Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Our Defensive Line Could See a Tweak

Administrator

User Info Menu

I like the idea of keeping everyone where they currently are.

I would let Fangupo, Mclendon, and Ta'mu fight out the NT spot. I would rotate the other players.

Depending on the starting NT, I would also consider rotating Mclendon at DE and more frequently rotating Heyward in.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I was agreeing with you, philly!!

The Packers completely lost their contain responsibilities on Colin Kaepernick, allowing him to run for 160 yards and two rushing TDs...and, introducing the world to the "phenomenon" of "Kaepernicking"...
    This is what happens my I post too quickly

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Moving Hood to NT will only work if we go to playing one-gap not two gap. Let Hood be aggressive and shoot the gaps and it will work. Just having him stand there and absorb blockers won't.
    Ziggy Hood is not the type of player that you rearrange your defense for.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Ziggy Hood is not the type of player that you rearrange your defense for.

Other than Kiesel which of our D-Linemen has the two gap approach worked for? It doesn't seem like McLendon, Hood or Heyward who all represent the future have thrived in that system. You change to fit the talent not pound the talent into the system. We need more pressure on the QB and the one-gap is much better at that than two-gap.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Other than Kiesel which of our D-Linemen has the two gap approach worked for? It doesn't seem like McLendon, Hood or Heyward who all represent the future have thrived in that system. You change to fit the talent not pound the talent into the system. We need more pressure on the QB and the one-gap is much better at that than two-gap.
    The jury is still out on whether either system with work for Heyward. McClendon is likely more suited to a one-gap system, but so was Hoke, and he played fine for a decade in the Steelers current system.

The one-gap system may be better at allowing the defensive lineman to generate pressure, but the Steelers have led the league in sacks with the current system. The guys who are paid to be studs - the linebackers - need to win their one-on-one matchups.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The jury is still out on whether either system with work for Heyward. McClendon is likely more suited to a one-gap system, but so was Hoke, and he played fine for a decade in the Steelers current system.

The one-gap system may be better at allowing the defensive lineman to generate pressure, but the Steelers have led the league in sacks with the current system. The guys who are paid to be studs - the linebackers - need to win their one-on-one matchups.
    Our so-called "stud" LBs arer either over the hill (Harriosn) or always hurt or both. When you don't have those "studs" anymore it is incumbant to adjust to play to the strengths of what you do have not to try to force something that isn't working. That is LeBeau's failure.

I think three straight years of decreasing sack totals mught cause any rational person to consider making changes to fix a troubling trend. But not Coach Lebeau, it is his way or the highway and he won't consider anything might work that he didn't invent.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Our so-called "stud" LBs arer either over the hill (Harriosn) or always hurt or both. When you don't have those "studs" anymore it is incumbant to adjust to play to the strengths of what you do have not to try to force something that isn't working. That is LeBeau's failure.

I think three straight years of decreasing sack totals mught cause any rational person to consider making changes to fix a troubling trend. But not Coach Lebeau, it is his way or the highway and he won't consider anything might work that he didn't invent.
    I don't understand why you say LeBeau never adjusts and it's his way or the highway. His players are always quoted as saying he constantly makes changes to the defense in an effort to improve a weakness.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think with Hood at the nose he has the ability to be pretty solid. It's possible he was too concerned with trying to get to the QB at end where as at the nose he's going to be trying to get to the QB but he's also going to be able to use more of his brute strength in the middle because he's not going to be on the edge dealing with a more "agile" lineman. I also don't think this spells the end for Ta'amu. He's still very young and raw and is going to need time to develop, just as most defenders need in our "exotic" defensive scheme.

Legend

User Info Menu

Still going to suggest that a DL rotation is possibly the best way to work- but different guys on for different roles. Doesn't make them any less valuable- but it makes the guys that didn't get much gametime (McLendon, Ta'amu, Heyward etc) probably more valuable, without adding excessive amounts of pressure on them. Chadman see's no problem with a DL of Fangupo, Ta'amu & McLendon to defend a team that is getting some momentum with the running game, or a DL of Keisel, Hood & Heyward if the opposition is becoming pass heavy.

If they could somehow add Kawaan Short in the draft...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Rookie

User Info Menu

On BTSC, there was a decent write up about switching McClendon and Hood...

Basically, putting Hood in a phone booth instead of putting him on the edge allows him to use his strength without having to move around so much...creating a top to the pocket and not allowing the QB to step up...

On the other hand, putting McClendon on the edge allows him to move and penetrate, forcing the opponent to double team him and closing off running lanes...

It all sounds very reasonable, though written by someone who is not a professional coach...