Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Focus ranks Steelers O-line 25th

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    So an 8-8 team that just barely missed the playoffs has the 25th ranked OL in the league. This same OL should receive a significant boost next season. They have an incoming guard who is basically coming off of a redshirt year. Two young tackles who were suffering injuries but should come back healthy and ready to compete next year.

Now, I may have been the biggest (or at least one of the biggest) Starks supporters over the years, but I don't see him returning. That is a big minus IMO. I've never been much of a Colon fan so I see his loss as a wash - good run blocker but poor in pass pro and a penalty machine at any position.

When you consider the extra year of rest and experience for Pouncey, Adams, Gilbert, and Decastro, we should see an improvement. I can see an OL being the difference between 8-8 and playoff contender. Remember that the AFC representative almost lost to an injured Leftwich and did lose to a 100 year old Batch this year, so we might not be as far away as we think.
    This is so very true. The Steelers aren't that far from the promised land. Even in the best years, a lot has to go right in order to go deep into the post-season. The added experience for this OL group will only help make the team that much better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am still wondering what the Steelers really gain (how much cap space saved) by cutting Colon. Personally, I'd like to see them retain at least one of those OL between Starks, Foster, and Colon, even if it's just for depth on the roster. I would doubt they bring back Starks (although I wish they would) and Foster may sign elsewhere. If they are wanting to plug in Beachum at LG as they already have announced, then maybe it would be wise to keep Colon for 1 more year. The 2 can compete in camp at LG. Beachum would need some pushing from someone in camp....

Someone on another website mentioned that Andy Levitre from the Bills is a FA and there was some interest there. Can't back it up with a link or anything, but I thought that was interesting news when I read it... Something to ponder, maybe..
    Last edited by pfelix73; 01-30-2013 at 12:04 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The 'premium pick' statement is bogus. Scott Sheilds, Alonzo Jackson, Ricardo Colclough, Limas Sweed....all 'premium picks'. If simply picking a player at a certain draft position made them capable of being good we would be all set. Willie Reid would be taking returns to the house and we never would of signed Clark cause Anthony Smith would be lighting people up.

We have drafted poorly and now need to rectify and solidify our mistakes.
    agreed....(dont forget Troy Edwards... what a premium pick that was)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    agreed....(dont forget Troy Edwards... what a premium pick that was)
    i guess you guys cant see the difference in the word "pick" and the word "player". Higher draft "picks" (rounds 1-2) have always been and always will be considered more valuable and are sometimes called premium picks because of that value. The trade value chart bears this fact out. Premium "players" can come in any round with a little luck and scouting. I honestly thought this was pretty much common knowledge.

and "solidifying our mistakes" doesn't sound to good to my ears either.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

If there is concern about the O-line draft Warmack or Fisher and call it a day.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    I am still wondering what the Steelers really gain (how much cap space saved) by cutting Colon. Personally, I'd like to see them retain at least one of those OL between Starks, Foster, and Colon, even if it's just for depth on the roster. I would doubt they bring back Starks (although I wish they would) and Foster may sign elsewhere. If they are wanting to plug in Beachum at LG as they already have announced, then maybe it would be wise to keep Colon for 1 more year. The 2 can compete in camp at LG. Beachum would need some pushing from someone in camp....

Someone on another website mentioned that Andy Levitre from the Bills is a FA and there was some interest there. Can't back it up with a link or anything, but I thought that was interesting news when I read it... Something to ponder, maybe..
    They no longer fit the bill for what this team's o-line will look like skill wise. Colon, Foster and Starks are mashers. Haley and Bicknell like more athletic players. They no longer fit the scheme or style of players the o-line will take going forward.

Gilbert, Adams, Pouncey, Decastro, and Beachum fit the bill. These are more of the type of o-linemen you will see the Steelers take going forward.

I like Levitre by the way, but he has injury problems.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Well I decided to check some of Profootballfocus stats and to my surprise, the player that is reviled and hated by morons on this site, David Johnson, is actually rated pretty highly by Profootballfocus. Johnson, aka "Whiff" was rated in 2011, the 15th best TE, out of 65 rated TEs. He had an overall grade of 15. Received a grade of 9.0 in run blocking, which was in the top 5. Fan favorite "Will Johnson" received a grade of -.4 in run blocking for 2012, although he received an overall positive grade of 2.0.

So even though, a resident genius declared Gilbert did the Steelers a big favor by blowing out Johnson's knee. That was not borne out by the results of the running game, which declined in effectiveness and also the team record declined to 8-8. Just a coincidence, you say. I don't. If they can get Johnson back in the mix, I think that would also help out the run game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope, with the heat of a thousand suns, that I never see david johnson on the steelers roster ever again.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I hope, with the heat of a thousand suns, that I never see david johnson on the steelers roster ever again.
    No worries Eddie, he's probably gone as Will Johnson got a spot on the roster and made some plays this year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    They no longer fit the bill for what this team's o-line will look like skill wise. Colon, Foster and Starks are mashers. Haley and Bicknell like more athletic players. They no longer fit the scheme or style of players the o-line will take going forward.

Gilbert, Adams, Pouncey, Decastro, and Beachum fit the bill. These are more of the type of o-linemen you will see the Steelers take going forward.

I like Levitre by the way, but he has injury problems.

Disagree with you. Anyone can zone block. It's easy. I feel like I am writing this from 3-4 years ago. You are taught this in jr high. Every team can run zone or man. And they do on every given friday, saturday, or sunday depending on what level you are playing on.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion