Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Focus ranks Steelers O-line 25th

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pro Football Focus ranks Steelers O-line 25th

25. Pittsburgh Steelers (25)PB – 24th, RB – 30th, PEN – 18th

Stud: The best player on this line is Maurkice Pouncey (+5.4), though that speaks volumes about this line and less about him. He does his job, but unlike a lot of linemen in this league he doesn’t pop out on tape as someone who makes a massive difference.

Dud: It’s nice to have a player who can play a number of positions, but the Steelers faithful must be hoping they don’t see an awful lot more of Doug Legursky (-10.5).

Summary: Try as they might, the Steelers can’t field a line that can pass protect and open up lanes. That’s despite a significant recent investment of early-round draft picks. That said, this line was never about 2012, and hopefully a healthy unit next year will justify the hope.
    I know some don't like PFF, but they are usually pretty spot on. A lot of the NFL teams use their analytics.

I think they pretty much have it right, this line has some potential in the future, but it was still bad this year due to injuries, etc..
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

but legursky is such a beast in the weight room!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

25th but let's run out and draft defensive players. This is why the offense is inconsistent and ineffective and until this is really fixed it will stay that way.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    25th but let's run out and draft defensive players. This is why the offense is inconsistent and ineffective and until this is really fixed it will stay that way.
    we have spent 4 premium picks on the OL in 3 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post

EXACTLY! Time to put up!
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

exactly... we have a bunch of young guys on the OL, coaching and conditioning are the only problems IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

But has it worked? Good intentions don't block the pass rushers or open holes in the defensive line. Until we see any of those players drafted excel as far as I'm concerned the problem isn't fixed. You have to look at this on how it is actually working not what past actions you took to fix it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

But has it worked? Good intentions don't block the pass rushers or open holes in the defensive line. Until we see any of those players drafted excel as far as I'm concerned the problem isn't fixed. You have to look at this on how it is actually working not what past actions you took to fix it.
    Gilbert and Adams only combined for something like 10 games this year. I would like to see Starks retained so that there is depth and competition at OT, but I supsect that the two second round OTs will open the season as starters. DeCastro also missed most of the year and was just getting his feet wet; I think we all anticipate improvement from him next year. Whether Foster, Colon or whoever else, you can get by with an adequate guard if the rest of the o-line is capable.

I'd most certainly rather not see Beachum or Legursky starting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Gilbert and Adams only combined for something like 10 games this year. I would like to see Starks retained so that there is depth and competition at OT, but I supsect that the two second round OTs will open the season as starters. DeCastro also missed most of the year and was just getting his feet wet; I think we all anticipate improvement from him next year. Whether Foster, Colon or whoever else, you can get by with an adequate guard if the rest of the o-line is capable.

I'd most certainly rather not see Beachum or Legursky starting.
    my point exactly. We can't keep throwing 1st round picks at one section of your football team.

these guys have to step up and produce.

Legend

User Info Menu

We don't know if it worked yet, Poncey, Adams, Gilbert and DeCastro haven't been on the field together. Juat because it may not look good now the investment has been made, other needs are going to arise from the defensive purge that is going to take place and there is almost nothing behind the defensive players being released.

Harrison (probably) - Worilds? Carter? (Neither has moved to the forefront)
    Hampton - McClendon (best option maybe, but didn't really sieze the opportunity) Hood (a little light in the britches for NT
    Clark (it appears will be released) - Allen? Golden? (Golden rarely played and Allen has been around)
    Kiesel (maybe) - Heyward, Hood? Neither has exactly elevated their play to their draft position
    Foote (probably) - Spence? Who knows after the injury, hasn't taken a meaningful snap.
    Taylor - This is the one position that seems to be in good hands provided they can keep Lewis. If Taylor and his contract are released and lewis chases bigger money than the Steelers are willing to pay, then cornerback becomes an issue as well.

The carnage isn't going to be pretty on the defensive side of the ball. The offense has had the premium line picks and skill position picks over the past 4 years (Mendenhall and Wallace) and it appears that they will be walking out Pittsburgh as well. This isn't going to be pretty.

Hopefully, with all the purging that the Steelers will at least be able to sign one or two mid-level FAs to fill some holes.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount