Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Larry foote stays or goes?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    We need to quit hanging onto these players until all four wheels fall off. When the first wheel gets wobbly we need to get rid of them. Get young players out on the field and see what they can do so we can make informed decisions about whether they are part of the solution or the problem and make informed personnel decisions going forward.

Long way to say good bye Larry
    I get what your saying Ovi, but after Foote, there isn't a ILB that even has a wheel on our roster. Spence may not come back and even if he did not enough experience. Sylvester is the next man up after foote but he hasn't shown much and often injured.
    Foote may not have the skills he once had but he offers stability and could help groom his replacement.

Gone? Nope, he'll be here and it won't cost us too much.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I get what your saying Ovi, but after Foote, there isn't a ILB that even has a wheel on our roster. Spence may not come back and even if he did not enough experience. Sylvester is the next man up after foote but he hasn't shown much and often injured.
    Foote may not have the skills he once had but he offers stability and could help groom his replacement.

Gone? Nope, he'll be here and it won't cost us too much.
    Exactly - in theory, it sounds great to play a young player, but in reality, you actually have to find somebody worth playing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Go...please go!! Having the most tackles on the team means very little to me when he is usually getting those tackles 5-8 yards deep into Steeler territory. The missed tackles and the blow coverages stick out more to me. I personally do not want mediocrity at the center of the Steelers defense. That's just me. And I believe that if there was viable run stuffer next to Timmons, LeBeau would be more inclined to turn Timmons loose more often. Big picture.
    Dub, I agree with your point in the long run, but in the short term, the Steelers need to have somebody play ILB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Dub, I agree with your point in the long run, but in the short term, the Steelers need to have somebody play ILB.
    They need to trust young players. Young players are coming into the league and performing right away. Yes there will be some growing pains but if you get a talented one they can off set that with it. Kevin Minter played in a 3-4. He could come in right away and perform at a high level. I also think Manti Te'o could as well. A 4 year starter goes a long way.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

They need to trust young players. Young players are coming into the league and performing right away. Yes there will be some growing pains but if you get a talented one they can off set that with it. Kevin Minter played in a 3-4. He could come in right away and perform at a high level. I also think Manti Te'o could as well. A 4 year starter goes a long way.

Dub and I share the same feelings about young players. It really has boiled to the surface given the Steelers current situation. Nobody knows what Foote is looking for. Put yourself in his shoes. Is he looking for his last 2-3 year deal to close out his career? Will he play for a vet min of 1 mil? Is he worth anything more than that? I think it is simple. You take your chance on Foote when FA begins...Let his test the market. Spence may start the year on PUP so you open the competition. You tender Sylvester. You draft an ILB. You go to mini camp & camp and have Sylvester, Rolle, and the rookie battle it out. If coming out of camp, someone doesn't emerge as a starter...Foote may be on the street. He doesn't need a camp and he steps right in. The Steelers can't afford luxuries anymore...The young guys have become necessities when the year ended 8-8.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 01-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I agree with what you are saying, and think if the Steelers spend a premium pick on an ILB that he will be starting by week 8. But if the draft works out as you have it in your mock, with an OLB, WR and FS picked early (or include a RB, CB, OG, etc.) then you need somebody at ILB.

I would not feel comfortable going into a season with just Spence penciled in, and think that Foote (especially on a qualified vet deal) provides a valuable and potentially low-cost insurance policy.

Legend

User Info Menu

$$$$$ Trust the young guys and they could surprise you that they can get the job done. Other teams seem to have far less issues than we do getting young players time on the field and the old excuse about stars playing in front of them doesn't sell anymore. Foote ain't and bnever was a star. He is a journeyman plain and simple.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I agree with what you are saying, and think if the Steelers spend a premium pick on an ILB that he will be starting by week 8. But if the draft works out as you have it in your mock, with an OLB, WR and FS picked early (or include a RB, CB, OG, etc.) then you need somebody at ILB.

I would not feel comfortable going into a season with just Spence penciled in, and think that Foote (especially on a qualified vet deal) provides a valuable and potentially low-cost insurance policy.
    I am doing that in my mock because I think the Steelers, like they always have done, will draft highest rated player on their board regardless of when he will be ready.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I am doing that in my mock because I think the Steelers, like they always have done, will draft highest rated player on their board regardless of when he will be ready.
    I'm not questioning your mock. Just pointing out that the Steelers have a lot of needs, and keeping a veteran insurance policy at ILB who knows the system to pair with two unknowns, one of whom is coming off a severe injury, makes a lot of sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    $$$$$ Trust the young guys and they could surprise you that they can get the job done. Other teams seem to have far less issues than we do getting young players time on the field and the old excuse about stars playing in front of them doesn't sell anymore. Foote ain't and bnever was a star. He is a journeyman plain and simple.
    You like to throw out unsupported generalities, but they are not supported by specifics. By way of example, the 49ers have 2 starters on their defense with less than 6 years in the league. Bowman is a third year player and Aldon Smith (a conversion player!!) is in his second year. Smith, of course, was a top 10 pick. Every other starter on the defense has at least 6 years.

Experience matters. Knowing the system matters.

Typically, rookies either start because they were talented players drafted with a premium pick or because their team stinks. Sylvester has done nothing to push himself toward the field in 3 years. He's probably tapped out as a special teams player. Who even knows if Spence will be able to play from a health standpoint?