Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers hire Jack Bicknell Jr. as O-line coach per Labriola

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers hire Jack Bicknell Jr. as O-line coach per Labriola

Steelers hire Jack Bicknell Jr. as their offensive line coach. He replaces Sean Kugler, the new head coach at UTEP.
    [url]https://twitter.com/BobLabriola[/url]

I think this is a good hire. He coached the Chiefs line last year and is familiar with the type of o-line Haley likes.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

From Steelers site:

The Pittsburgh Steelers have named Jack Bicknell, Jr. as their new offensive line coach, it was announced today.
    Bicknell is entering his fifth season in the NFL as an assistant coach, having served as the offensive line coach for Kansas City in 2012 and as the assistant offensive line coach for the New York Giants from 2009-11.

“I am excited to have Jack join the Pittsburgh Steelers,” Steelers Head Coach Mike Tomlin said. “Jack has a tremendous football pedigree and the background we were looking for to guide our offensive line in the upcoming years. I look forward to having him join our staff as we prepare for the upcoming 2013 season.”

Bicknell was part of a New York coaching staff that helped lead the Giants to victory in Super Bowl XLVI. In 2011, New York’s offensive line only allowed 28 sacks as the Giants’ offense ranked fifth in the NFL in passing. While in New York, Bicknell helped G Chris Snee and OL Shaun O’Hara earn three selections to the NFC Pro Bowl team. In Bicknell’s first season with the Giants, three offensive linemen were selected to the Pro Bowl, marking the first time since 1962 that three Giants from the same position group were selected to the NFL’s all-star game.

“The Pittsburgh Steelers are one of the greatest franchises in the NFL," said Bicknell, Jr. "The Steelers have great tradition, great ownership and great leadership from the top to the bottom. For me to be able to come to a situation like this, it is really a dream come true."

Prior to coaching in the NFL, Bicknell coached collegiately from 1985-2008, including eight seasons as the head coach at Louisiana Tech (1999-2006), where his 43 victories ranked third in school history. Bicknell began his coaching career at Boston College, his alma mater, serving as a graduate assistant from 1985-87. He would later serve as the Eagles’ assistant head coach/offensive line coach in 2007-08.

Bicknell also coached at New Hampshire (defensive line – 1987-92; offensive line – 1993-96) and Louisiana Tech (offensive line – 1997-9.

Bicknell played center at Boston College from 1981-85. In 1984, he snapped the ball to Doug Flutie to begin one of the most famous plays in college football, a Hail Mary pass that defeated the Miami Hurricanes in the Orange Bowl. In his final season at Boston College, Bicknell was given the Scanlon Award, the highest honor bestowed upon a BC football player, the Scarminach Award for athletic and academic excellence and the Dean’s Award in the school of education.

Bicknell’s father, Jack, was the head coach of NFL Europe’s Barcelona Dragons (1991-2003) and for Boston College (1981-90). His brother, Bob, was an assistant coach in Kansas City from 2007-09 and was the wide receivers coach for the Buffalo Bills from 2010-12.
    Let's hope they give him some players to work with.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 01-29-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems to have a decent background but I don't know much about him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

nice.

I think this is a good hire.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Rookie

User Info Menu

does anyone know if he runs the zone blocking scheme???i think this would really help r o-line

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr.me View Post
    does anyone know if he runs the zone blocking scheme???i think this would really help r o-line
    I'm not so sure. We instituted the zone blocking scheme after Grimm went to Pittsburgh West and I don't think our O-line has recovered. Although I must admit most of that was due to lack of talent. Whatever system we run I just hope our linemen can play together for the entire season. I'm tired of seeing us have a new starting lineup every couple of games.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bicknell was part of a New York coaching staff that helped lead the Giants to victory in Super Bowl XLVI. In 2011, New York’s offensive line only allowed 28 sacks as the Giants’ offense ranked fifth in the NFL in passing.

If he could duplicate that here, that alone would me tremendous. in sixteen games thats an average of only 1.75 sacks a game, pretty darn good.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Bicknell was part of a New York coaching staff that helped lead the Giants to victory in Super Bowl XLVI. In 2011, New York’s offensive line only allowed 28 sacks as the Giants’ offense ranked fifth in the NFL in passing.

If he could duplicate that here, that alone would me tremendous. in sixteen games thats an average of only 1.75 sacks a game, pretty darn good.
    Let's not forget NY has a QB that gets rid of the ball faster and doesn't run around like a chicken with it's head cutoff.

No matter who the o-line is... No matter who the OL coach is... The Steelers will give up for sacks. Why? Because of Ben. That's Why.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Let's not forget NY has a QB that gets rid of the ball faster and doesn't run around like a chicken with it's head cutoff.

No matter who the o-line is... No matter who the OL coach is... The Steelers will give up for sacks. Why? Because of Ben. That's Why.
    I disagree or at least can comfortably say he'll take quite a few less. Assuming our o-line improves, even with just another year for the young guys Ben is going to take less sacks, especially in the Haley offense. Now if Adams and Gilbert can come in to their own and DeCastro gets the opportunity to play up to his draft stock it's going to be even better. The Steelers have invested in the offensive line and it's going to eventually show. Players just need to stay healthy, aka Gilbert not falling on all of them, but maybe playing in his more natural position at LT will help that, who knows.