Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casey Hampton done as a Steeler

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Casey Hampton done as a Steeler

I just heard it's official. Not that it would surprise any of us. But have not seen any news on it myself.

If so - and I'm sure it is - good luck Casey; you were a great Steeler. Never complained, was barely ever hurt, came up big when he was most-needed. From all accounts, he was a great guy and teammate. I remember Casey being our first round pick out of TX the first year I moved out of PA. Great draft pick; we can only hope the other first round DL picks pan out like this.

Kudos Casey. Have a great rest of your life as you move on to your "life's work."

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I just heard it's official. Not that it would surprise any of us. But have not seen any news on it myself.

If so - and I'm sure it is - good luck Casey; you were a great Steeler. Never complained, was barely ever hurt, came up big when he was most-needed. From all accounts, he was a great guy and teammate. I remember Casey being our first round pick out of TX the first year I moved out of PA. Great draft pick; we can only hope the other first round DL picks pan out like this.

Kudos Casey. Have a great rest of your life as you move on to your "life's work."
    This is not news. Nothing can be official until the new league year starts in early March. Who really thought he was going to be back after they signed Fangupo?
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

It was time.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Definitely news if this is true... I don't care if we drafted 4 NT's. Casey was a stud and had a great career as a Steeler.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Definitely news if this is true... I don't care if we drafted 4 NT's. Casey was a stud and had a great career as a Steeler.
    Agreed. How often is a huge man, NT, that reliable for that length of time? Now maybe Dick can possibly move on a little bit from his current "DLmen do nothing but consumer bodies" philosophy. Naaaa, who am I kidding? That's not going to happen. They will just keep pointing to their "high D rating" (based on yards, but not really a game-winning D) and tell us how everything is perfect on our D.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Absolutely. He was a big part of the Steelers generally successful run over the last decade.

For what it's worth, the source is Dulac's article that also talked about moving Ziggy Hood to the nose. Profootballtalk then turned that article into the story on Hampton:

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-the-d-line-672199/[/URL]

Here is the pertinent language:
    The Steelers likely will lose the anchor of their defensive line -- five-time Pro Bowl nose tackle Casey Hampton, who is not expected to be re-signed despite starting all 16 games in 2012. He will be the second piece of what defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has called "the best defensive line I've ever coached" to depart in as many years, joining Smith.

Read more: [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-the-d-line-672199/#ixzz2JJIBWr00[/URL]
    Seems more speculative than concrete.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Absolutely. He was a big part of the Steelers generally successful run over the last decade.

For what it's worth, the source is Dulac's article that also talked about moving Ziggy Hood to the nose. Profootballtalk then turned that article into the story on Hampton:

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-sunday-spotlight-the-d-line-672199/[/URL]

Here is the pertinent language:

Seems more speculative than concrete.
    Perhaps, but I think it's safe to say that Casey is done.

Legend

User Info Menu

Casey is the best 3-4 NT of his generation, and will be missed.

Nobody on the current roster is of Hampton's class at his peak. Not even close.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I just heard it's official.
    This is not "official" in any way shape or form. Off-season speculation does not make anything official. You have absolutely ZERO clue whether Hampton will be back at this point. Neither do I or anybody else for that matter.

How about posting a source when you make an "official" claim.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with Chadman, Casey was a main stay at NT, he will be missed.