Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Steelers hire Jack Bicknell Jr. as O-line coach per Labriola

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Insightful article, especially in regards to who they may or may not target in the draft and their decision-making with regards to the free agents.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Great article but not sure they have the talent to do what they say the want to do. If they accurately describe the type of lineman they are looking for then Warmack probably is unlikely. However, his teammate Barrett Jones would fit the bill.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

That was a good read. Pouncey, DD and Adams all seem to fit the mold. Gilbert seems to be more of a Max Starks type than an athletic OT. Beachum has the athleticism but needs to get stronger. Legursky is adequate at center but does not get the job done at OG - he has been given the opportunity but doesn't cut it.

I think the Steelers will need to add at least one G if Foster walks and Colon is cut.

Starter

User Info Menu

Dwyer and Redman are not well suited for a ZBS, I would hope that means that they try to resign Mendy.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    Dwyer and Redman are not well suited for a ZBS, I would hope that means that they try to resign Mendy.
    Doesn't Paul Johnson's option offense in Ga. Tech use zone blocking? Isn't it just a zone-read variation?

Why couldn't Dwyer succeed in a ZBS?

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Doesn't Paul Johnson's option offense in Ga. Tech use zone blocking? Isn't it just a zone-read variation?

I have no idea what they use. I was just going off of the article stating that dwyer and redman are not well suited for a ZBS. I do remember when Mendy was coming out of college people said he would be most effective in a ZBS.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't know if ZBS will be any better than man. They try to make this more complicated than it is, you either make the block or don't period.
    Getting lighter O-lineman isn't going to make things any better, they may even get pushed around more with huge D-linemen in front of them.

Here is the 95 Dallas Cowboys Offensive line.

Eric Williams 324

Nate Newton 318

Ray Donaldson 311

Larry Allen 325

Georger Hagamin 331

Thats a lot of beef up there and Emmitt found all the holes, lets get a feature back and leave things alone. The blocking will develope when we have the same 5 starters playing on a consistent basis. Getting smaller on the line is just a go ahead for D-linemen to get to Ben even more pushing them around like rag dolls.

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone know how well Zone does vs AFCN defenses? These teams all have some big boys in the middle of the field and if somehow you can get those big boys moving sideways, that might be the trick to running against them.

However, if those big boys could just as easily drive linemen backward and totally disrupt a Zone.

Thinking back to the XL run, Casey saw a couple of very small/athletic centers during the playoff run that he ate alive.

I'm a little torn on what the right way to go here is. With guys like Ngata and Atkins, I think you still need some size in the interior of your line.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post

Wonder if this puts a guy like Omoregie Uzzi on the radar as a mid round draft pick? A bit light in the trunk, but explosive & agile- and played for Georgia Tech, so is familiar with ZBS.

As for Dwyer- wasn't his role in the Ga. Tech offense weird? While he might have fit that offense, not sure if the ZBS suits him, or if he was just a good fit for the role they had him in. Still, there's no reason Chadman can see to say he won't be able to succeed.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Anyone know how well Zone does vs AFCN defenses? These teams all have some big boys in the middle of the field and if somehow you can get those big boys moving sideways, that might be the trick to running against them.

However, if those big boys could just as easily drive linemen backward and totally disrupt a Zone.
    Last year, the Chiefs (when Bicknell was O-Line Coach) rushed for 120 yards or more against each AFCN team...