Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Keep your eye on RB Andre Ellington

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I wonder where Alfred Morris ranks? Oh wait, he went in the sixth round last year and went for 1,600 yards last year. IMO RB is the toughest position to grade because it can be so dependant on the players in front of you. For example - Do we know that Lacy is good because he did it against the best competition? Or do we not know because he got to run behind 5 guys who were pounding the D into submission for 60 minutes?

I remember when Ron Dayne came out and was drafted in the first round after piling up big numbers at Wisconsin. Any time I had seen the guy play I saw him rumbling through holes that 4 RBs could have run through side-by-side. Even looking back at the Mendenhall college tapes I saw him running untouched much of the time.
    Good points, and I was wondering the same. If you have a terrific offensive line, even if you are playing against the best in the country, a hole is a hole.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Good points, and I was wondering the same. If you have a terrific offensive line, even if you are playing against the best in the country, a hole is a hole.
    Spoken like a typical guy.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We need a feature back no doubt but we also need openings for that back, he can't run without the blocks, so maybe this is where Hal Hunter comes into play. Where's the tape when Redman and Dwyer both had 100 yrd. games, and who was starting on that line at the time?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Keylargo, why Lacy over Bernard?
    I thought I was the only one here who liked Bernard more than Lacy. To me, getting Bernard would be like adding a Shady McCoy type of dynamic talent to our backfield. Lacy was dominant in the championship game, no doubt, but I think most draftworthy RB's would look awesome behind Warmack/Jones/Fluker/etc. I just don't see that special elite quality in Lacy like I saw in Trent Richardson. I think Lacy could be what Bam Morris might have been on this level (if he didn't screw everything up, of course).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I wonder where Alfred Morris ranks? Oh wait, he went in the sixth round last year and went for 1,600 yards last year. IMO RB is the toughest position to grade because it can be so dependant on the players in front of you. For example - Do we know that Lacy is good because he did it against the best competition? Or do we not know because he got to run behind 5 guys who were pounding the D into submission for 60 minutes?

I remember when Ron Dayne came out and was drafted in the first round after piling up big numbers at Wisconsin. Any time I had seen the guy play I saw him rumbling through holes that 4 RBs could have run through side-by-side. Even looking back at the Mendenhall college tapes I saw him running untouched much of the time.
    Most teams were weary of Dayne, which is why the #1 rusher in the entire history of college history didn't go early in the first round. You'd think the #1 back of all time would be a top 5 pick, but he wasn't. Why? Because he was simply too slow for the NFL, blocking or not. In the NFL everyone on the field can fly on D. He simply took hits early and often by dudes who could smack any RB, however big. Plus he ran too upright, further allowing too many direct shots. Not only did he not thrive in the NFL, he wasn't even worthy of being on a roster. Lacy, on the other hand, is more nimble and puts up huge yards after contact #s up. It's not where near as easy to put a direct shot on him, unlike Dayne.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I thought I was the only one here who liked Bernard more than Lacy. To me, getting Bernard would be like adding a Shady McCoy type of dynamic talent to our backfield. Lacy was dominant in the championship game, no doubt, but I think most draftworthy RB's would look awesome behind Warmack/Jones/Fluker/etc. I just don't see that special elite quality in Lacy like I saw in Trent Richardson. I think Lacy could be what Bam Morris might have been on this level (if he didn't screw everything up, of course).
    I'd also take Bernard over Lacy, however either would be an improvement over what we have.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    We need a feature back no doubt but we also need openings for that back, he can't run without the blocks, so maybe this is where Hal Hunter comes into play. Where's the tape when Redman and Dwyer both had 100 yrd. games, and who was starting on that line at the time?
    We didn't hire Hal Hunter....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

All this talk about the RB vs. the OL...just solidifies my thoughts that I would have no issue adding a stud OT if available at 17. If somehow Eric Fisher is there at 17 he has to be the pick. I'm not sure if I would say the same about Warmack. I'm not a fan of the extremely overweight type OL.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    We didn't hire Hal Hunter....
    My bad, I thought we did, oh, its Jack Bicknell Jr.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-30-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lacy is a step better than Bam was, even if Bam wasn't high. Lacy has a much better ability for YACs then did Bam. Look at how many YACs Lacy has, and those have little or nothing to do with his OL. He has a nice combination of quickness, fluidity and power. Bam was more of a straight ahead pounder with little moves. Lacy had a good deal of moves and spins (not overboard spins like Mendenspin).