Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 110

Thread: And With the 17th Overall Pick, the Steelers Choose....

  1. #71
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,273
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    So this is what makes a player a bust now?



    His performance on the field over the past 4 years does not reflect that. In fact it says the opposite.
    Yes... a decent career turned into a Heisman run his senior year and most of it was due to his dying girlfriend and grandmother passing. The ND defense was horrible the last 5 years or so and I think the wrong guy got the credit for the turnaround due to an off field hoax.

    The more I think about it this ND defense was down right horrible last year. Before this yeqr how many times did anyone hear Te'o's name as the leader of this amazing run stopoing D? ND's stats are tricky because they feasted on bad teams. Only 5 teams had winning records last year and this year I think they only played 4 teams who finished with winning records...

    Nix is the real reason this D was so good this year IMO. Te'o is or should be a second rounder or 3rd rounder. I trupy believe he is getting the Quinn, Clausen type boost from the teams name. I will definitely eat crow if he shines at the next level because I think he will struggle to get off blocks and get exposed in coverage vs NFL speed. He showed good hands this year but the last 3? Nada...
    Last edited by feltdizz; 01-25-2013 at 07:49 AM.

  2. #72
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Minter won't be around when we pick in Round 2.

    as for Rambo, he and Alex Ogletree were suspended for the first 4 games of this past season for marijuana use. I realize we drafted Mike Adams even though he was also a known pot smoker but after what happened with Ta'amu and Rainey this past season I believe both Rambo and Ogletree will be off our draft board.
    Minter is rated as the #1 ILB on CBS' website
    <a href="http://www.ticketmonster.com/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Tickets?aid=16567">Get Great Steelers Tickets!</a>

  3. #73
    I think there is a better chance that Te'o is around in the 2nd as opposed to Minter...

    If so, go for it!

  4. #74
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    We covered a lot of first round prospects and while I have my preference, I think the Steelers are going to go in another direction that not necessairly is a need position now but could be with our circumstances.

    1. Keenan Lewis:

    He'll test the market and probably get an offer that is better than what the Steelers can afford. While he had a good season I don't know if he's that top tier CB that is going to repeat his performance he had this season.

    2. Cortez Allen showed he can play the position just as well so I think he'll be our starter in 2013 opposite Ike Taylor and the Steelers might draft a CB in round one.


    3.In this pass happy league you can't have enough good CB's and beside that Ike is getting up there and we'll need to groom his replacement. Selecting a CB in the draft will be a more conducive to how the Steelers want to handle their cap situation by not overpaying Lewis and having more cash to sign others.


    4. Good Corners are hard to get, the Steelers have a shot to get a good one in the first round, if they wait later in the draft most of the good ones will be gone. I know we need ILB and OLB but they probably can get one later in the rounds.

    Any good ones we could draft?

    Your thoughts on Xavier Rhodes or Johnathan Banks.

  5. #75
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Minter won't be around when we pick in Round 2.

    as for Rambo, he and Alex Ogletree were suspended for the first 4 games of this past season for marijuana use. I realize we drafted Mike Adams even though he was also a known pot smoker but after what happened with Ta'amu and Rainey this past season I believe both Rambo and Ogletree will be off our draft board.
    Right not with a first round pick but a later round pick I can see them wiling to take a risk on a guy like Rambo. Using a 3rd round pick has less of a risk/loss factor than using a first. But the reward/gain factor could be a major hall for them.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  6. #76
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Yes... a decent career turned into a Heisman run his senior year.....
    You should have just stopped right there. None of that other stuff means anything in regard to what Te'o did on the field. And Nix is not responsible for the 7 INT's Te'o got this past season.

    And Te'o junior year he had 128 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and 5 sacks. His sophomore year, 133 tackles and 9.5 tackles for loss. If you didn't hear about him then you were not paying attention. That is a you problem.

    We get it felt, you are a hater when it comes to him and Notre Dame. To say he isnt a first round pick is flat out ridiculous.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  7. #77
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    You should have just stopped right there. None of that other stuff means anything in regard to what Te'o did on the field. And Nix is not responsible for the 7 INT's Te'o got this past season.

    And Te'o junior year he had 128 tackles, 13.5 tackles for loss and 5 sacks. His sophomore year, 133 tackles and 9.5 tackles for loss. If you didn't hear about him then you were not paying attention. That is a you problem.

    We get it felt, you are a hater when it comes to him and Notre Dame. To say he isnt a first round pick is flat out ridiculous.
    If we draft a ILB in the first round, I'd want Minter or Te'o. Minter appers a bit faster on tape. They both have good size for a 3-4 ILB. They both have good instincts and strength. Minter played against better competition on a consistent basis and still played extremely well. Quite honestly, I didn't know anything about Minter until he was mentioned on this board. After reading about him and watching several videos on him (not just highlights), I was really impressed and I think he'll be a very good 3-4 ILB.

    A player like Ogletree concerns me. Sure, he's extremely atheltic... I get that. At 6-3 232lbs, he is to small to play ILB in a 3-4. If he was 6-3 255lbs and showed good strength at the point of attack, I would feel different. Ogletree was running around making plays but his tape shows a lot of "roaming". They basically allowed him to play in space without having to fill holes and take on blockers. The reality is that a 3-4 ILB MUST have good vision, instincts and the ability to take on blocks, disengage and make a tackle. I don't see where Ogletree was asked to do this. He might be more of a 4-3 ILB.

    Historically, I was VERY critical of Timmons. After the first couple of games, Timmons really turned it on this year. My biggest complaint about Timmons was the same concern about Ogletree. Outside of the conerns I have about vision, the ability to fight through blocks, the "trash" on the inside, etc... he's even smaller than Timmons was coming out of college.
    <a href="http://www.ticketmonster.com/Pittsburgh-Steelers-Tickets?aid=16567">Get Great Steelers Tickets!</a>

  8. #78
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If we draft a ILB in the first round, I'd want Minter or Te'o. Minter appers a bit faster on tape. They both have good size for a 3-4 ILB. They both have good instincts and strength. Minter played against better competition on a consistent basis and still played extremely well. Quite honestly, I didn't know anything about Minter until he was mentioned on this board. After reading about him and watching several videos on him (not just highlights), I was really impressed and I think he'll be a very good 3-4 ILB.

    A player like Ogletree concerns me. Sure, he's extremely atheltic... I get that. At 6-3 232lbs, he is to small to play ILB in a 3-4. If he was 6-3 255lbs and showed good strength at the point of attack, I would feel different. Ogletree was running around making plays but his tape shows a lot of "roaming". They basically allowed him to play in space without having to fill holes and take on blockers. The reality is that a 3-4 ILB MUST have good vision, instincts and the ability to take on blocks, disengage and make a tackle. I don't see where Ogletree was asked to do this. He might be more of a 4-3 ILB.

    Historically, I was VERY critical of Timmons. After the first couple of games, Timmons really turned it on this year. My biggest complaint about Timmons was the same concern about Ogletree. Outside of the conerns I have about vision, the ability to fight through blocks, the "trash" on the inside, etc... he's even smaller than Timmons was coming out of college.
    I like Minter the best for us at ILB in the 3-4. The played very well against Alabama. He's a playa.

    As for Ogletree. Navarrow Bowman was 230lbs his senior year at PSU. He came to the combine 245lbs. Have you seen the dude now? He's yoked up to the sky. Timmons was 232lbs at the combine his draft year in 2007. He's 245 now.

    Ogletree has the frame to carry 20 more lbs easy. Ogletree needs to learn to use his hands and that can be taught by a good LB'er coach like Butler. Ogletree has the upside and the frame to play in any defense. We likely won't take him because of the character risk, but he is a perfect fit for defense like Chicago or Minnesota.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  9. #79
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Yakima, Washington, United States
    Posts
    1,383
    Unless a premier pass rusher at OLB is there that fits the Steelers 3-4, I would rather see them trade down in the first and pick up an extra third rounder and then take the BPA. So many needs; OLB, ILB, WR, S, TE, RB, OL, NT, possibly CB....crap.

  10. #80
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,433
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    If we draft a ILB in the first round, I'd want Minter or Te'o. Minter appers a bit faster on tape. They both have good size for a 3-4 ILB. They both have good instincts and strength. Minter played against better competition on a consistent basis and still played extremely well. Quite honestly, I didn't know anything about Minter until he was mentioned on this board. After reading about him and watching several videos on him (not just highlights), I was really impressed and I think he'll be a very good 3-4 ILB.

    A player like Ogletree concerns me. Sure, he's extremely atheltic... I get that. At 6-3 232lbs, he is to small to play ILB in a 3-4. If he was 6-3 255lbs and showed good strength at the point of attack, I would feel different. Ogletree was running around making plays but his tape shows a lot of "roaming". They basically allowed him to play in space without having to fill holes and take on blockers. The reality is that a 3-4 ILB MUST have good vision, instincts and the ability to take on blocks, disengage and make a tackle. I don't see where Ogletree was asked to do this. He might be more of a 4-3 ILB.

    Historically, I was VERY critical of Timmons. After the first couple of games, Timmons really turned it on this year. My biggest complaint about Timmons was the same concern about Ogletree. Outside of the conerns I have about vision, the ability to fight through blocks, the "trash" on the inside, etc... he's even smaller than Timmons was coming out of college.

    The "ability to fight through blocks, the "trash" on the inside, etc" is way overrated in today's NFL. It is an archaic notion when most of the offense was about running the ball. When was the last time we lost a game because of the opponents run game. We lose lots of games because of the opponents ability to pass. It is much, much more importnat now that Linebackers have the ability to cover, blitz and move side to side than be old fashioned "run Stuffers." Offense is about speed in today's NFL and defenders need to be speedy run and hit types.

    The reason that Timmons is our best LB is because he is the model of what a LB needs to be in today's NFL.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •