Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Larry foote stays or goes?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm not questioning your mock. Just pointing out that the Steelers have a lot of needs, and keeping a veteran insurance policy at ILB who knows the system to pair with two unknowns, one of whom is coming off a severe injury, makes a lot of sense.
    So let the young guys compete through mini camp & camp. If one doesn't emerge to start next to Timmons while Spence recovers bring Foote back. If he signs elsewhere...So be it. Remember..Rule 51. If Foote signs he will be counted against the cap through the offseason. I don't think he will sign for vet min. Guys like Rolle, Sylvester, and a draft choice would cost the same combined. Foote can be brought in any time. He doesn't need a camp. He isn't long term...Stop gap at best in 2013. They may find that in someone else.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 01-25-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Experience matters. Knowing the system matters.
    If that philosophy gets you 8-8...You move on.

However...That is a fair statement. You don't need it at every position though. SO the defense may return 8 starters if Lewis is retained (Hood, Keisel, Woodley, Timmons, Lewis, Taylor, Clark, & Polamalu). That is the definition of experience & knowing the system wouldn't you think? The three replacements may be guys that have been in the system for 3 years, a 2nd year player coming off injury, a player with 13 starts in two years with another team, or a roookie. I don't think keeping a 33 year old ILB around because he is experienced & knows the system should be the reason they jump to sign him. I think the reason should be they sign him because the other players given the opportunity didn't rise to the challange in camp. I definately get where you are coming from but an 8-8 season, Foote's play, & the Steelers cap situation doesn't scream "A must signing" to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If that philosophy gets you 8-8...You move on.

However...That is a fair statement. You don't need it at every position though. SO the defense may return 8 starters if Lewis is retained (Hood, Keisel, Woodley, Timmons, Lewis, Taylor, Clark, & Polamalu). That is the definition of experience & knowing the system wouldn't you think? The three replacements may be guys that have been in the system for 3 years, a 2nd year player coming off injury, a player with 13 starts in two years with another team, or a roookie. I don't think keeping a 33 year old ILB around because he is experienced & knows the system should be the reason they jump to sign him. I think the reason should be they sign him because the other players given the opportunity didn't rise to the challange in camp. I definately get where you are coming from but an 8-8 season, Foote's play, & the Steelers cap situation doesn't scream "A must signing" to me.
    I get where you are coming from as well and I wouldn't break the bank on Foote. My thought was a qualified deal (he is paid 900ish, but it counts for less against the cap), which I think he takes. He's said he doesn't want to leave. I wouldn't get in a bidding war, but doubt that anybody else offers him more.

I also don't see Foote as more than a stopgap, but I would not feel comfortable going into the season with Spence and Sylvester as the only options.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not questioning your mock. Just pointing out that the Steelers have a lot of needs, and keeping a veteran insurance policy at ILB who knows the system to pair with two unknowns, one of whom is coming off a severe injury, makes a lot of sense.
    Yeah I know you weren't.

Larry Foote will be 33 next year. He has 11 NFL seasons on that body. He is on the downside not the upside of his career. How many times do the Steelers keep going back to that well. One too many times could be a disaster.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash