Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: If the Steelers draft Warmack then.....

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    It doesn't matter where they were picked the day after the draft. What matters is the performance on the field. Right now we aren't getting that and if it means we have to add more talent then chock that up as a lesson learned and fix the problem. Don't ignore real problems or minimalize them because of who and when we drafted in the past---it is still a problems for any number of reasosn: injuries, coaching, etc.

According to that logic we shouldn't draft another defensive lineman in Round 1 or 2 for at least a few more years. That is just crazy logic to me.
    It's not crazy logic. It does matter where they got picked especially when you drafted a Guard and OT 1st and 2nd last year. If they think DeCastro is a bust then yea... draft Warmack.

Warmack won't be the pick. As JPN said... it doesn't make sense for the future of this team. What happens when these guys are due their 2nd (most lucrative) contracts. This brings me back to my original post... Let's say they all turn out to be good starters. You can't sign all of them. So, the team is just wasting these picks (1st and 2nd rounders) knowing that they'll only be on the team for their rookie contracts. Thats basically wasting a pick.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    If your draft & they play to their potential...Business side...You can't pay 3 1st round interior OL & 2 2nd round OTs. They will all have to be paid at the same time off their rookie deals. You will be talking 5 players who will earn in the 4-8 mil a year range. You are going to have to develop the "holes". Steelers had good luck over the past three drafts. Well..Luck has a price too. Pouncey is due. Maybe highest paid C. Gilbert to follow. A LT or RT is not cheap. Then Adams & DeCastro in the same year. LG will be open to Beachum and _____, ______, _______ . I have a hard time believing that list will contain a draft choice before the 3rd round given the Steelers sitaution.

I'm not sitting in Colberts & Rooneys meetings but I think the OL & DL are not at the Top of the list of concerns over the next several years. They have alot of high draft choices that need to see the field and they need to move out the vets in favor of them. They paid for a winner...And got 8-8. The next step is obvious.
    Why worry about having to pay Gilbert and Adams? First, they need to prove they deserve the money. I believe that one of them will probably pan out and be a good pro. But, both of them? That is some serious optimism at this point. Heck, it is just as likely that one of them will become injury prone or suffer a career threatening injury.

Also, if we draft a WR, pass rusher, or CB in the first and he pans out, we'll have to pay him the same sort of big bucks in 5 years time. I'm less concerned with the actual position and more concerned with getting an impact player at 17 even if he is an offensive linemen.

Finally, DeCastro's contract has an option for a fifth year so he and Adams will likely not come due at the same time.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Why worry about having to pay Gilbert and Adams? First, they need to prove they deserve the money. I believe that one of them will probably pan out and be a good pro. But, both of them? That is some serious optimism at this point. Heck, it is just as likely that one of them will become injury prone or suffer a career threatening injury.

Also, if we draft a WR, pass rusher, or CB in the first and he pans out, we'll have to pay him the same sort of big bucks in 5 years time. I'm less concerned with the actual position and more concerned with getting an impact player at 17 even if he is an offensive linemen.

Finally, DeCastro's contract has an option for a fifth year so he and Adams will likely not come due at the same time.
    Exactly my point ...

#1 - They are impact players

#2 - The money won't be wrapped up in the same position

I'd rather spread out my 1st and 2nd picks and develop the entire team...not one aspect of it.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'll concede that the Steelers won't draft a G at least this early if any. I like Warmack but the Steelers have other plans I believe so even if he's there I don't think the Steelers would pick him.

I have a list of possible picks maybe not in order but positions we need to fill, it won't wow you but it seems reasonable to me considering the circumstances.

1. Xavier Rhodes Florida State / or another CB

2. Tyler Eifert TE ND

3. Sean Porter OLB Texas A&M

4. Le'Veon Bell RB Michigan State

5. Shawn Williams ss Georgia

6. Aaron Mellette WR Elon 6'3 - 216

7.A.J. KLEIN ILB Iowa State

Legend

User Info Menu

Chance Warmack is rated in the top 5 players (at any position) in this draft. If he falls to 1.17 the Steelers will take him and not look back, that's what they do, they draft BPA and I'm guessing that unless there are some drastic problems with the players rated ahead of Warmack they will all be gone by 1.17. You can't get enough value when you draft and Warmack would be tremendous value at 1.17, it's not like all the linemen drafted by the Steelers recently are lighting it up (regardless of reason). If he's there, he'll be a Steeler in my opinion.

I'm curious what you guys and gals would think about the following scenario. If Geno Smith (14th rated player) and/or Matt Barkley (20th rated player) are available at 1.17 do the Steelers consider either one of them? It looks like Smith will be gone, but who knows, I don't think either of these guys is in the same zip code as Luck, Griffin and Wilson as far as being ready to play in the NFL, so if one falls to 1.17 do the Steelers consider the future and groom one of them for the next three to four years? I've seen a lot of negative comments on Barkley and I think I would stay away from a USC quarterback (Palmer, Cassel, Sanchez and Leinart are enough reasons for me), but either of these guys could be a reasonably priced backup and potential replacement if you think they'll develop into an NFL caliber quarterback.

Just curious...

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 01-25-2013 at 12:48 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Chance Warmack is rated in the top 5 players (at any position) in this draft. If he falls to 1.17 the Steelers will take him and not look back, that's what they do, they draft BPA and I'm guessing that unless there are some drastic problems with the players rated ahead of Warmack they will all be gone by 1.17. You can't get enough value when you draft and Warmack would be tremendous value at 1.17, it's not like all the linemen drafted by the Steelers recently are lighting it up (regardless of reason). If he's there, he'll be a Steeler in my opinion.

Pappy
    If Warmack is that good, I easily could see the Steelers trading back a few spots and getting more picks...if Warmack is that good, a team in the 20s will be willing to part with some picks to get him...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm curious what you guys and gals would think about the following scenario. If Geno Smith (14th rated player) and/or Matt Barkley (20th rated player) are available at 1.17 do the Steelers consider either one of them? It looks like Smith will be gone, but who knows, I don't think either of these guys is in the same zip code as Luck, Griffin and Wilson as far as being ready to play in the NFL, so if one falls to 1.17 do the Steelers consider the future and groom one of them for the next three to four years? I've seen a lot of negative comments on Barkley and I think I would stay away from a USC quarterback (Palmer, Cassel, Sanchez and Leinart are enough reasons for me), but either of these guys could be a reasonably priced backup and potential replacement if you think they'll develop into an NFL caliber quarterback.

Just curious...

Pappy[/QUOTE]

Pappy, No on the QB.

I don't see any QB in this draft that could be the replacement for Ben down the road. Yeah, we could get a backup but we have so many pressing needs QB is down the list. I think next year the Steelers will look to draft a QB early maybe even in round one or move up to get one if there is a good draft for QB's.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post

Having Negative optimism will negate talent where needed if you keep thinking like that. The Steelers injected talent on the OL & DL over the past several years early. You don't pass on a player because you are in that situation but you don't seek them out as a need until your investment matures.

The impact of drafting OL high over several years will create a log jam of cotracts. You don't draft a guy that high with the thoughts he will be a "quality" OL. Pouncey, Gilbert, Adams, and DeCastro were drafted high because of where they were at & who they thought they would become. Their bar is set high. There is no reason to believe at this point they will not ALL hit that level of play. All of them will come off their rookie deals over a three year period for the most part. The OL is not the area of concern...It is an area of youth, talent, and inexperience. You don't keep throwing logs on the fire until it starts burning hot enough for you. You have to give it time to catch.

With 4 of the 5 starters in place on the OL. 2-1st rounders & 2-2nd rounders with Avg. age of 23.

And....
    If Wallace walks & Lewis is retained.
    Foster, Starks, & Mendy gone.
    Harrison & Colon are cut.
    Hampton & Foote not brought back.
    Miller & Spence on PUP.

You biggest impact player in the 1st for 2013 is a LG?

Interesting conclusion.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I'll concede that the Steelers won't draft a G at least this early if any. I like Warmack but the Steelers have other plans I believe so even if he's there I don't think the Steelers would pick him.

I have a list of possible picks maybe not in order but positions we need to fill, it won't wow you but it seems reasonable to me considering the circumstances.

1. Xavier Rhodes Florida State / or another CB

2. Tyler Eifert TE ND

3. Sean Porter OLB Texas A&M

4. Le'Veon Bell RB Michigan State

5. Shawn Williams ss Georgia

6. Aaron Mellette WR Elon 6'3 - 216

7.A.J. KLEIN ILB Iowa State
    This is a good list. Xavier Rhodes is not in the top 5 corners in this draft, however, he is fit for the Steeler 3-4. Big, strong, physical, and long in length. He isnt great at man to man but he isnt horrible either. Shawn Williams is a prototypical SS thumper. He isnt going to win any coverage contests but at the LOS and inside the box he is going to bring it. I would prefer Zach Ertz over Eifert simply because he brings a dimension that Heath Miller does not have. He can stretch a defense. Take the top off the center of the field. A.J. Klein is a tackling machine. He is a good fit at ILB in a 3-4.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post

Just curious...

Pappy
    If Warmack falls to #17 then there is something wrong with him. If any of Joekel, Milliner, Fisher, Werner, Moore, Jones, Lotulelei, Johnson, or Rhodes are there...I'm picking one of them before Warmack. If they are all gone, I'm hoping my phone rings. If they can't trade back...He would have to be the highest rated player on my board & It can't be close. There could be the Top at WR, S, & ILB on the baord too. We will see where they start grading out. There could be teams looking to jump up for a 4-3 DE or ILB or back in for a QB. That card will be walked to the podium in no hurry if they have to stick to their board & take a Warmack. I'm sure they will listen to trades at that point.

No to QB at #17. I don't like ANY of the 1st round QBs as true "franchise" guys. I don't think there is one single QB at the top who wouldn't be pushed out of the 1st if you add previous years 1st rounders. When the ceiling on guys like Bray, Jones, or Manuel are the same as the first rounders...Not a good year to be looking for a franchise QB.