in coming weeks.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Here's the thing:

The Steelers do not often get a chance at an elite pass rusher in round 1...

I recall watching the Steelers draft Troy Edwards and passing up on Jevon Kearse...please, God, never again...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    How do you feel about McLendon taking over at NT? Most people are ok with that, but Worilds has played more, and had more impact, yet we are worried about him playing.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    How do you feel about McLendon taking over at NT? Most people are ok with that, but Worilds has played more, and had more impact, yet we are worried about him playing.
    This is a good point...

Personally, I think both will see the field a lot more this season...mostly because the incumbents (Hampton and Harrison) will most likely be gone...