Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Our Defensive Line Could See a Tweak

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The running game rearely beats you in the NFL today. The passing game is much more dangerous which is why you need to optimize your DL to attack the passer not stop runners.
    And yet both of the teams in the SB have strong running games. The death of the running game has been greatly exaggerated. With the exception of the Packers and Colts, every team in the playoffs this year had a strong running game.

If you cannot stop the run and have to bring extra guys into the box, you can get torched with the pass.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I don't think Ziggy Hood has the anchor to play NT. There were a few games this year where opponents opened by running to the offensive right, and Ziggy was getting blown off the ball.

I would like to see McClendon get more opportunities at both NT and DE, but he had his own problems against the run.
    Agreed, it's fitting a square peg into a round hole. It's done to validate a flop of a first round pick.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelmann58 View Post
    mclendon does get a hugh push and i think Hood being one of the strongest steelers it might work .
    Hood doesn't play strong...actually looked like he took a step back last year. He doesn't play with leverage...doesn't play big or strong.
    Trolls are people too.

Rookie

User Info Menu

And yet both of the teams in the SB have strong running games. The death of the running game has been greatly exaggerated. With the exception of the Packers and Colts, every team in the playoffs this year had a strong running game.

If you cannot stop the run and have to bring extra guys into the box, you can get torched with the pass.
    How did the 49ers beat the Packers again?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    How did the 49ers beat the Packers again?
    You need to be able to throw the ball and play defense as well, but you cannot ignore the running game on either side of the ball.

Rookie

User Info Menu

You need to be able to throw the ball and play defense as well, but you cannot ignore the running game on either side of the ball.
    I was agreeing with you, philly!!

The Packers completely lost their contain responsibilities on Colin Kaepernick, allowing him to run for 160 yards and two rushing TDs...and, introducing the world to the "phenomenon" of "Kaepernicking"...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Statistically this was Hood's best season. People try to prop up Heyward a lot a put down Hood, but Heyward is not a special player, neither is Hood a bust. Hood is strong enough to play NT. I think they should at least give that option a good look.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

NT HOOD/ FANGUPO a possibility

DE KEISEL/ HEYWARD I don't think the Steelers would release their best D-lineman Keisel stays.

DE MCLENDON/ WOODS MCLENDON better suited to play DE, IMHO

Note:
    The Steelers were considering moving HOOD last season to compete with Mclendon, then Hampton accepted a cut in pay so that shelved that idea then, but it could surface again.

Legend

User Info Menu

Moving Hood to NT will only work if we go to playing one-gap not two gap. Let Hood be aggressive and shoot the gaps and it will work. Just having him stand there and absorb blockers won't.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    The running game rearely beats you in the NFL today. The passing game is much more dangerous which is why you need to optimize your DL to attack the passer not stop runners.
    I tend to disagree. I know it's a "passing league" but on defense you can't neglect the rush defense in favor of the pass or the other way around. The same goes for the offensive side of the ball.

The easiest way to lose a game in the NFL is the inability to stop the run. If you can't, a team will just continue to run the ball right down your throat. In the process of doing that, they are controlling the time of possession and they are resting their defense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.