Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 110

Thread: And With the 17th Overall Pick, the Steelers Choose....

  1. #11
    Pro Bowler pfelix73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Mid-Atlantic US
    Posts
    2,271
    Well said, and I couldn't agree more. He's gonna be special, off the field too in charity work, etc, and I believe the Steelers will take stock in that, they always have...I didn't need to see it either, but so glad I did. I wasn't looking for it, but the Couric show just happened to be on and I got to see it..
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

    2012 MNF Executive Champion






  2. #12
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    pfelix73 I dont think you are that far off. The kid doesn't do any spectacular but he does most everything well. And what makes him who he is and will be at the next level is...he's a football player.
    Doesn't make him a first round pick or worth one.

    As I've said before, there is nothing about him that stands above what Ogletree, Minter, Khaseem Greene, or Arthur Brown brings to the table as MLB'ers.

    Ogletree is the one MLB'er that has an amazing upside. He has character issues, so the Steelers probably will avoid him. But Ogletree might just be one of the top 3 MLB'ers in the league within 2 years.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Well said, and I couldn't agree more. He's gonna be special, off the field too in charity work, etc, and I believe the Steelers will take stock in that, they always have...I didn't need to see it either, but so glad I did. I wasn't looking for it, but the Couric show just happened to be on and I got to see it..
    One more thing about Te'o...he's a 4 year starter at Notre Dame. Too me, he's as ready for immediate NFL returns as anyone in this draft. Plug and play.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I'd still take him. I think some are now under-evaluating him. He is a lot better than most people think. He will be a steady force in the NFL for 10-12 years. And he will bring leadership and play calling from one of the most important positions on the field.

    I didn't need to watch his interview to know this is a fine young man. Quality human being with great parents. We are becoming a society that tends to have more of a problem with good people in the lime-light than the bad people. We seem to doubt them more. Be more critical and suspicious of them. Disbelieving. A truly sad state.
    cmon Dub, do honestly believe this kid was so naive, he knew nothing about this and then continued to lie about this fake dead girlfriend? I'm not sure he can be an effective leader as you suggest. Some players will always think he made up the girlfriend to hide his sexuality.

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    One more thing about Te'o...he's a 4 year starter at Notre Dame. Too me, he's as ready for immediate NFL returns as anyone in this draft. Plug and play.
    I've seen this argument before with plenty of players. Doesn't mean anything. He's athletically limited and that is what is going to hurt him. He might have the experience to know where to be, but it is all sped up about 10x from the competition he was playing against.

    That is what was so damning about the Alabama game. He knew where to be, just couldn't make the plays against the closest thing to an NFL team he faced all year.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Doesn't make him a first round pick or worth one.

    As I've said before, there is nothing about him that stands above what Ogletree, Minter, Khaseem Greene, or Arthur Brown brings to the table as MLB'ers.

    Ogletree is the one MLB'er that has an amazing upside. He has character issues, so the Steelers probably will avoid him. But Ogletree might just be one of the top 3 MLB'ers in the league within 2 years.
    I disagree with you. I think he is a first round pick and I would rather have him than Greene and Brown, two LB's who are not fits as ILB in a 3-4. Ogletree is a freak athletically no question about it but he comes with baggage and is not great coming forward versus the run. Point of attack. That is what the Steelers need next to Timmons.

    I think Minter and Te'o are very comparable.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

    That is what was so damning about the Alabama game. He knew where to be, just couldn't make the plays against the closest thing to an NFL team he faced all year.
    I think we are now finding out there there was some pretty serious things on Manti Te'o's mind 3 days prior to this game.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  8. #18
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,354
    Te'o ... it's just a hunch.

  9. #19
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    cmon Dub, do honestly believe this kid was so naive, he knew nothing about this and then continued to lie about this fake dead girlfriend? I'm not sure he can be an effective leader as you suggest. Some players will always think he made up the girlfriend to hide his sexuality.
    Yes I do. He is a very rooted, religious, soft spoken, humble person. He believed in something that turned out to be a hoax. I am sure this hurt him and affected him more than the average person. To the point where at times he probably felt it was better to simply not tell or admit the truth. Hurt can cause some to be in denial. I think he was for a while.

    But so be it. If this is the worst thing this kid ever does then big deal.
    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1-Darqueze Dennard CB Michigan State
    2-Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-Jordan Tripp ILB/OLB Montana
    4-Christian Jones ILB Florida State
    5-Brent Urban DE Virginia
    5-Michael Schofield OG/OT Michigan
    6-Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State
    6-Ben Gardner DE Stanford
    7-Aaron Colvin CB Oklahoma

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,403
    Pretty much agree with Dee Dub in that if this is the absolute worst thing he ever does.... well, what's the problem? Outside of this.... scandal (which nobody really knows any 'truth' about- just a whole lot of suggestion & assumption)... has he done anything wrong?

    Big Rob's argument amount being shown up by Alabama has some merit. Maybe Te'o isn't Junior Seau reborn. He was probably over-hyped, and now it looks like the reverse is happening. He didn't become a bad player based on one game anymore than Ben became Kordell Stewart based on the last few games of 2012. Te'os body of work is solid. For Chadman, the best comparison is Paul Poszluzny- he is solid in all aspects of the game without having that 'whoa' factor that a Willis or Timmons bring to the table. If that makes or does not make him a 1st rounder is yet to be determined.

    He'll be heavily scrutinized at the Combine, and his Pro Day. Expect him to be the most interviewed player at the Combine.

    He's not necessarily the player Chadman would pick, but if he was "the pick", Chadman wouldn't be looking for the nearest bridge to jump off, either.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •