Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Clark To Be Cut?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I concur!

An asute analysis.

Btw, If woodley doesn't need shaw and any training during the off season maybe he'll blow up to be our next NT

Woodley's obese size is grossly overstated.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

I concur!

An asute analysis.

Btw, If woodley doesn't need shaw and any training during the off season maybe he'll blow up to be our next NT
    The play of McLendon, and to a much lesser extent, Ta'amu isn't exactly the sort of body of work that makes Chadman think- "yep, he's the guy going forward". They both just seem ok.

Given that most fans were not happy with the overall play of the Defense, not sure how installing McLendon automatically upgrades NT next season.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Woodley's obese size is grossly overstated.
    This is true...

Rookie

User Info Menu

The play of McLendon, and to a much lesser extent, Ta'amu isn't exactly the sort of body of work that makes Chadman think- "yep, he's the guy going forward". They both just seem ok.

Given that most fans were not happy with the overall play of the Defense, not sure how installing McLendon automatically upgrades NT next season.
    The thing is:

Re-signing Hampton definitely does not upgrade the NT position next season...

Mitchell is a guy who likes to stick with his veterans...period...

Yes, I know that Casey started as a rookie, midway through the season...but that was in 2001, for God's sake...Keisel didn't start until his 5th year...

Also, Mitchell doesn't seem to care about draft position...whether you were drafted in the first round or the fifth round, you pretty much aren't getting out there unless one of his veterans is injured...

Now, this is not a criticism of Coach Mitchell...he has proven himself to be an excellent 3-4 D-Line Coach...it's just an observation...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I f you want an upgrade at NT, draft Jesse Williams or John Jenkins, otherwise we'll be just....ok.

As for Woodley, I was JK, Lamar was never on the lean side since becoming a Steeler. His weight was 265 or more and he played at a high level before the injuries. When healthy, Lamar is one of the best in the game so hopefully he'll stay injury free next season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I f you want an upgrade at NT, draft Jesse Williams or John Jenkins, otherwise we'll be just....ok.

As for Woodley, I was JK, Lamar was never on the lean side since becoming a Steeler. His weight was 265 or more and he played at a high level before the injuries. When healthy, Lamar is one of the best in the game so hopefully he'll stay injury free next season.
    But can the Steelers afford to draft a NT when they need help at RB, WR, CB or even Safety? Not to mention LB..

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The thing is:

Re-signing Hampton definitely does not upgrade the NT position next season...

Mitchell is a guy who likes to stick with his veterans...period...

Yes, I know that Casey started as a rookie, midway through the season...but that was in 2001, for God's sake...Keisel didn't start until his 5th year...

Also, Mitchell doesn't seem to care about draft position...whether you were drafted in the first round or the fifth round, you pretty much aren't getting out there unless one of his veterans is injured...

Now, this is not a criticism of Coach Mitchell...he has proven himself to be an excellent 3-4 D-Line Coach...it's just an observation...
    That's a fair observation. That said, Coach Mitchell also said we should be watching out for McLendon this year & making judgements on him based on his play in 2012. Well, the judgement on his play in 2012 certainly isn't that he's a sure-fire replacement! He was ok... there were flashes, but in Chadman's opinion- he's more confident in the success of say, Mike Adams, than McLendon, based on 2012.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not a matter of "just Installing" McLendon, it is how he is used. If he is used as just a space consumer, occupying blockers then he won't be successful. If he is allowed to pentrate and attack he could be very good.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It's not a matter of "just Installing" McLendon, it is how he is used. If he is used as just a space consumer, occupying blockers then he won't be successful. If he is allowed to pentrate and attack he could be very good.
    Chadman suspects the 'impact' McLendon has on the field is getting blown out of proportion. There was very little evidence out of McLendon that he could 'be very good'. He looks like he can serve a role, but 2 sacks & what was it? 4 QB pressures? Over the course of a season isn't making Chadman think we have a Hall of Fame guy on the roster. He's more likely to be 'just a guy' than he is to being 'very good'.

While Chadman understands you want to shake things up on defense- if you want 3 or 4 DLinemen breaking through after the QB, instead of doing what they've done on near 20 years in Pittsburgh in occupying blockers, then you may as well gather up all the LB's on the roster & punt them too, because only really Timmons is suited to dropping into coverage consistantly.

There's nothing actually 'wrong' with the system the Steelers use. Age, injury & potentially talent are the issues. Injury is mostly luck mixed with preparation. Age is fixed by knowing when to move on from older guys. And talent... well, talent is an issue regardless of the defensive front.

The argument that rookies don't get on the field in Pittsburgh is flawed- Hampton, Hood, Woodley, Cortez Allen, Larry Foote, Kendrell Bell, Willie Gay... there are numerous examples of rookies contributing early. The issue is more generally expectation. We see 1st rounders sitting on the bench for a year or two- Polamalu, Timmons, Heyward etc... all 1st round guys that didn't get on the field early, consistantly. But what were they drafted for, these guys? The Steelers do an EXCELLENT job of identifying future need- 1 or 2 years in the future. How many 1st round draft picks are on the bench after 2 years? Tomlin/Colbert have a history of drafting very young, unpolished players & coaching them up.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

Casey Hampton had 9 sacks over 12 seasons Chadman.

McClendon having 2 sacks in limited action last season is VERY impressive.