Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remember NOBODY here wanted J Caldwell as our OC?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The guy figured out you have to get the ball in Ray Rice's hands 25 times a game. I think any one of us would have done that if we had been named their coordinator. I still don't give Caldwell any credit. Denver gave that game away to them and Flacco has been very lucky.

Can anybody tell I hate the Ratbirds and never want to give them any credit.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

The guy figured out you have to get the ball in Ray Rice's hands 25 times a game. I think any one of us would have done that if we had been named their coordinator. I still don't give Caldwell any credit.
    That strategy was also done in 2010, 2011. That does not result in Flaccos recent tear.

Denver gave that game away to them and Flacco has been very lucky.
    Peyton choked true, but Flacco did not. That is the difference between who won the game.

Can anybody tell I hate the Ratbirds and never want to give them any credit.
    As long as you admit it, we get it.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Clearly you are "biased" according to Rob
    Yeah, it's called confirmation bias. It's simple. Some people wanted Caldwell here. He goes the ravens and becomes the OC in the last 3 games. Ravens have lots of success. It must be Caldwell, right? We Should have hired him! Oh Noes!

But you then ignore all of the other variables that were probably more important.

1. They kept the playbook the same.
    2. Joe Flacco and Ray Rice didn't like Cam Cameron
    3. They like Caldwell because he wasn't Cameron.
    4. They switched their oline around that couldn't protect Joe Flacco.
    5. Caldwell actually asked Joe for input into what plays he liked.
    6. Joe's more secure in his relationship to his coaches and is getting better protection.
    7. He plays better.

Really not a whole lot to do with Caldwell. Wait until teams get a whole offseason to analyze what Caldwell is calling.

P.S. Success with one team does not guarantee success with another. He may have sucked here too.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Caldwell has done a nice job. The play calling better suits the QB's tastes. However, the line changes were huge and this is still basically the offense created by Cameron. Caldwell has not designed much, but he has tailored or streamlined what was there to fit Flacco's strengths.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

you cant blame the coach for the qb not throwing picks
    you cant blame the coach for the rbs not fumbling
    you cant blame the coach for the oline not getting injured
    you cant blame the coach for the players being motivated

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I would love to have Warmack.

What if....we draft him, Decastro and our young tackles make a huge leap in effectiveness.
    Our oline is the best Ben has ever had.
    At the same time we hire say...Chan Gailey again.

What if we average 30 a game.

The growth in the oline would be big .....but would Gailey not deserve praise for the job he has done?

If we averaged 30 points a game, yes I would give Gailey or whoever is the OC credit, but the real credit goes to the O-line for that change from 21 to 30 a game.
    WE got the cart, now get Warmack to pull it. : )

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Yeah, it's called confirmation bias. It's simple. Some people wanted Caldwell here. He goes the ravens and becomes the OC in the last 3 games. Ravens have lots of success. It must be Caldwell, right? We Should have hired him!

P.S. Success with one team does not guarantee success with another. He may have sucked here too.
    The thing is Rob, you said "I" was biased. I did NOT want Caldwell. I said it in my original post. Where is my bias?
    SteelCrazy, said nada about Caldwells current success, just replied to my post, so it doesnt apply there either.

I am SURPRISED by Caldwells success, had no expectation of it.

The "playbook" is overrated and far less important than play calling. "When" you call "what" plays, is a far bigger deal than your playbook, which for most teams is huge. That is exactly why I did not want Caldwell and thought Peyton carried him, Peyton called the plays.

You have a point about success on one team does not mean he would have it here, and time will tell whether it lasts. Nevertheless he is having more offensive success in this run than that team has had in its history, success we have not seen on our team during a 6 or 7 game stretch in recent memory.

I don't how he would do here, but I no longer am convinced it would have been a definite mistake like I once did.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Yeah, it's called confirmation bias. It's simple. Some people wanted Caldwell here. He goes the ravens and becomes the OC in the last 3 games. Ravens have lots of success. It must be Caldwell, right? We Should have hired him! Oh Noes!

But you then ignore all of the other variables that were probably more important.

1. They kept the playbook the same.
    2. Joe Flacco and Ray Rice didn't like Cam Cameron
    3. They like Caldwell because he wasn't Cameron.
    4. They switched their oline around that couldn't protect Joe Flacco.
    5. Caldwell actually asked Joe for input into what plays he liked.
    6. Joe's more secure in his relationship to his coaches and is getting better protection.
    7. He plays better.

Really not a whole lot to do with Caldwell. Wait until teams get a whole offseason to analyze what Caldwell is calling.

Who wanted Caldwell? You are talking like the OP is is saying "i told you so" but no one has admitted to wanting him. I think we are all surprised by his success. Streamlining the playbook and giving the QB what he wants is huge... and it hasnt been a Ray Rice festival. He had 2 fumbles in the Indy game and is now sharing touches with a rookie.

If Haley gets fired next year midseason and Kirby takes over, the OL gets flipped and plays better and we go on an amazing run Im sure people would give Kirby credit.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Your bias come through big time. Your attributing success to one man without considering other improvements that may have lead to Flacco's success.

Mainly that they changed up their O-line at this time. Mckinnie came out of the doghouse to play left tackle. That moved Oher to right tackle and Osemele to left guard. They now go Mckinnie, Osemele, Birk, Yanda, Oher. They have been playing as an elite line since this change.

You don't think having all day to throw is helping Flacco?
    Not only has their line done well but he has two physical WR and a RB tandem that is up there with the best in the NFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Caldwell is a step up from Cameron probably b/c Peyton Manning taught him half of what he knows.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!