Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Focus ranks Steelers O-line 25th

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't understand what used bicycles have to do with anything.

1st and 2nd round picks are premium picks and are obviously more valuable than a 6th or a 7th rounder. I find it ludicrous that anyone would argue that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I don't understand what used bicycles have to do with anything.

1st and 2nd round picks are premium picks and are obviously more valuable than a 6th or a 7th rounder. I find it ludicrous that anyone would argue that.
    the issue isn't the pick, but the players taken.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Did the rank consider we lost Colon, Decastro, Adams, Gilbert to injuries? An O-line needs continuity replacing players every week is tough on any team but we had our share of bad luck.
    If anyone remembers as bad as this O-line is made out to be Ben was having his best year ever before his injury, the Steelers were leading in third down percentages and TOP, then the injuries mounted. This line was playing decent before the injuries, and Ben wasn't on the ground as much as the past.

I would like to see how other teams O-line would rank with third stringers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    But has it worked? Good intentions don't block the pass rushers or open holes in the defensive line. Until we see any of those players drafted excel as far as I'm concerned the problem isn't fixed. You have to look at this on how it is actually working not what past actions you took to fix it.
    We don't know if it worked yet, Poncey, Adams, Gilbert and DeCastro haven't been on the field together. Juat because it may not look good now the investment has been made, other needs are going to arise from the defensive purge that is going to take place and there is almost nothing behind the defensive players being released.

Harrison (probably) - Worilds? Carter? (Neither has moved to the forefront)
    Hampton - McClendon (best option maybe, but didn't really sieze the opportunity) Hood (a little light in the britches for NT
    Clark (it appears will be released) - Allen? Golden? (Golden rarely played and Allen has been around)
    Kiesel (maybe) - Heyward, Hood? Neither has exactly elevated their play to their draft position
    Foote (probably) - Spence? Who knows after the injury, hasn't taken a meaningful snap.
    Taylor - This is the one position that seems to be in good hands provided they can keep Lewis. If Taylor and his contract are released and lewis chases bigger money than the Steelers are willing to pay, then cornerback becomes an issue as well.

The carnage isn't going to be pretty on the defensive side of the ball. The offense has had the premium line picks and skill position picks over the past 4 years (Mendenhall and Wallace) and it appears that they will be walking out Pittsburgh as well. This isn't going to be pretty.

Hopefully, with all the purging that the Steelers will at least be able to sign one or two mid-level FAs to fill some holes.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The carnage isn't going to be pretty on the defensive side of the ball. The offense has had the premium line picks and skill position picks over the past 4 years (Mendenhall and Wallace) and it appears that they will be walking out Pittsburgh as well. This isn't going to be pretty.

Hopefully, with all the purging that the Steelers will at least be able to sign one or two mid-level FAs to fill some holes.

Pappy
    But you have a "genius" in charge on the defensive side of the ball. Let's see how his "genius" works when he isn't playing with a stacked deck of talent and financial investment.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

But you have a "genius" in charge on the defensive side of the ball. Let's see how his "genius" works when he isn't playing with a stacked deck of talent and financial investment.
    So, what did LeBeau ever do to you?

I mean, you may disagree with his defensive philosophy...that is your right...

But, the immature sniping on this and other threads is really beneath you...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    So, what did LeBeau ever do to you?

I mean, you may disagree with his defensive philosophy...that is your right...

But, the immature sniping on this and other threads is really beneath you...
    As opposed to "mature sniping" that we typically see or have seen on this board against Tomlin, Haley, Arians, etc. I admitedly at times make extreme statements to solicit the guaranteed rush to defend anything about LeBeau but he isn't beyond criticism.

Let's face it, he has been given the lipon's share of the financial investment in player retention the past 5 to 6 years and he has been fortunate to have had the stars come together with exceptional talent. As that talent has left elements of his strategies have been exposed over the course of several seasons now. Other can manufacture blame on other but he is the guy responsible for a defense that cannot create turnovers, cannot sack the QB and cannot intercept passes---all things our defenses use to be able to do.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

so an OL thread has degenerated in a lebeau bashing session from ovi.

shocker.

Rookie

User Info Menu

As opposed to "mature sniping" that we typically see or have seen on this board against Tomlin, Haley, Arians, etc. I admitedly at times make extreme statements to solicit the guaranteed rush to defend anything about LeBeau but he isn't beyond criticism.

Let's face it, he has been given the lipon's share of the financial investment in player retention the past 5 to 6 years and he has been fortunate to have had the stars come together with exceptional talent. As that talent has left elements of his strategies have been exposed over the course of several seasons now. Other can manufacture blame on other but he is the guy responsible for a defense that cannot create turnovers, cannot sack the QB and cannot intercept passes---all things our defenses use to be able to do.
    Well, I just have higher expectations for you than others, I guess...

A defensive coordinator can't "plan" to create turnovers...having that as a defensive philisophy is a recipe for disaster...what if the other team doesn't cooperate and turn the ball over?

I can't fault LeBeau when the star players that you call out aren't on the field and healthy enough to contribute...how is that LeBeau's fault, anyway?

LeBeau's scheme is sound. The fact that the Steelers finished so well satistically and on scoring defense bears that out...

The fact that the "splash plays", like sacks and turnovers, were lacking isn't a scheme thing...it's an unhealthy talent thing...

Schemes help to prevent yards and points...players have to make the splash plays...

Legend

User Info Menu

So an 8-8 team that just barely missed the playoffs has the 25th ranked OL in the league. This same OL should receive a significant boost next season. They have an incoming guard who is basically coming off of a redshirt year. Two young tackles who were suffering injuries but should come back healthy and ready to compete next year.

Now, I may have been the biggest (or at least one of the biggest) Starks supporters over the years, but I don't see him returning. That is a big minus IMO. I've never been much of a Colon fan so I see his loss as a wash - good run blocker but poor in pass pro and a penalty machine at any position.

When you consider the extra year of rest and experience for Pouncey, Adams, Gilbert, and Decastro, we should see an improvement. I can see an OL being the difference between 8-8 and playoff contender. Remember that the AFC representative almost lost to an injured Leftwich and did lose to a 100 year old Batch this year, so we might not be as far away as we think.