Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What He Said

Legend

User Info Menu

What He Said

The Bus: One heck of a fall guyHow was Jerome Bettis able to play at a Hall of Fame level for 13 years weighing 250 to 265 pounds when nearly every other back over 240 pounds was a flash in the pan?
    "There are two keys in the NFL for running backs," said Bettis, pictured at right. "You have to have the ability to make somebody miss. I don't care if you're 150 pounds or 250 pounds. If you can't make a guy miss, then you're not going to have a long career in the NFL because there's going to be situations where you have to make somebody miss in the hole, or something happens really fast where there's a guy in your face, if you don't have quick feet. If you don't have the ability to be elusive enough where you can make a guy miss in a small area, then you're not going to be effective.
    "I was blessed with quick feet; I wasn't fast but I was quick.
    "The second thing you have to understand: You have to know how to fall. Just do the math. If you carry the ball 25 times, 9 [games] out of 10, you're going to be on the ground 25 times. So you have to know how, with the football in your arm, how to fall, how to not break ribs, how to not separate your shoulder, how to be good going to the ground and not separating or hurting your elbow or breaking your wrist or something.

Read more: [URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/on-the-steelers-the-evidence-of-things-not-seen-672127/#ixzz2JCCc5U00[/URL]
    Biggest beef with the current crop of RBs the Steelers have, none seem to have the feet to make the somebody miss a tackle. It seems the first guy on the RB is the guy that makes the tackle, whether behind the LOS or 5 yds down field.
    My understanding is that there are no marquee RBs to be had in this year's draft, but maybe they can grab a hidden gem somewhere.

Legend

User Info Menu

Agree with this. That's what was missing with Rainey IMO, he was a fast track guy, but he wasn't quick and lacked balance and agility. Redman is what he is, he's big and runs North-South. Dwyer is content to let defenders bounce off of him. Mendy spun alot but never seemed to get moving, especially considering the state of the offensive line. The former great play of past OL's probably extended Bettis' career as well. The Steelers will be looking for another back this season, perhaps free-agency or the draft. I like what I saw out of Lacy in the BCS game. He had moves, he had power and he could take it to the house when he got out in the open.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bettis was a gem of a player and person. We are so lucky to have signed him to the team. Franco too in my opinion was a smart player and knew that taking a beating wasn't good for him or for the team and especially in retirement. These guys if lucky get to play into their early or mid 30's and they have a lot of life after football, why go though life as a banged up unhealthy person. I never faulted Franco for not wanting the extra contact. Franco would put his head down when needed so it wasn't like he would put himself before the team.

I used to say back when Bettis played, you never see him steamroll over guys or go for the contact when you know he could demolish those in his way. I never understood why hewasn't more of a bruiser and now I know. I realize Bettis has smashed guys into pulp when he had to or there was no other way for him to get his yards but, I figured him to be more on the lines of an Earl Campbelll type because Bettis had the tools to be an Earl Campbell. So it just goes to prove Bettis, knows exactly how to play the sport and have longevity too.

Thanks Northcoast for your post. I like reading articles like these.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I used to say back when Bettis played, you never see him steamroll over guys or go for the contact when you know he could demolish those in his way. I never understood why hewasn't more of a bruiser and now I know.
    That's true enough - but I will never forget his last game against chicago (was at Heinz with my daughter in the snow) when he literally pasted Urlacher and drove over him for a touchdown. That may have been the greatest run of his career.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yeah, Bettis was a bulldozer in that run against Urlacher, one I'll never forget.

Bettis was great at the goal line too scoring 9 td's his last year and 13 the prior year. He didn't have as many carries his last two seasons but he did more with the carries he got.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    Agree with this. That's what was missing with Rainey IMO, he was a fast track guy, but he wasn't quick and lacked balance and agility. Redman is what he is, he's big and runs North-South. Dwyer is content to let defenders bounce off of him. Mendy spun alot but never seemed to get moving, especially considering the state of the offensive line. The former great play of past OL's probably extended Bettis' career as well. The Steelers will be looking for another back this season, perhaps free-agency or the draft. I like what I saw out of Lacy in the BCS game. He had moves, he had power and he could take it to the house when he got out in the open.
    Our OL was better than now, but I think Bettis made even that OL look better than they were. Bettis made holes when the OL couldn't.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Yeah, Bettis was a bulldozer in that run against Urlacher, one I'll never forget.

Bettis was great at the goal line too scoring 9 td's his last year and 13 the prior year. He didn't have as many carries his last two seasons but he did more with the carries he got.

god, remember at one point he had that stat - 4 carries for 2 yards and 3 td's?????
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm so glad to hear him say this. cuz some people just amaze me how absent minded they became taking a fall.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm glad to hear him be a regular guy and not talk smack. Guys such as Ray Lewis or Fat Sapps would beat their chest and claim they are superior or what have you. Bettis stated something that wasn't hero talk or sexy, he just told the truth and I hope guys learn from him.

I will also never forget Bettis putting the smack down on Urlacher and I won't forget his rookie season as a Ram when he toasted our Steeler defense. I was thinking to myself when he was running our guys over, " wow, our defense isn't as good as I thought they were and I wish we had Bettis on our team. " I wonder why the Rams let Bettis go ?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I'm glad to hear him be a regular guy and not talk smack. Guys such as Ray Lewis or Fat Sapps would beat their chest and claim they are superior or what have you. Bettis stated something that wasn't hero talk or sexy, he just told the truth and I hope guys learn from him.

I will also never forget Bettis putting the smack down on Urlacher and I won't forget his rookie season as a Ram when he toasted our Steeler defense. I was thinking to myself when he was running our guys over, " wow, our defense isn't as good as I thought they were and I wish we had Bettis on our team. " I wonder why the Rams let Bettis go ?
    IIRC, there was a turnover at the Offensive Coordinator position...Bettis' rookie year, Ernie Zampese was the OC for Chuck Knox in LA...Zampese went to Dallas, IIRC, and Bettis didn't fit the new OC's philosophy...