Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: William Gay talking to steelers but no contract yet

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

William Gay To Visit steelers but no contract yet

William Gay rejoining Steelers
    March 4, 2013 12:14 am
    By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    It appears that cornerback William Gay will be rejoining the Steelers after spending one season with the Arizona Cardinals.

Gay changed his Twitter account information to label himself a "cornerback of the Pittsburgh Steelers." Asked on Twitter by former teammate Ryan Mundy if he was returning, Gay answered, "Yea." He also wrote on Twitter that "I'm glad I didn't' sell my condo in Pittsburgh."

He will be at the Steelers facility on the South Side today.

Jerrold Colton, Gay's agent, said that there is interest in the Steelers but would not say whether Gay has come to contract terms with the team.

With the Steelers possibly set to lose starting cornerback Keenan Lewis as an unrestricted free agent, Gay would give them a veteran presence as a former starter and nickel cornerback. Gay started at left cornerback in 2009, lost his job to Bryant McFadden in 2010 and regained it in 2011.

He signed with Arizona as an unrestricted free agent before the 2012 season, and Lewis took his starting job on the left side.

Gay, 28, was a fifth-round draft pick of the Steelers in 2007.

For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at [url]www.post-gazette.com/plus[/url].
    First Published March 4, 2013 12:00 am

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/william-gay-rejoining-steelers-677820/#ixzz2MZNoowqJ[/url]
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-04-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm sure there will be some speculation and questions if they do succeed in signing Gay, I have a few myself and how it affects our other corners.

1. I still believe they want to sign Lewis regardless if we sign Gay or not.

2. If we sign Lewis and Gay it might affect the other corners on the roster like Demarkus Van Dyke, Josh Victorian, or even Brown.

3. Signing Gay should help our special teams, he was a good special teams player.

4. Basically by signing Gay it gives the Steelers insurance should Lewis sign with another team, add to the depth at corner, and if injury occurs to a starter.

My preference is to sign Lewis and I'm sure he is a priority for the Steelers, adding depth to that position is a good thing so we'll see how this plays out in the coming days or weeks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If he'll sign for vet minimum or slightly more, I'm fine with it. Otherwise, no thanks.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Gay is being considered as a depth player, that is fine, provided it is at or near a veteran minimum deal. He is ok in the slot, and if the Steelers run into a situation where they are decimated by injuries again, he would probably be less of a disaster than Victorian and Brown were last year.

I would hate the idea of bringing back Gay to compensate for the loss of Keenan Lewis. Hopefully, both will return.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gay makes a lot of sense to me long term. Cortez and Keenan on the outside and Gay in the slot is a good long term combo.

We don't have a solid 3rd corner when Ike is done. Gay would give us the flexibility to part ways with Ike this year, next, etc.

And if Victorian eventually beats him out, which I think could eventually happen, then so be it. If Brown was any good, we wouldn't need Gay.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Gay makes a lot of sense to me long term. Cortez and Keenan on the outside and Gay in the slot is a good long term combo.

We don't have a solid 3rd corner when Ike is done. Gay would give us the flexibility to part ways with Ike this year, next, etc.

And if Victorian eventually beats him out, which I think could eventually happen, then so be it. If Brown was any good, we wouldn't need Gay.
    It bothers me that we need Gay. That means that someone is not going to be resigned (e.g. Lewis), let go (Taylor, Brown). No way should he ever, ever start again.
    Cleveland spelled backwards is DNA Level C
    http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...itty29/mjg.jpg
    another AA/AS original.

Legend

User Info Menu

Sounds official now:

Ed Bouchette@EdBouchetteRT Gays agent “[URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/Jerrold_Colton"]@Jerrold_Colton[/URL]: Thrilled that William Gay has signed to return to the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MeetJoeGreene View Post
    It bothers me that we need Gay. That means that someone is not going to be resigned (e.g. Lewis), let go (Taylor, Brown). No way should he ever, ever start again.
    I don't think anyone is considering him a starter, but he does add depth to the position especially if an injury occurs. Think of it as a better insurance policy. Brown hasn't shown much since he's been here maybe he would be the odd man out IF they sign Gay. Victorian is a young dude and could emerge as a quality backup or potencial to be one, it doesn't hurt to have depth at a position that is vital to a defense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If he signs for vet min, it is good signing. Signing cuts or vet min deals doesn't impact your comp picks the following year and you also get a cap credit. These are the bargains the Steelers look for. If they did sign gay & Breaston down the line, their cap hits would be minimal but what they provide on the roster would be maximized. Any coincidence they have been linked to a WR & CB with Wallace & Lewis as URFA? All this does is give their draft board some relief if both Wallace & Lewis leave.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It was posted on NFL.com.