Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: If the Steelers draft Warmack then.....

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Lane Johnson, Eric Fisher or Chance Warmack would all be great Round 1 picks. If the OTs are on the board they are obviously the priority if we don't resign Starks. If we do the smart thing and resign Starks and give Adams and Gilbert time to grow into the LT position and fight for it go for Warmack.
    I agree Ovi, fix it up front on the LOS and everything will fall into place, on the offense.

Administrator

User Info Menu

How many teams in the NFL have an o-line that consists entirely of 1st and 2nd round picks?

We will....

If Starks is not resigned and Gilbert starts at LT (which is the rumor) and we draft Warmack.

The problem?

We don't have a legit starting running back.

We have a QB that will still take to long to throw the ball and will probably get hurt in the process.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    How many teams in the NFL have an o-line that consists entirely of 1st and 2nd round picks?

We will....

If Starks is not resigned and Gilbert starts at LT (which is the rumor) and we draft Warmack.

The problem?

We have a QB that will still take to long to throw the ball and will probably get hurt in the process.
    I have no problem with having a line consisting of first and second round picks. If we landed Fisher for LT though we would have 4 out of 5 being 1st or 2nd round picks with Beachum at LG being a 7th round pick. The STeelers have sucked at drafting and identifying guys in the trenches that can play some damn football after round 2.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I have no problem with having a line consisting of first and second round picks. If we landed Fisher for LT though we would have 4 out of 5 being 1st or 2nd round picks with Beachum at LG being a 7th round pick. The STeelers have sucked at drafting and identifying guys in the trenches that can play some damn football after round 2.
    I am not saying that I disagree with that. But do you fix the underlying problem which appears to be:

1) The teaching and development of o-line and d-line
    2) Talent evaluation at the o-line / d-line position. I think it has less to due with #2 and more to do with #1.

Or do you sacrifice every other position on the team because of #1 and/or #2. I'd prefer to fix the underlying problem myself instead of neglecting the rest of the team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am not saying that I disagree with that. But do you fix the underlying problem which appears to be:

1) The teaching and development of o-line and d-line
    2) Talent evaluation at the o-line / d-line position. I think it has less to due with #2 and more to do with #1.

Or do you sacrifice every other position on the team because of #1 and/or #2. I'd prefer to fix the underlying problem myself instead of neglecting the rest of the team.
    I would say it is mostly the players themselves. Kemoeatu was a moron. Colon is a walking injury. Foster seems fairly solid. Urbik should of remained a Steeler.

Everything I read about Kugler was that the players loved the guy and he was a great coach. Not real sure what to think about the DL because we have had Keisel-Smith-Hampton forever.....maybe Heyward and Hood will turn into solid players for us.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Tony Hills was a 4th round pick. Urbik was a 3rd round pick. I thought Hills was going to be solid but obviously, he didn't turn out. The Urbik situation is definitely a head scratcher.

The Kemo and Colon situation was a failure. They should have never been signed to long term deals.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If your draft & they play to their potential...Business side...You can't pay 3 1st round interior OL & 2 2nd round OTs. They will all have to be paid at the same time off their rookie deals. You will be talking 5 players who will earn in the 4-8 mil a year range. You are going to have to develop the "holes". Steelers had good luck over the past three drafts. Well..Luck has a price too. Pouncey is due. Maybe highest paid C. Gilbert to follow. A LT or RT is not cheap. Then Adams & DeCastro in the same year. LG will be open to Beachum and _____, ______, _______ . I have a hard time believing that list will contain a draft choice before the 3rd round given the Steelers sitaution.

I'm not sitting in Colberts & Rooneys meetings but I think the OL & DL are not at the Top of the list of concerns over the next several years. They have alot of high draft choices that need to see the field and they need to move out the vets in favor of them. They paid for a winner...And got 8-8. The next step is obvious.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If your draft & they play to their potential...Business side...You can't pay 3 1st round interior OL & 2 2nd round OTs. They will all have to be paid at the same time off their rookie deals. You will be talking 5 players who will earn in the 4-8 mil a year range. You are going to have to develop the "holes". Steelers had good luck over the past three drafts. Well..Luck has a price too. Pouncey is due. Maybe highest paid C. Gilbert to follow. A LT or RT is not cheap. Then Adams & DeCastro in the same year. LG will be open to Beachum and _____, ______, _______ . I have a hard time believing that list will contain a draft choice before the 3rd round given the Steelers sitaution.

I'm not sitting in Colberts & Rooneys meetings but I think the OL & DL are not at the Top of the list of concerns over the next several years. They have alot of high draft choices that need to see the field and they need to move out the vets in favor of them. They paid for a winner...And got 8-8. The next step is obvious.
    To me, I would say the OT's and OC are the most important and you realistically should be able to draft mid round guys to play OG and have one ready and groomed every 4 years. Even RT's can be groomed. LT and OC are key. But they have drafted some absolute bums over the past few years.

Legend

User Info Menu

We will....

The problem?

It doesn't matter where they were picked the day after the draft. What matters is the performance on the field. Right now we aren't getting that and if it means we have to add more talent then chock that up as a lesson learned and fix the problem. Don't ignore real problems or minimalize them because of who and when we drafted in the past---it is still a problems for any number of reasosn: injuries, coaching, etc.

According to that logic we shouldn't draft another defensive lineman in Round 1 or 2 for at least a few more years. That is just crazy logic to me.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    To me, I would say the OT's and OC are the most important and you realistically should be able to draft mid round guys to play OG and have one ready and groomed every 4 years. Even RT's can be groomed. LT and OC are key. But they have drafted some absolute bums over the past few years.
    M.P.--a couple of years ago I was singing that song loud and clear too but I think the increased emphasis on passing over running and more passing on first down has changed that. You need better talent across the OL for pass protection against better pass rushers. Mid to late round guys rarely help now unless you get lucky.

I won't say we drafted bums because I don't think we have an adequete sample size of these guys staying healthy to say anything. But I don't think we can ignore the position just hoping all wil be well. If there is top OL talent at #17 we have to consider that for the long term and depth.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"