Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casey Hampton done as a Steeler

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

There is a chance that he could be back for 1 more year. I heard that 1. he wants to keep playing since he had a good year, and 2. He loves Pittsburgh and doesn't want to move. Could it be that he takes the league minimum to play for 1 more year?
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    There is a chance that he could be back for 1 more year. I heard that 1. he wants to keep playing since he had a good year, and 2. He loves Pittsburgh and doesn't want to move. Could it be that he takes the league minimum to play for 1 more year?
    If the Steelers don't get a new NT through the draft, Chadman would be happy to see Hampton back for that sort of deal.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we get a link? A source?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Casey is the best 3-4 NT of his generation, and will be missed.

Nobody on the current roster is of Hampton's class at his peak. Not even close.
    Vince Wilfork was better.
    I'm glad to see it TBH. I liked Hampton back in '05, '08... but as time slowly went on, it was clear that he was no longer the player he thought he was. These past two years, the only reason he continued to start/play for us is because he was a known commodity (i.e. he knew the scheme). I think young blood like McLendon, while probably not as dependable, would've injected an aspect of energy that would've been a bigger help.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I'm glad to see it TBH. I liked Hampton back in '05, '08... but as time slowly went on, it was clear that he was no longer the player he thought he was. These past two years, the only reason he continued to start/play for us is because he was a known commodity (i.e. he knew the scheme). I think young blood like McLendon, while probably not as dependable, would've injected an aspect of energy that would've been a bigger help.
    I think Hampton played this year over McClendon because McClendon had problems against the run. He's is absolutely not the player he used to be, but he is still strong against the run.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Can we get a link? A source?
    Sorry- heard it with my own 2 ears-lol. 93.7 The Fan. Day after last Cleve game....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

3 years too late

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Thank you Mr. Hampton for your years of service to the Steelers organization. Your efforts and contributions were and will always be appreciated. Saying all of that, it is time for the Steelers to move towards their future at the position, whether that be with McClendon or someone else. I think Steve could be really good as the starting NT but he will be a different style of player. He could give the team a better push in the pass rush but will not be as good against the run. That's why I think drafting an ILB early is important as they may be able to make up for some of that loss with a thumper like Minter or a ppremium athlete like Ogletree. Unless they plan on targeting a guy like John Jenkins in round 2.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6946&dateline=1338146203 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1338146203</a>

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

With an over-aged-over the cap 8-8 team...I would say anyone with the arrow pointing down should be a little nervous.

As far as Hampton, his play has declined to where he is not "signficant". There really is no reason to bring him back.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    ...last year...

But, overall, I think Hampton had the better career...