Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Our Defensive Line Could See a Tweak

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I don't understand why you say LeBeau never adjusts and it's his way or the highway. His players are always quoted as saying he constantly makes changes to the defense in an effort to improve a weakness.
    Correct. A great example is that he has played more tight man coverage at times since he has had the DBs to allow him to do so.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

All I have to say is we are fortunate to have a DC in LeBeau, even with the problems with our front seven he was able to maintain a top tier defense. Also, Carnell Lake is doing a great job with our secondary.
    The main issues we have is with our offense, and I'm not blaming Haley, its the players who have to step up.
    In this league now, you must be able to score enough points something the Ravens were able to do, averaging 21 a game like we did won't cut it.

If we are able to aquire a feature back in the draft or FA, get a healthy O-line & healthy Ben, improved receiver output we can improve as an offense. We'll need another TE as well, but the bottom line if you struggle to score points most likely you won't be able to play in the post season.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Still going to suggest that a DL rotation is possibly the best way to work- but different guys on for different roles. Doesn't make them any less valuable- but it makes the guys that didn't get much gametime (McLendon, Ta'amu, Heyward etc) probably more valuable, without adding excessive amounts of pressure on them. Chadman see's no problem with a DL of Fangupo, Ta'amu & McLendon to defend a team that is getting some momentum with the running game, or a DL of Keisel, Hood & Heyward if the opposition is becoming pass heavy.

If they could somehow add Kawaan Short in the draft...
    I understand what you are saying about rotating the linemen but what happens if a team is gouging us with the run and we counter with a DL of Fangupo, Ta'amu & McLendon then the opposition goes to the hurry-up and we are stuck with those guys on the field trying to rush the passer? That happened to us many times this year with Hampton being caught on the field and it looked like we were playing a man down. Casey was constantly just trying to catch his breath.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I understand what you are saying about rotating the linemen but what happens if a team is gouging us with the run and we counter with a DL of Fangupo, Ta'amu & McLendon then the opposition goes to the hurry-up and we are stuck with those guys on the field trying to rush the passer? That happened to us many times this year with Hampton being caught on the field and it looked like we were playing a man down. Casey was constantly just trying to catch his breath.
    Good point. But what if in the hurry up offense, a team uses the run 80% of the time, and the Steelers are not using a DL rotation. Say McLendon is starting at NT, and can't stop the run. Then what?

It's hard to defend a hurry up offense at any time- personell on the field will ALWAYS be an issue in that case.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Given a choice which 3 Steelers would you prefer to start on our D-line?

1. Heyward & Hood DE's Mclendon NT / Ta'amu

2. Keisel & Mclendon DE's Ta'amu NT / fangupo

3. Hood & Keisel DE's Mclendon NT/fangupo

4. Heyward & Keisel DE'S Mclendon/Hood alternate at NT / Ta'amu fangupo

Just Curious.

Rookie

User Info Menu

My opinion (for next year):

NT - Hood - Backups - Ta'amu, Fangupo

SDE - Heyward - Backup: Woods

WDE - Keisel - Backup: McClendon

I would also rotate a bit more liberally than has been traditional...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    My opinion (for next year):

NT - Hood - Backups - Ta'amu, Fangupo

SDE - Heyward - Backup: Woods

WDE - Keisel - Backup: McClendon

I would also rotate a bit more liberally than has been traditional...

JMO, but I think Ta'amu is probably the best suited to play NT, he was drafted for that purpose. I'm thinking the Steelers want to see if he can overcome his legal issues first, that's why they kept him.
    Fangupo was added for insurance in case things didn't work out for Ta'amu and for depth as a backup.

If Ta'amu is successful in his legal matters, most likely they will have him compete with Mclendon for the starting position, however if he isn't enter Hood. They considered it before and might do it again asking Hood to switch to NT or compete for the position.

Hood is reported to be one of the strongest players on the roster, if he could only transfer that to the field, maybe @ NT would be a better fit. I'm not sure the Steelers consider Mclendon to be the next NT for years. IMO better suited for DE or backup to both positions.

I believe they did rotate Casey and mclendon this season, bringing Mclendon in on passing downs, they probably will rotate that position again this coming season regardless of who starts.
    Getting our D-line squared away will be a big help maintaing a top ten defense even with the departure of some of out current players. Signing Lewis will be huge and getting a solid season from Worlids in replace of Harrison also be a big help.

Right now I'm more conserned with our offense, we need three positions filled, TE,RB, and receiver. We don't know how long it will take Heath to recover, as it is now Pauson would be our Starter at TE. We still need a TE to groom for Miller even if he comes back and for sure we have to hit it right on who we select at RB.

Rookie

User Info Menu

McClendon only played about 8 snaps per game, on average...

Hood played hiss entire career inside until he came to the Steelers and became a 5 technique DE...the poorness of his play is dramatically overblown on this board...I think Hood can perform better in the proverbial "phone booth" instead of the edge...