Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Clark To Be Cut?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    My gut tells me it is "health" related and he has been advised to hang them up. Steelers doctor's agree. Clark might disagree for awhile...But hopefully he comes to his senses & retires a Steeler. He was very productive in 2012...Better than Troy. I think given the situation with the cap...It makes it easier for the Steelers to force the issue. Just my gut....

Just hope the Steelers don't see Allen as the stop gap. Wait until after the draft for the second wave of FA. Worst case...Then bring Allen back.
    Health is the only reason I see him being cut or released. It seemed like every other tackle put him on the sideline. If he has concussion issues he needs to hang it up and make the move to ESPN.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

clark has had more impact plays on defense over the past two years than anyone else. he's one we need to keep (if healthy).
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Just because you don't think they have a plan, doesn't mean THEY don't have a plan. I think everyone knew Hampton was gone when they signed Fangupo and kept Ta'amu.

There really was no reason to keep Mclendon on the bench.
    $$$$ Because the fans are nervous about their favorites being cut doesn't mean that isn't part of a well thought out logical plan for the future and longer term success. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a season to set yourself up for many more successful seasons.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if its health related, I can understand it.

but golden hasn't shown anything remotely close to clarks play and his salary isn't a crazy number, as someone already pointed of. Kind of a head scratcher, if true.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    if its health related, I can understand it.

but golden hasn't shown anything remotely close to clarks play and his salary isn't a crazy number, as someone already pointed of. Kind of a head scratcher, if true.
    Probably health and age. They also save 3.5 million against the cap if they cut him. That is without having to do a restructure, etc..

Keeping Troy also means more for marketing dollars. You have to look at all aspects of the business, not just pure football decisions.

Another point that must be made: You can't have certainty at all positions in the NFL now days. Golden is an unknown. Will Allen is not. They may figure to draft a safety in the first three rounds and go with a rookie, Troy, Golden, Allen.

We've had unparalleled success as a franchise the past decades (Pats only team more successful). There will be a brief period of mediocrity.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

who said anything about having certainty at all positions? I only said that goldens play this far is nowhere near what we have come to expect from ryan clark. Losing clark also robs you of another one of your leaders which seemed to be an issue with last years team, so it hurts in that way as well. As far as drafting a safety, I wouldn't be at all shocked if we drafted 2 in the first 4-5 selections.

the change is coming on defense, everyone realizes that. I'm just not sure that jettisoning clark at this point is wise, if he is healthy.

Legend

User Info Menu

who said anything about having certainty at all positions? I only said that goldens play this far is nowhere near what we have come to expect from ryan clark. Losing clark also robs you of another one of your leaders which seemed to be an issue with last years team, so it hurts in that way as well. As far as drafting a safety, I wouldn't be at all shocked if we drafted 2 in the first 4-5 selections.

the change is coming on defense, everyone realizes that. I'm just not sure that jettisoning clark at this point is wise, if he is healthy.
    I agree about drafting two safeties in the draft. Seems to be the trend.

I think the team knows something about Clark injury wise that suggests they are willing to make the cut now versus taking the chance he gets injured next season.

New leaders have to step up just like Clark did.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If leadership has been a problem and Clark was on the team, why do we think he is a good leader?

This team needs to get young and let Tomlin exert some more control influence over them that doesn't exist with veterans.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems like a lot of conjecture at this point, and it's out of character for the Steelers to cut a starter without a genuine progression plan in place.

If even close to true, put Safety at the top of your mock drafts.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Seems like a lot of conjecture at this point, and it's out of character for the Steelers to cut a starter without a genuine progression plan in place.

If even close to true, put Safety at the top of your mock drafts.
    If this is close to true, it puts Vacarro in play at pick 17 or a trade down to get the highest rated safety on their board.

That is likely to be Vacarro depending on how he runs. I don't like him much in coverage, but he is a physical specimen at 6-1 220 lbs.
    Here comes the BOOM!