Thread: Ben's Contract Extension will detremine when it's time For His Replacement

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ben's Contract Extension will determine when it's time For His Replacement

Gerry: Ben's contract extension will determine when it's time to find his heir apparent Friday, 25 January 2013 12:19 Written by Gerry Dulac With no quarterback other than Ben Roethlisberger under contract, the Steelers need to acquire at least one and possibly two new backups in the offseason.

The most plausible solution will be to re-sign Charlie Batch, who proved in the second half in Baltimore he can still be an effective backup, and draft a quarterback on the middle rounds in April. That rookie can then be groomed to be Roethlisberger’s eventual backup.

But here’s an interesting question posed to me by a member of the Steelers:

When do they draft a quarterback who will be groomed to be Roethlisberger’s eventual replacement, not just his backup?

Roethlisberger has three years remaining on the eight-year, $102 million contract he signed before the 2008 season. If the Steelers follow form and do what they did five years ago, they will extend Roethlisberger’s contract with two years remaining on this deal – or after the 2013 season.

The question then remains, for how long?

Roethlisberger will be 32 when he heads into the 2014 season and the Steelers will have to decide how many more years they think he will last as their quarterback. The decision might not have as much to do with his ability to be effective as it will the ability of his body to survive.

Roethlisberger has yet to make to it through a full 16-game season since becoming the starter. The list of his injuries in that time could stretch halfway to Cleveland. It’s one of the reasons the Steelers talk about Roethlisberger “tweaking” his game and being smarter with the ball -- i.e., throwing it away instead of always trying to make a play. It’s about self-preservation, now that he’s in his 30s.

Once the Steelers determine how long they will extend his contract, then they can probably determine the appropriate time to start looking for his replacement.

That time is not now. Right now, it is time to draft a quarterback who can be an effective backup. Roethlisberger’s medical history has shown the need to have a player who can step in and help them win. Maybe he develops into a surprise future starter. Tom Brady, after all, was a sixth-round draft choice. Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson were third-round choices.

Or maybe he just becomes Brian St. Pierre or Dennis Dixon, a pair of drafted quarterbacks who hung around as backups for two or three years.

If the Steelers draft a quarterback, and they should, he doesn’t have to be the heir apparent. But, what the Steelers do next year with Roethlisberger’s contract will speak to when that time comes.

In 2014 I draft a QB in round one no matter what our other needs are.[/B] I think we'll have Batch this year and might need to get an undrafted QB for mop up work. I don't know if QB will be on the list of the seven picks we have thats why I said undrafted.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-25-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jerrod showed me something to look at again. Can't understand why he was let go. Keep him and Batch (as a coach?) and make it work.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I have a post about Tim Tebow considering switching positions in the around the NFL section.

Tim averaged 5 yrds. a carry when he ran, imagine we get him to run the ball plus play backup QB, two players for one price.

Nah, they won't do it.

If the Steelers did something like this the talk show would be off the charts, ESPEN would have a field day with this and the Fans would be excited, thinking this might just work.

Ok, back to reality which round do we select a RB, i say around 4.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 01-26-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I would like them to look at Zac Dysert in the middle rounds. Comes from the same program as Ben but needs development.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Tom Brady, after all, was a sixth-round draft choice. Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson were third-round choices.
    Kaepernick was a 2nd round pick (36th overall) in 2011. After the Bengals drafted Andy Dalton with the 35th overall pick, the Niners picked Kaep next.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Kaepernick was a 2nd round pick (36th overall) in 2011. After the Bengals drafted Andy Dalton with the 35th overall pick, the Niners picked Kaep next.

I posted what Dulac stated in the article, I didn't post where either of those QB's were drafted.