Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Something to think about in regards to this years draft...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Originally Posted by Dee Dub [URL="http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=546749#post546749"][/URL]
    The Steelers very well could have a boat load of draft picks next year (2014). With possible losses in free agency of Starks, Wallace, Foster, Lewis, Foote, and Mendenhall, this could net a very descent return in compensatory picks. Lewis, Wallace, and Starks could even bring back a relatively high one. With the possibility of having 9-12 picks next year, the Steelers could very easily trade away a second or third rounder next year if they wanted to move up and draft a player like Eric Fisher or even Chance Warmack.
    Hopefully they see a guy they have ranked so highly they can't help but go and get.

Big Rob said: Otherwise I prefer them to do the opposite. Trade back and get a crap load of extra picks this year. There is no clear cut top of the draft, but it is very deep. I would love to see them move back once or twice and get a bunch of extra picks.

Then use those picks this year and in next years draft to get young in a hurry again.

---I also would prefer the trade down idea this year. But the reality is if there is any trading it would be up. Every year a number of mocks suggest the trade down idea and they usually are very good, but someone will post that TS [the Steelers] have never traded their 1st rd pick down.[some later rd picks yes but not a 1st rd pick]Not sure if that is true or not but i do believe it.

Also a bit surprised Dee Dub came up with Mock 3.0 prior to todays Senior Bowl game. I kind of liked the positions drafted in 2.0 OLB, WR, SS/FS.[in any order] I don't do mocks but I was thinking that it would okay to somehow come up with prior to the 3rd rd. 3 players as alternates to Terrance Williams, Ezekiel Ansah and Rambo. They were Markus Wheaton, Alex Okafor, and Eric Reid. That was just in case the other 3 were drafted just ahead of when the Steelers picked. A trade down might not be needed but a trade up in rd 2 might be. What does anyone think of those players. They are all ranked in the 40-50 range except Okafor who is once in a while in the top 25.[but not always]

btw: Had TS taken Bobby Wagner as Big Rob suggested last season as the alternate if Hightower was gone then this years draft would be a little simpler.

I just don't see TS letting Starks go.
    Think about this. The Steelers with compensatory picks are probably going to have 18-20 picks between now and next years draft. Trading down to add more picks is going to be a waste of some of those picks. No way do 20 plus draftees make the roster. It just doesn't happen.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Every year a number of mocks suggest the trade down idea and they usually are very good, but someone will post that TS [the Steelers] have never traded their 1st rd pick down.[some later rd picks yes but not a 1st rd pick]Not sure if that is true or not but i do believe it.
    In 2001, the Pittsburgh Steelers traded their first-round selection (16th overall, used to select Santana Moss) to the New York Jets for their first-round selection (19th overall, used to select Casey Hampton), their fourth-round selection (111th overall, used to select Mathias Nkwenti) and their sixth-round selection (181st overall, used to select Rodney Bailey).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    In 2001, the Pittsburgh Steelers traded their first-round selection (16th overall, used to select Santana Moss) to the New York Jets for their first-round selection (19th overall, used to select Casey Hampton), their fourth-round selection (111th overall, used to select Mathias Nkwenti) and their sixth-round selection (181st overall, used to select Rodney Bailey).
    Thought so! Now that you mention it someone always recalls that Hampton move. Same thing happened last year. Someone remembers it I don't. Ty for the reminder. It shows there is a precedent.

That was early Colbert. In 2000 he got Burress, then in 2001 Hampton and Kendrell Bell in rd 2. He added Jeff Hartings as a FA in 2001 and Farrior in 2002. These great players to go along with the rest of a decent draft led to a nice decade.

Something similar is needed now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I dont think Fisher will go in the top 8. Teams are going to reach for QB's. They do it every year. Fisher I think is there at pick 12. And trading a second rounder next year with our #17 this year gets you there. And this is using the formula that the Steelers have the #64 overall pick next year. Meaning they win the Super Bowl next year. How many opposing team are thinking right now the Steelers win next years super bowl? Therefore the value of that pick may be even greater in their minds and possibly moves us up to 11 or 10.

#17 overall is a trade value of 950 points.
    #64 overall is a trade value of 270 points
    ------------------------------------------
    1220 points is between pick number 11 and pick number 12 overall.

We can get Eric Fisher without mortgaging the farm. And I also think we can still get Kevin Minter as well.

#48 overall is a trade value of 430 points
    #79 (this years 3rd) is a trade value of 195 points
    -------------------------------------------------
    625 points gets you into the back end of round one

And who knows?..maybe it wont even take that much. Minter may actually be there early second round (picks 33-3
    If it actually worked out, Hooray! Unfortunately I don't think your right about Fisher.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    If it actually worked out, Hooray! Unfortunately I don't think your right about Fisher.
    At least 2 QB's are going top ten and maybe 3. Whether they deserve it or not is regardless. Just the way it is. Look at this. 5 out 6 so-called experts are projecting Eric Fisher to go 11th overall to San Diego. Well within range to move up and get.

[URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1497615-2013-nfl-mock-draft-what-are-the-experts-projecting-in-the-first-round/page/12[/URL]

Mel Kiper Jr.: Eric Fisher, Offensive Tackle, Central Michigan
    Rob Rang: Eric Fisher, Offensive Tackle, Central Michigan
    Matt Miller: Eric Fisher, Offensive Tackle, Central Michigan
    Walter Football: Eric Fisher, Offensive Tackle, Central Michigan
    Drafttek: Johnthan Banks, Cornerback, Mississippi State
    My Mock: Eric Fisher, Offensive Tackle, Central Michigan
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Starter

User Info Menu

Keyplay1 said: I was thinking that it would okay to somehow come up with prior to the 3rd rd. 3 players as alternates to Terrance Williams, Ezekiel Ansah and Rambo. They were Markus Wheaton, Alex Okafor, and Eric Reid. That was just in case the other 3 were drafted just ahead of when the Steelers picked.

I just noticed. Eddy Lacy was missing. Uhh! No way that can happen. Last week all the threads were focused on how to get Lacy. No argument from me on that.

There was a story in yesterdays Trib that suggested Mendenhall was not finished as a Steeler. I did not believe it. TS are going to need a #1 back. However, it would be nice to see him running behind some different OL than he has. Are there any more of these college post season games left where some of these juniors coming out can be seen?